Failed License Peripheral Color Test

ricklev

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I also have the same vision problem.
Most people do not understand ,..This is not true colour blindness! Only colour deficiency,.. That is ,...the colours you see are not of the same brightness that normal sighted people see. That is why you fail the test! Not everyone with this problem has the same degree of colour deficiency . You can google for more information?
I have been driving for over 40 years in Australia without any problems.
In my opinion it is safe to drive as long as you are not totally colour blind and can separate red fron green.
You just need to find some place that doesn't use the peripheral test.

There is also another newer test out their to check for Color Blindness, which I think is cool.

It is a Color Dotted Chart, with a hidden number in the middle, but with a difference. The number can only be seen by Color Blind People. My wife and several friends have tried it, but only I can see it. So it works.

It actually amazed me how they could not see this number, so now the shoe is on the other foot and I begin to understand why they don't believe I can see there hidden numbers. It is cool as it gives me a feeling of power for a change, and the first and only time I had to do this type of test.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm confused by your post, in my test there were no numbers, just a random dot pattern - maybe look for another test center, maybe you can distinguish colour tones easier.

I also saw assistance through every stage of the test - when reversing some friend was observing and touching his nose when a guy should brake, the distance test people were asked to come a check from the side view by the staff - as suggested, use an assistant.

Maybe just keep on going back every day and in the end they may 'song sarn' you - it worked for a mate and his theory test, they just passed him after a week of daily attendance and failure.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I now have my 5 year licence here in Thailand. When I first sought the licence I also failed the color test (partially color blind) We became friends with DL girls and they said don't go to clinic or hospital (as they must complete the color test) and gave us an address of a doctor, who for 50 baht checked me and filled out a standard report that was acceptable to the DL folk. I have no problems with the DL tests so passed with flying colors. Traffic signals etc are no issue

I'm not sure I understand your post. Are you saying a doctor gave you clearance on your colour blindness, which exempted you from taking the colour test?

No The DL Department stated that the color test (by outside doctors) is not a requirement, only a health check, which this doctor performed and filed the appropriate report.The girls at DL Department stated you only need pass their color tests, which is only the 3 traffic signal colors

A doctor only gives you a health clearance, nothing to do with colour blindness. Half the time it's purely a formality, you pay your 100 baht and they give you a clearance. Then you have to pass the colour test at the Motor Transport Dept, which involves the examiner pointing at the colour (red, green, yellow) all mixxed together on a big wall chart. They just dont show you three colours on a page and ask you to identify them.

Thats what I said...... Difference was that they actually has a traffic signal, not a wall chart and flashed the three colors in different positions on the signal

In Roi Et they also use a traffic signal to define red, yellow, green.

They use the same signal to also take the speed reaction test.

Waiting my turn and watching, I couldn't believe how many failed, especially young women who had to do it 3 or 4 times to pass.

Sitting in a chair, with a brake pedal on the floor by your foot, you watch the green light. As soon as it changes to red....brake.....the speed at which you react is noted on a board with a series of lights. The more lights, the slower the reaction, unless they go above a line, in which case you fail.

I noted the light changes when the chap conducting the test pressed a button held in his hand.

On my turn, I watched the chaps hand, not the lights. I saw his finger twitch and I hit the brake....boom, and only 2 lights registered on the board.

The examiner was amazed as was the watching crowd and I got a hand clap.

The examiner invited me to repeat the test and once again I registered only 2 lights.

He was gobsmacked and I as I rose from my chair I took a bow, which delighted the on looking crowd who cheered and clapped.

For the peripheral test, I shouted out the colours as I saw them appear.

After however enquiring if I passed, I received a nod.

It turned out the staff didn't understand a word of English, so I could have been shouting anything. It seems it was the fact I called out when I saw a light that got me through that test.

Taking an eyesight test in the UK, the peripheral vision is tested by lights appearing from the left and right hand side, but they aren't coloured, just a white light.

Perhaps Thailand just use coloured lights for this test, but the colours may be insignificant, just seeing a light may be sufficient.

Well good luck, I don't believe being able to distinguish red lights from green lights to be all that relevant here! biggrin.png

The OP has already said he has no problem identifying colours, except on the colour chart.

Even if OP could not, it's the dumbest test ever.

