BANGKOK 19 February 2019 11:34
JLT

Promenada - The Beginning of The End?

I visited SF Cinema at the Promenada Mall today. As usual the place was eerily quiet (on both sides) but I noticed that Uni Qlo have shut up shop and the roller-skating rink has also gone along with some of the smaller shops.

Speaking to one of the staff at SF Cinema she said that they are averaging less than 100 customers a day and that her "bosses" were constantly checking the ticket sales.

I know there are a number of different incentives to visit Promenada but without a regular, daily flow of customers visiting the stores and using the various (far too numerous?) restaurants it's difficult to see where this mall is going and how long it can survive.

It makes me wonder who was repsonsible for pulling the business plan together and how they managed to get it so wrong.

• Like 1

It was the beginning of the end the day it opened......didnt it open when only two businesses were ready?

I went for the first time in the run up to xmas. I was looking for shoes. Findig or Bata sorted but they are not there just some cheap charity affair. No shoe shops.

Ok i need to destress where is the coffee shop must be at least 4; haha i didnt find one!

What a depressing place it was. I was one of 50people and felt like everyone was staring at you.

I will never go back its the biggest waste of many peoples money i think i have seen in chiang mai.

Sad for the lessees inparticular.

• Like 2

Well, they had one fewer customers this week. I didn't take the free secret shuttle there to go to immigration, but caught a ride with my GF. It is somewhat of a PIA to get there from the west side/Nimman area....and even for those on the East side; it is easier to get to AP Plaza, Maya, or KSK.

If UniQlo have really pulled down the shutters that's a serious blow indeed. They were pretty much the anchor along with Rimping, although neither could really be described as such in the normal scheme of things. To be honest I can't see the attraction of UniQlo - nice colours and an attractive store, but with prices that even on promotion look uncompetitive with Europe, let alone local vendors I don't see where they expect the volume to come from.

• Like 2

that electronics/appliance store upstairs to the rear didn't seem to be very competitive with Siam Electronics on the items I priced.

Agreed UniQlo is the big shop on that side but I dont see Prom closing anytime soon.

Also Uni was a pretty good store but even at Airport mall they never seem that busy

Then again it is a large store so would need a lot of folks to make one look busy

Maybe Prom should just be a giant indoor restaurant mall ;)

BTW: Has anyone tried the nightly shows in the center section?

Was curious if the music was any good & been meaning to check it out.

In Chiang Mai, I would say that Promenada is probably in the right place but built too soon if you are a believer in "urban sprawl."

That hits the nail on the head. It is far too early to start predicting its demise, this type of project is (or at least should be rolleyes.gif ) built looking at the long term return over 20-30 years. They may yet have the last laughwink.png

• Like 2

It was the beginning of the end the day it opened......didnt it open when only two businesses were ready?

I went for the first time in the run up to xmas. I was looking for shoes. Findig or Bata sorted but they are not there just some cheap charity affair. No shoe shops.

Ok i need to destress where is the coffee shop must be at least 4; haha i didnt find one!

What a depressing place it was. I was one of 50people and felt like everyone was staring at you.

I will never go back its the biggest waste of many peoples money i think i have seen in chiang mai.

Sad for the lessees inparticular.

Have you ever been there?

• Like 1

I don't think Promenada is going anywhere. I don't know about Uniqlo but it doesn't surprise me as the clothes were hideous and Thais didn't like them. I think they were aiming at the Chinese market to sell the clothes??? But I have only ever seen a few Chinese tourists there.

eyecatcher, there are a couple of shoe shops in the one building where the cinema is. I think the shoes on offer are all imported, but I'm not sure.

mania, the music was on Saturday and Sunday nights and they recently added Friday night too. Yes, some of the artists were excellent. Having said that, the artists performing during the Christmas holidays were not as good. I hope the others come back... It's a nice evening out with friends in a relaxed atmosphere. They have cocktails and beer on sale and priced reasonably along with the usual Thai snack foods.

I don't understand how the cinema survives but I love going as it feels like a private screening every time.

We like going there and shopping at Rimping and Tsuruha (they have good promotions), dining at the Dukes or Ragu, having coffee, and going to the cinema or listening to music outside. We also like going to Toys R Us and looking. If we see something we like, then we make note of it and buy it for whole lot less on the Internet or from contacts in Bangkok.

We've tried some of the Japanese-ish restaurants but didn't think any of them were much good so we stick with the ones we like.

• Like 2

Promenada simply seems to be in the wrong place.

As has been previously mentioned, turn it over to immigration to deal with the hordes then they will have too much space! (-:

• Like 1

Promenade is in talks over major changeover of hands in the coming months

The owners seem to have it in their heads and I believe the new concept will work

They are merging the concepts from Singapore and HK into a kiddie mall

Floor 1 - all sorts of kiddie clothes , school stuff etc etc

Floor 2 - schools of all kinds ballet, speech, sports, children gym etc etc

Floor 3 - intermixed with banks and the usual restaurant suspects

If they get the price right ...the boom will happen in Promenada as mothers from al over Chiangmai bring their kids there for lessons, stop over at Rimping , do their banking and then TomTom for a gossip and tea with their mums group all while waiting for kiddo to be the next champion

Enjoy the parking and less crowded cinema while it last :)

Edited by LawrenceChee
  • Like 2