Failed License Peripheral Color Test

ricklev

I was surprised to learn that I've become somewhat colorblind when I did my (unneeded) physical for my driver's license in Bangkok. However I can easily distinguish red, yellow, green. Just can't find the numbers in the dot patterns.

Anyway, I went to renew my DL at the office at Bang Chak BTS and passed all color tests and reaction test. I just can only make barely make out the colors on the peripheral vision test though and the rather quite unpleasant woman had me come back the next day. Today I failed it again. I can see the dots, just can't make out the colors.

Now maybe that means I am a danger on the road and shouldn't drive. I watched her nurse several elderly motorcycle taxi drivers through the test before me though.

I'm curious. Anyone else have this problem. But mostly I want to know if this test is given at Morchit also. I could just go there in the hope of a more sympathetic examiner or if they use a different system I can pass.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try getting a license in your home country and get an international permit along with it.

No, I live here, as much as someone on a yearly visa can say that, and I never go back. Just renewing my five year license. I don't recall having a problem last time. Must be age related or they didn't do that test in Chiang Mai.

I have the same problem. The last time I had to do the colour test I had some help, my Thai partner stood behind me when the examiner was pointing to the colours and whispered what they were to me. Don't know what I'll do when I need to renew my 5 year licence as they now only allow people being examined into the room where they do the tests. I held a licence in Australia for close on 50 years without a problem, I know which is red and green, just have trouble identifying them on the colour chart. BTW, I failed the first time because I had no help.

Well good luck, I don't believe being able to distinguish red lights from green lights to be all that relevant here! biggrin.png

The OP has already said he has no problem identifying colours, except on the colour chart.

Well good luck, I don't believe being able to distinguish red lights from green lights to be all that relevant here! biggrin.png

The OP has already said he has no problem identifying colours, except on the colour chart.

passifier.gif

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well good luck, I don't believe being able to distinguish red lights from green lights to be all that relevant here! alt=biggrin.png>

How does the OP know he can identify them if he can't when being tested?

Jacko - just to let you know I got the gag

I now have my 5 year licence here in Thailand. When I first sought the licence I also failed the color test (partially color blind) We became friends with DL girls and they said don't go to clinic or hospital (as they must complete the color test) and gave us an address of a doctor, who for 50 baht checked me and filled out a standard report that was acceptable to the DL folk. I have no problems with the DL tests so passed with flying colors. Traffic signals etc are no issue

I now have my 5 year licence here in Thailand. When I first sought the licence I also failed the color test (partially color blind) We became friends with DL girls and they said don't go to clinic or hospital (as they must complete the color test) and gave us an address of a doctor, who for 50 baht checked me and filled out a standard report that was acceptable to the DL folk. I have no problems with the DL tests so passed with flying colors. Traffic signals etc are no issue

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying a doctor gave you clearance on your colour blindness, which exempted you from taking the colour test? You also say you were told not to go to clinic or hospital as they must complete the colour test. I've never heaard of it being done anywhere except where you sit for your licence, so I think you need to clarify a few things.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Well good luck, I don't believe being able to distinguish red lights from green lights to be all that relevant here! alt=biggrin.png>

How does the OP know he can identify them if he can't when being tested?

Jacko - just to let you know I got the gag

I suppose if he isn't driving through red lights or stopping on green might be a good indication.

My father was red-green colour-blind and was unable to see the numbers in the dot patterns as well. That prevented from being a pilot during WWII (though he tried to sign up), but it never prevented him from getting a driver's license in Canada... he was driving into his 70s and never had a single accident. He was also able to distinguish red and green objects, though of course he couldn't explain how (perhaps based on the context and tone). But under controlled conditions--i.e., those tests--he couldn't see the difference.

Even if OP could not, it's the dumbest test ever.

Everyone knows top light is red and bottom is green , so even if one could not tell

The difference between black and White , you would still know when you stop or go

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying a doctor gave you clearance on your colour blindness, which exempted you from taking the colour test?

No The DL Department stated that the color test (by outside doctors) is not a requirement, only a health check, which this doctor performed and filed the appropriate report.The girls at DL Department stated you only need pass their color tests, which is only the 3 traffic signal colors

My father was red-green colour-blind and was unable to see the numbers in the dot patterns as well. That prevented from being a pilot during WWII (though he tried to sign up), but it never prevented him from getting a driver's license in Canada... he was driving into his 70s and never had a single accident. He was also able to distinguish red and green objects, though of course he couldn't explain how (perhaps based on the context and tone). But under controlled conditions--i.e., those tests--he couldn't see the difference.

I've been colour blind since birth and have held a drivers licence for nearly 50 years without any problems. A colour blindness test isn't necessary in Australia, or many other countries, but an eyesight test is, which I pass easily.

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying a doctor gave you clearance on your colour blindness, which exempted you from taking the colour test?