Everyone knows top light is red and bottom is green , so even if one could not tell

The difference between black and White , you would still know when you stop or go

My father, uncles, and male cousins of aunties are all badly colour blind.

they go by the red is at the top thingy too, but when my family lived in Alberta in the 70's the lights were horizontal and us kids had to tell them green was on the right.

It was funny tho when they asked us to get paint for some farm equipment.......they painted the tractors pink!!

Most people do not understand ,..This is not true colour blindness! Only colour deficiency,.. That is ,...the colours you see are not of the same brightness that normal sighted people see. That is why you fail the test! Not everyone with this problem has the same degree of colour deficiency . You can google for more information?

In my opinion it is safe to drive as long as you are not totally colour blind and can separate red fron green.

It's the colour chart test where the examiner points to a small coloured circle surrounded by other coloured circles and asks you to identify the colour. I don't remember doing the peripheral test, I do remember a perception test where you had to line up the small sticks?

The sticks was a test for depth perception, not peripheral vision.

Well good luck, I don't believe being able to distinguish red lights from green lights to be all that relevant here! biggrin.png

The OP has already said he has no problem identifying colours, except on the colour chart.

Everyone knows top light is red and bottom is green , so even if one could not tell

The difference between black and White , you would still know when you stop or go

Many traffic lights are mounted horizontally over the road these days.

I am also very color blind and can not distinguish between those dots, but I can tell red lights from green traffic lights. When I took the test, I was in a line of about twenty people. Could not tell a single color, but I listened to the responses of the others. There is a different "shade" difference that you can see even if you can't see the actual color so I tried the best I could based on that. Not sure if I was passed with wrong answers but I got through okay. The red shade is the darkest, lightest is yellow, and the middle is green for me. edit: The test they gave me was various dots on a chart on the wall that they pointed to. It was a Ishihara-like chart, but no numbers to try to see. No way I can pass the Ishihara test posted earlier!

They have color tests for a reason don't they? If OP fails the test this obviously means he has some vision problems and is a menance on the road. Yet you somehow think he deserves to get a license. Not just on traffic lights someone that has problems distinguishing colors might cause an accident. Maybe hit a pedestrian because he couldn't see him/her from their clothing.

it's this double standards i see from TV posters again and again. Chastizes thai people for their bad driving habits and how they try to cheat or find ways to get a license even if they have vision problems and probably flame a thai person if he asked something like this.

Finds ways to give advice and to encourage farang driver with vision problems on how to extend his license when it would be better if he totally stopped driving.

They have color tests for a reason don't they? If OP fails the test this obviously means he has some vision problems and is a menance on the road. Yet you somehow think he deserves to get a license. Not just on traffic lights someone that has problems distinguishing colors might cause an accident. Maybe hit a pedestrian because he couldn't see him/her from their clothing.

it's this double standards i see from TV posters again and again. Chastizes thai people for their bad driving habits and how they try to cheat or find ways to get a license even if they have vision problems and probably flame a thai person if he asked something like this.

Finds ways to give advice and to encourage farang driver with vision problems on how to extend his license when it would be better if he totally stopped driving.

You are so out of touch it beggars belief. I am colour blind and have held a licence for nearly 50 years, with one accident that was caused by a drunk teenager. In fact very few countries require a colour test, normally it's an eyesight test, which makes a lot more sense. Being colour blind doesn't mean you can't see you dope.

I have exactly the same problem as you do. Failed the Medical Test at the hospital, but when I pointed out to the nurse I could see Red, Yellow, and Green, and my wife's talking, she passed me. Maybe some small money under the table to, of which I am not sure.

But what was most interesting is my actual Driver Test in Pattaya. They use a Color Dot Chart but only pointed out the Red, Yellow, and Green Dots, for me to read, as this is all you need to read for a Traffic Light. No problems their, so I passed and now have a 5 Year Drivers License for Thailand.

Try someplace else. I don't think this woman knows what she is doing,

You aren't colour blind if you can read that chart.

You are so out of touch it beggars belief. I am colour blind and have held a licence for nearly 50 years, with one accident that was caused by a drunk teenager. In fact very few countries require a colour test, normally it's an eyesight test, which makes a lot more sense. Being colour blind doesn't mean you can't see you dope.

Was the drunk teenager wearing a red shirt, green shirt or yellow shirt?

Was the drunk teenager wearing a red shirt, green shirt or yellow shirt?

