Buriram nurse scammed out of THB400,000 by American Facebook boyfriend

webfact

Disclaimer to any kindly souls defending the lass - I'm just poking a bit of fun at her picture. It's humour, don't take it too seriously. I myself am painfully unphotogenic, always get red eye in pictures and look like I'm high or drunk. My avatar is a good example of that.

Could we stop the BS about the "poor unfortunate woman", please? Greed, superficiality and stupidity lead to loss of money in most such cases as well as in this particular case. Thousands of foreign men, who think they are THE ONE to their beloved "Nok", "Goong", "Plaa", "Pang", whatever, are tricked into losing millions day by day, with those girls each are playing several other "Johns", "Robs", "Petes", "Franks", and "Pauls" at the same time like slot machines... What goes around, comes around!

Like we foreigners are told daily by Thais when it comes to complaining about double standards, overcharging, national park fees, the legal 49% foreign / 51% Thai business scam, being ripped off by Thais daily, etc...: "Stop whining, and go away if you don't like being taken advantage of!"

I believe this applies as well to the nurse from Buriram!

Yeah, perhaps there's an element of greed here since the cover story she was given was that she had to pay shipping/handling charges for a $1million+ gift.

But then, how do you react to all those male pensioners here that get scammed by pretty-young-things? They're fleeced, not because of monetary greed, but because of 'sexual greed' (aka lust), yet we typically express sympathy for them and disparage the woman. Hmmm...

True but at least pensioners get some sex and clean house in return, in this case she did not even have enough brain to request Skype or any other video chat

Anyone know how a nurse in Buriram gets 400,000 baht in the 1st place??

What an insensitive, ignorant and arrogant anti-Thai comment, so typical of some expats here...

Why would a Thai nurse not have 400 000 bahts through inheritance, savings (she's 39 years old), whatever ?

So many white expats here think that bar girls (or boys) represent the whole of Thailand, it's disheartening. And hardly surprising that more and more Thais now also assume that all white people are like those expats. Racism is getting worse on both sides due to this kind of attitude based on nothing but judgmental clichés.

I'm waiting for "The shoe's on the other foot now" comments!!! whistling.gif

Yea, and they would be highly inappropriate and indicative of cold hearts and immature mentalities.

I feel sad for the woman. 400k is an awful lot of cash for a Thai nurse to lose. Hope the guy gets in a head-on with a telephone pole on the way to the bank.

Does Facebook not cooperate in fraud investigations? Anybody have advice how she could pursue such a process?

Might be a case of her giving out her money wilfully.

Same as when I 'wilfully' (police words) gave 100,000 bahts in 4 months to a cheating girlfriend.

In this instance, this nurse surely transferred wilfully 400,000 bahts (a lot) to an american guy, with black skin, located somewhere in Nigeria.....

Will hurt her more than it hurt me then...

I feel really sorry for these women that fall victims to unscrupulous scammers.

The dream of getting a farang husband and having a better life is still at large in Thailand.

Hope that these scams get better coverage on Thai media to warn future victims.

Till then.....we will be hearing again and again of similar cases.

Why feel sorry for stupid?

First she was stupid to call someone she does not even know a boyfriend

Second she was stupid to believe someone she does not know to be a boyfriend

Third she was stupid to think someone would give her 1.1 million dollars

Lastly she was stupid to think someone who gave her 1.1 million dollars would not pay $10000 postage .

She then was even more stupid to think postage can cost $10000.

Did she think her bf was sending her a house?

What a rather lame list of excuses...you sir, are a vile apologist....

He might be but I totally agree with him.

one born every minute.

Why say that? The poor sod has a good heart,unlike you.

Why mock her? you sit there behind your desktop, having a lovely time mocking poor souls make a mistake

But I guess your the Mr perfect.

He is and he is right with his comment.

I feel really sorry for these women that fall victims to unscrupulous scammers.

The dream of getting a farang husband and having a better life is still at large in Thailand.

Hope that these scams get better coverage on Thai media to warn future victims.

Till then.....we will be hearing again and again of similar cases.

Why feel sorry for stupid?

First she was stupid to call someone she does not even know a boyfriend

Second she was stupid to believe someone she does not know to be a boyfriend

Third she was stupid to think someone would give her 1.1 million dollars

Lastly she was stupid to think someone who gave her 1.1 million dollars would not pay $10000 postage .

She then was even more stupid to think postage can cost $10000.

Did she think her bf was sending her a house?

Well, how about that...

Finally I have found someone who has never done anything stupid in his entire life...

You deserve a trophy..that comes with a 400,000 bahts prize as well...

