BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
JLT

Promenada - The Beginning of The End?

You're not meant to know who's doing it, are you? It's not, ahem, legal. But it's a way to make money, you gotta pay to have your laundering done. Just walk outside and look around and you'll see it: Thais trying to make a buck! Don't blame them, actually.

And no, ain't been here too long, but find the place fascinating. Learning about the place, trying to understand it.

Money laundering .......

You have 1B in drugs money.

Which would be in cash, as they are not yet “in the system” (i.e. not yet laundered).

Borrow 1B from bank using land as security.

Buy land for 1B, create legit construction company, build for .5B but charge 1B.

Yeah, no-one will find it suspicious when your construction company wants to deposit a billion in cash because they have an invoice…

Btw: With the actual company here being Polish and contracting in Thailand, would they have smuggled the 3 billions in cash from Poland to Thailand?

You now have a legit 0.5B profits in a legit construction company.

Bank repossessed failed land and building.

Your 1B drugs, is now 0.5B construction profits.

Bank has their money back.

Everyone happy.

At least the Anti-Money Laundering Office will be happy, as they have an easy case smile.png

and then we actually had someone write 350 words to rehash the worthless posts.

You think that is bad how about some one taking the time to count the words?thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

You think that is bad how about some one taking the time to count the words?thumbsup.gif

usually a newbie trying to run up their post count by commenting on any and all topics..... must be like a home stay in , never straying from their new toy

To those who say this a long term project and numbers will pick up the future, I would ask what are the retailers (especially the small ones) meant to do in the meantime? Run at a loss so as to support the developer? If I was going to rent a retail unit in a mall I would need decent footfall now, not promised to come about in 5 or 10 years.

• Like 1

It's been fairly busy the last few times I've been. Getting busier anyway. It's not going anywhere. lol...zzzzzz

Timing is everything...along with location...in a retail type business...

Customer numbers are down in most of Thailand...

Could be years...if ever...they get back to 2012-2013 tourist numbers...

Tourist baht and ex-pat baht filter down thru Thai economy...

Volume of baht transactions are down significantly from previous years...

All true

But was the Promenada built for tourists in the location it is in I don't think they figure on a large tourist trade. I think they have their eye on the future. As the area grows it will be the main center for shopping. Defiantly a down the line project.

Have you noticed the construction going on in San Kamphaeng, or all the gated communities in the area? Lots of well-heeled Thais in that part of town, along with lots on farang, including myself... I know, I see them every day as I am in Promenada at least once and often twice a day... The 69 baht breakfast at Rimping is hard to pass up, plus I can drive there faster than I could make it myself...

• Like 2

All true

But was the Promenada built for tourists in the location it is in I don't think they figure on a large tourist trade. I think they have their eye on the future. As the area grows it will be the main center for shopping. Defiantly a down the line project.

Have you noticed the construction going on in San Kamphaeng, or all the gated communities in the area? Lots of well-heeled Thais in that part of town, along with lots on farang, including myself... I know, I see them every day as I am in Promenada at least once and often twice a day... The 69 baht breakfast at Rimping is hard to pass up, plus I can drive there faster than I could make it myself...

Rimping (Le Bisto) are doing a 3 course special for 120 baht (from 11-4 pm). I tried it yesterday and it was okay, choice of 4 starters, 8 main courses, and 3 desserts....

• Like 1

What Chiang Mai needs is another Mall, build it and

they will come facepalm.gif

regards Worgeordie

What Chiang Mai needs is another Mall, build it and

they will come facepalm.gif

regards Worgeordie

Words fail me...

All true

How can people, who wear shoes less than Mexicans, be considered well heeled?

• Like 1

All true

How can people, who wear shoes less than Mexicans, be considered well heeled?

Rather racist comment. Obviously you haven't spent much time in Bangkok.

• Like 1