He was wearing a very unhappy face when he was arrested and charged with DUI and dangerous driving. Plus his car and mine were write offs so his insurance wouldn't touch him. He would have paid for his mistake dearly.

Many traffic lights are mounted horizontally over the road these days.

Name those intersections TROLL?blink.png

I agree if you cannot make out whether its red or green just wait until you see the tourist thinking its safe to cross as he can see the green man flashing and then you know its okay to put your foot on the accelerator.

I was diagnosed as 'colour blind' when I was at school in the late 60's. I have absolutely zero problems day to day with colours except when that Ishihara book with the numbers inside the circles crops up at medicals and such like.

When I went for my first five year licence in Thailand, the lady brought this book out. Fortunately for me she didn't speak a word of English so my wife translated. I told her to tell the woman what she saw and not what I said. Worked a treat

On my last renewal they only had one big Ishihara dot type wall chart and all they asked me for was to recognise the three traffic light colours.

I have no problem with colors but failed this test many times. I had my eyes checked at Rutin Eye Hospital and they found no problems and issued a statement to that effect in Thai. That got me my Renewal for 5 years. The test sems to be lacking validity.

They have color tests for a reason don't they? If OP fails the test this obviously means he has some vision problems and is a menance on the road. Yet you somehow think he deserves to get a license. Not just on traffic lights someone that has problems distinguishing colors might cause an accident.

They have the test here because Thailand is a backwards country in many regards, and like yourself, the people in charge here don't understand what being colorblind entails.

In the EU the only country that doesn't give drivers licenses to color blind people is Romania. Most modern countries like US, UK, Germany, Holland, Canada, etc all consider a color deficiency to be minor and inconsequential to safe driving.

Maybe hit a pedestrian because he couldn't see him/her from their clothing.

That's not how color blindness works...

And anyway color blind people are better at distinguishing camouflaged objects so that is less likely to happen than with a normal visioned person

• 5 months later...

After failing the peripheral color test at the Bang Chak office I decided to wait until I was in Chiang Mai to renew my license. In Chiang Mai they have you pick out red, yellow and green dots from a circular pattern of many colored dots. I had no difficulty with that and renewed my 5 year license.

I suspect that if I had gone to the Morchit office the examiner would have been likely to pass me........

So am I and a bit of useless information, the condition is genetic and it affects 1 in 3 western males, passed down from their mothers side, and I remember the reading somewhere that the mutation occurred among the "hunters" in tribes in early man to enable to see colour changes easier in the "jungle" & "forests" when looking for game to hunt and as you have said its not colour blindness, and in fact apparently in some of the worlds military people with red/green deficiency are selected as "spotters" cos they can see camouflaged things easier than "normal" sighted people.

There is a colour test which was doing the rounds on facebook not so long ago, and a "normal sighted" person scores 12-16 points on the test, while most red/green deficient people can get 25/25 and the conclusion is these people have better colour vision than 60% of the words population...

biggrin.png

The peripheral color test is more difficult at the Bang Chak office than it is at the Morchit office, in my opinion. I have failed at both places. But I did notice the equipment is really old at Bang Chak and the bulbs for green color are more faded and look like yellow. The Morchit office had better equipment and was easier to see.

The ladies at Bang Chak were out to get me, it was obvious. At Morchit, the lady gave me a big smile and let me try try again. Got my license. :)

I now know of three other people who contacted me who had similar "odd" experiences with the peripheral color blindness examiner at Bang Chak and then passed the exam at Morchit. Oh well, people are strange, but we are all doing the best we can.

The peripheral color test to me is a joke? You look straight ahead and can tell the colors no problem but they want you to see a small flash way out of your normal line of sight and recognize the color? Then I thought about it and it does make sense here, how else would you be able to tell when the cross traffic light is about to turn to red giving the go ahead to try to run down the target in front of you with out taking your eyes off the target. You need to concentrate on the moving target in the zebra zone. Or to be the first one to win the the race to the traffic jam on the other side of the intersection.

• 2 years later...

I actually failed the peripheral vision test at Morchit 5 years ago and 10 years ago but the lady conducting the test must have felt sorry for me and let me pass. I am colour blind (red/green) but my optician says my peripheral vision is normal.

Anyone know if any of the more remote DLT offices in Bangkok DON'T do the peripheral vision test? I seem to recall a few years ago a member said they didn't do it at the Nong Chok office.

Archived