• Like 1

On the opposite side of every con is an equally greedy mark. I'm just blown away that this massively obvious scam works like silk on glass, over and over and over and over -- It's just like the EveryReady Bunnie with nuclear batteries. coffee1.gif There must be a sh*tload of really well off scam artists across the world -- and regardless of what this says, the chances of Prince (just got 400K richer) Charming is an American is about zero.

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

I learned this from my Grandad at a very young age: "There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch." If it looks too good to be true, it isn't. Run!

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

What an insensitive, ignorant and arrogant anti-Thai comment, so typical of some expats here...

Why would a Thai nurse not have 400 000 bahts through inheritance, savings (she's 39 years old), whatever ?

So many white expats here think that bar girls (or boys) represent the whole of Thailand, it's disheartening. And hardly surprising that more and more Thais now also assume that all white people are like those expats. Racism is getting worse on both sides due to this kind of attitude based on nothing but judgmental clichés.

Well

She is on Facebook dating a foreigner and accepting 30 million baht gifts, I would say not too far from a bar girl

Not exactly a rocket science to assume she is not far from a hooker.

Well

She is on Facebook dating a foreigner and accepting 30 million baht gifts, I would say not too far from a bar girl

And with your nickname that makes you a ....?

Who knows what the scammer really looks like...whether the scammer is a man or a woman...what country the scam originated in...and how many times they have gotten away with this crime...

The internet is filled with anonymous scammers...many very sophisticated at hiding their IDs...

• Like 1

...sorry....I am not buying this......

...and transferred to a woman's account in Thailand....???

...."....Theparak ended up making seven transfers, spending a total of THB400,000, to a Kasikorn bank account under the name Karnchana Maklang, a typical Thai woman's name."

...makes no sense.....

Actually it does. I know a woman who chatted with an "American" for nearly 2 years. To cut a long story short - he said he would send a million dollars so that she could buy a house for them to live in after they got married.

He sent copies of receipts and then a Thai lady called her to ask for a huge sum of money for the transfer money to be cleared. The money was to be put in a special account of some weird company in Thailand. At this stage she smelled a rat and backed out.

Another Thai lady (a professor at a uni) was scammed into paying 40, 000 to avoid being "prosecuted as a drug dealer and money laundering.". Long story again , with many top official names being used. Warned not to tell the police and so on.

She was just stupid to deposit the money in a cash machine to a "special account of the Money Laundering Office" so they could check if the money was stolen.

A face book boyfriend is a fantasy boyfriend not a real boyfriend no one gives money to a fantasy unless you have a lot of cash to spare like this woman obviously had plenty spare cash, must have worked a lot of overtime to save up her 400k Baht she will know better how to spend the next 400k on a real boyfriend not an imaginary boyfriend, get out and go to the pub and you might meet a live poor American to give your money to.

Edited by metisdead
Font reset to default forum font.

Thais scamming Thais, but the Falang gets the blame because a Thai would never do this. Couldn't pin it on a Burmese I guess.

It is possible that the scammer is a husband and wife team (Thai wife, foreign husband), but since the money was sent to a Thai lady's bank account there is a very good paper trail. That was pretty stupid too.Time will tell, but if the account holder is caught, and it shouldn't be difficult, she could be serving jail time...in which case we'll have to decide who was "stupider".smile.png

I'm waiting for "The shoe's on the other foot now" comments!!! whistling.gif

Yeah, me too. Well, here goes. Don't you think it's about time scenario goes the other way around? Lonely men and women everywhere will grasp at a chance for love; naive, gullible, stupid, ignorant, or just hopeful, what a shame.

I wouldn't think so badly about them, I guess most are lonely, desperate and hopeful

Edited by sweatalot

Well

Have another look at the photo mate. She very much fits the description of a 39 year old nurse who is desperate to find a soul mate.

• Like 1

I learned this from my Grandad at a very young age: "There Is No Such Thing As A Free Lunch." If it looks too good to be true, it isn't. Run!

Your granddad would have learned a thing or two if he had visited Thailand. Ladies over here get fat eating free lunches.smile.png

Disclaimer to any kindly souls defending the lass - I'm just poking a bit of fun at her picture. It's humour, don't take it too seriously. I myself am painfully unphotogenic, always get red eye in pictures and look like I'm high or drunk. My avatar is a good example of that.

I didn't know it's an avatar

I do not believe a word of it. No Thai person would give a Farang who they have never met, Soo much money. A fat rich Farang would give a cute Thai girl money who they have not met. If it's true then I hope this post goes out to the Thais to read?

There are gullible people everywhere believe it or not.
And to give an example - a chartered surveyor in the UK. I bet the scammers couldn't believe their luck

http://www.theolivepress.es/spain-news/2012/01/02/victim-of-spanish-lotto-scam-jailed-for-conning-his-friends/

Edited by sean in udon