No The DL Department stated that the color test (by outside doctors) is not a requirement, only a health check, which this doctor performed and filed the appropriate report.The girls at DL Department stated you only need pass their color tests, which is only the 3 traffic signal colors

A doctor only gives you a health clearance, nothing to do with colour blindness. Half the time it's purely a formality, you pay your 100 baht and they give you a clearance. Then you have to pass the colour test at the Motor Transport Dept, which involves the examiner pointing at the colour (red, green, yellow) all mixxed together on a big wall chart. They just dont show you three colours on a page and ask you to identify them.

Last time I renewed my 5 year license in Phuket I had no form of test - just lined up, took the photo and received the new license. The previous time I too had some difficulty - in my case with the perspective test, so I was worried that my eyesight might have further deteriorated, but fortunately, no test - maybe over a certain age they don't bother?!

Last time I renewed my 5 year license in Phuket I had no form of test - just lined up, took the photo and received the new license. The previous time I too had some difficulty - in my case with the perspective test, so I was worried that my eyesight might have further deteriorated, but fortunately, no test - maybe over a certain age they don't bother?!

Never heard of any age exemption, just think you were lucky.

I also have the same vision problem.

Most people do not understand ,..This is not true colour blindness! Only colour deficiency,.. That is ,...the colours you see are not of the same brightness that normal sighted people see. That is why you fail the test! Not everyone with this problem has the same degree of colour deficiency . You can google for more information?

I have been driving for over 40 years in Australia without any problems.

In my opinion it is safe to drive as long as you are not totally colour blind and can separate red fron green.

You just need to find some place that doesn't use the peripheral test.

I had trouble with the peripheral test, also. I have no color blindness, I just couldn't see anything. I took off my glasses and moved my head back a few inches, then looked sideways at the colors when they lit up. I passed.

The first time I put my head on that thing the lady got really angry and said I was cheating by looking sideways at the colours... but I just passed. The next time I learnt and when she told me to put my nose on the bridge I did then quickly moved it back a little to give me a better chance to see the colours. The might help , but to be honest who approaches traffic lights from the side??? Smile at the lady next time and make some small talk,,, like .. do you do this all day? How are you? It can make a difference in the chances she gives you...

I also have the same vision problem.

Most people do not understand ,..This is not true colour blindness! Only colour deficiency,.. That is ,...the colours you see are not of the same brightness that normal sighted people see. That is why you fail the test! Not everyone with this problem has the same degree of colour deficiency . You can google for more information?

I have been driving for over 40 years in Australia without any problems.

In my opinion it is safe to drive as long as you are not totally colour blind and can separate red fron green.

You just need to find some place that doesn't use the peripheral test.

It's the colour chart test where the examiner points to a small coloured circle surrounded by other coloured circles and asks you to identify the colour. I don't remember doing the peripheral test, I do remember a perception test where you had to line up the small sticks?

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying a doctor gave you clearance on your colour blindness, which exempted you from taking the colour test? You also say you were told not to go to clinic or hospital as they must complete the colour test. I've never heaard of it being done anywhere except where you sit for your licence, so I think you need to clarify a few things.

I have both forms of colour blindness and have held a gold licence in Oz for close to 40 years. For my Thai car and bike licence I went to San Paolo Hospital in Hua Hin and "passed" the colour blind test and they gave me a medical certificate. At Cha Am I only had to do the colour identification test i.e. the big chart with many coloured dots. I know in Pranburi this test is done with "traffic lights" so the testing process does vary. Very friendly DL people in Cha Am but they do have trouble reading numbers as they got my Thai address provided by Immigration wrong.

I have exactly the same problem as you do. Failed the Medical Test at the hospital, but when I pointed out to the nurse I could see Red, Yellow, and Green, and my wife's talking, she passed me. Maybe some small money under the table to, of which I am not sure.

But what was most interesting is my actual Driver Test in Pattaya. They use a Color Dot Chart but only pointed out the Red, Yellow, and Green Dots, for me to read, as this is all you need to read for a Traffic Light. No problems their, so I passed and now have a 5 Year Drivers License for Thailand.

Try someplace else. I don't think this woman knows what she is doing,

But what was most interesting is my actual Driver Test in Pattaya. They use a Color Dot Chart but only pointed out the Red, Yellow, and Green Dots, for me to read

That's the same in Chiang Mai. Around 15 years ago and earlier they did the flash card type charts with numbers that you had to identify. Then for the last two 5-year to 5-year renewals I did they use only the multi-color chart and point at a color for you to identify.

16111860616_d01d75abc5_n.jpg

Actually, I'm a bit confused about the term 'peripheral colour blindness'. Somewhat specialized I would have thought. Anyway I have held D/Ls in UK, Cyprus, Saudi Arabia and Egypt and have never been asked to take a colour blindness test. What's the take here?

Archived