Failed License Peripheral Color Test

ricklev

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I always fail the peripheral vision test, the colors appear to dull. I'm also interested in going to an agency in Bangkok to get my drivers license renewed if its an option. 

I would love a recommendation for an Agency outside the DMV if anyone has one.

-O

• 2 months later...

They don't do the peripheral vision test upcountry. For my last car licence renewal I went to Chiang Mai and there was only the regular colour-blindness test. I just had to do the theory test because my licence had expired more than 6 months ago. Anyway, no problem. But when I went this year to renew the car licence, they said I couldn't do it there - citing new regulations - as my residence was in Bangkok.

This month I tried to renew in Hat Yai. The official I talked to asked for my work permit. To cut through the bullshit (I have PR and am now retired) I showed him my pink ID card. Big mistake! From that moment he was convinced my ID was all wrong, that I had mistakenly got the ID card meant for migrant labourers and that the Thai ID number on my licence should be changed back to my passport number. I gave up. No point in wasting time with intransigent officialdom. But it occurred to me that I may have shown my pink card at Chiang Mai the second time too. It's confusing because on the back it says something like "Must not go outside the area of residence (without special permission), and it was indeed introduced initially for migrant labourers.

Yesterday I went back to the DLT at Mo Chit hoping to find a sympathetic official administrating the peripheral vision test, as had happened twice before. I got through the other tests (the colour-blindness test is now like a traffic light) but as expected failed the PV test, as did the Thai guy behind me. We were both told to sit at the side and wait. Then I heard that the test colour sequence was always "Red, red, green" for everyone. The guy beside me also twigged, got back in line, "Red, red, green, PASS!" I thought, "Sweet! This is how they let everyone pass without losing face. Thai-style." I got back in line, "Red, red, green..." but then she went on and on with the lights and I couldn't get them right. So, FAIL!"

Kind of frustrating. I have passed 3 different driving tests in different developed countries but here I can't renew because of a useless peripheral vision test (my optician says my peripheral vision is normal, so the problem must be my red/green colour-blindness). The test is not administered outside Bangkok, where drivers haven't a clue, yet they say I can'y renew upcountry because I live in Bangkok.

Oh, well, last option is to go upcountry again and submit only my tabien baan with the application as proof of address and keep the pink card in my wallet. Hopefully, this was indeed the reason they wouldn't renew upcountry the last two times.

Any Bangkok residents renewed upcountry recently?

Archived