Promenada - The Beginning of The End?

JLT

Burmese is a nationality, White is a color/colour. Would you care to answer my question based on your post.

Where do non-white people obtain their Cert. Of Residency in Chiang Mai?

I believe that all people of all nationalities and colours get their CoR at the immigration office across the road from Promenada at the moment. This may change in the near future for everyone not from a neighbouring country.

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The moderators should pluck out all the posts on laundering money and put them in a new thread for those interested in the topic. There's no place for them here and they make a groundless insinuation about the mall in question. They are pretty funny, though.

Defiantly move them, as you say they are a Joke.

Is Immigration moving to the Promenada Mall or is this just another mall story. I am tired of reading 16 pages of threads that seem to hint about this important subject. Important to me anyways. Going by past experience it would not surprise me to see Immigration hang the "CLOSED" sign on the door at the end of the last day. If anyone can flesh out this question it would be much appreciated. Like the so called phantom bus service here in CM this would be a well kept secret. Can someone elaborate on this or is this April 1st all over again. If this is true the exact location would help as well inside the mall or across from the mall.

Thanks

Is Immigration moving to the Promenada Mall or is this just another mall story. I am tired of reading 16 pages of threads that seem to hint about this important subject. Important to me anyways. Going by past experience it would not surprise me to see Immigration hang the "CLOSED" sign on the door at the end of the last day. If anyone can flesh out this question it would be much appreciated. Like the so called phantom bus service here in CM this would be a well kept secret. Can someone elaborate on this or is this April 1st all over again. If this is true the exact location would help as well inside the mall or across from the mall.

Thanks

New thread on the topic here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/825698-immigration-moving/

It appears as if it hasn't been "officially" announced yet but it doesn't sound like a hoax.

Thanks

Yes it is definatley moving to Promenada, read the thread about it.

Thanks

ThaiPauly, you've been here long enough to know not to make a pronouncement that "Immigration is definitely moving to Promenada" At this time it appears that some part of the Immgiration operation that is currently housed out near the airport is moving to a location inside the Promenada mall. Until it actually happens, we can't count on the entire operation moving there lock, stock and barrel.

That should make things a bit more interesting, although it has to be 51% Thai owned to be legal, so maybe there'll be no difference. I know nothing about the company, but I would doubt that they did due diligence before sinking an awful lot of money into something nobody seems to want.

ECC the mother company of Promenada is bankrupt, I read today on a Dutch website.

Which website did you read this? I've googled but cannot find anything.

Thanks.

Just google bankrupt and ECC in Dutch language.

I very rarely talk about shopping malls because I don't visit them very much, but I have made three or four visits to Promenada to eat or to visit Rimping. The other day I saw a news article about people being disaffected with shopping malls in America. I don't know about that, but Chiang Mai (if you are to read ThaiVisa) is enamoured by shopping malls, and so are local people.

In Chiang Mai, I would say that Promenada is probably in the right place but built too soon if you are a believer in "urban sprawl." Its design is probably too innovative for a mall, and you can become disoriented by the two buildings and where things are. If you look at Central Festival in comparison, Central Festival is a money machine. Maya is a smaller "speciality mall," with bars on the roof. With the Grandview and new Eastern hotels nearby and the Huey Kaew Super Highway and Nimmenhammen access, it attracts tourists and has some "flair."

Kad Suan Kaew, the "ugly sister," struggles on. It was poorly designed to start off with, but it seems to have a relatively strong core. Of course one should not expect to find international brand stores there. But so what? Too bad the management are such "sticky sh*ts," to translate the vernacular, about taking care of the place.

But the really hurtful effect of these malls is what they have done to ruin local businesses. Yes, malls are convenient, et cetera, et cetera, but it is sad to see smaller shops get squeezed out by malls and the "big box" stores. They obliterate a sense of place --- what is your neighborhood and what is Chiang Mai.

Perhaps it is sentimental silliness to think so, but I think it is sad.

A lot of shop owners jumped their lease and moved to Central Festival that is one of the reasons for few shops and this is from the hoses mouth one of the restarurant owners.

Rent in Central Festival is 1500 / m2 / month. I doubt Promenada ever came close to that .... You'd have to do your sums carefully before jumping ship to Festival.

Thats actually not too bad. I'm sure it depends on the floor and area but I was quoted 2500baht. Prom on the other hand 1000baht m2.

Anyone losing money in a big way in order to launder money would be way too stupid to make money in the first place.

If you only knew. John lost $1.5 million on a deal, the guy on the otherside of the deal gained the 1.5, then he bought a house for $1.3 and gave it to a BVI trust, the sole beneficiary of which is John's son .........

Who is stupid?

Anyone losing money in a big way in order to launder money would be way too stupid to make money in the first place.

If you only knew. John lost $1.5 million on a deal, the guy on the otherside of the deal gained the 1.5, then he bought a house for $1.3 and gave it to a BVI trust, the sole beneficiary of which is John's son .........

Who is stupid?

Who is John ?

regards Worgeordie

Thanks

No this is conjecture its talked to a friend who has a friend kind of answer. Its a rumor. I am looking for something on an official website or someone like Nancy to confirm this someone that is in the know. Surely the Ex-pats club or someone has received some kind of notification. I know things are done in a funny way here but this goes way beyond funny well ridiculous might be a better term.

No this is conjecture its talked to a friend who has a friend kind of answer. Its a rumor. I am looking for something on an official website or someone like Nancy to confirm this someone that is in the know. Surely the Ex-pats club or someone has received some kind of notification. I know things are done in a funny way here but this goes way beyond funny well ridiculous might be a better term.

Odds on immigrations way of notifying the public by sticking a note on the door of the old building the day before they move?

Who is stupid?

Who is John ?

regards Worgeordie

John is on first.

• 1 month later...

Some one mentioned a bowling alley with the idea of it being a well maintained one.

Also how about a class Gymnasium.

Prom have announced that a fitness centre has signed a contract. Not sure if thats a standard gym or what

So they announced in April they had signed this contract but now as of today the beginning of July there isn't the slightest sign that any building work or fitout has even started let alone in progress?ermm.gif

Thanks

Well several weeks later and there is very little building activity going on in the area which is meant to be occupied by the immigration Department. In fact it looks like the building work started and then was abandoned because there were no workmen even on site ?
But what is more hilarious is that just a few meters away from what will be the entrance to the Immigration Department is a straw covered pen full of goats and sheep! I kid you not. Quite delightful and friendly animals but couldn't work out what on earth they were doing in that location.laugh.png
Then I wandered back towards the shopping centre I noticed a small " rural looking " structure advertising the sale of goats milk!giggle.gif

Thanks

But what is more hilarious is that just a few meters away from what will be the entrance to the Immigration Department is a straw covered pen full of goats and sheep! I kid you not. Quite delightful and friendly animals but couldn't work out what on earth they were doing in that location.laugh.png
Then I wandered back towards the shopping centre I noticed a small " rural looking " structure advertising the sale of goats milk!giggle.gif

They've been there for a number of weeks now. They are there to entertain the kids who come with their parents for the weekend evening music/drinking/eating festivities. Parents tend to let their kids run loose there as it's a relatively safe environment, and it's something to occupy them. They also sell goats milk ice cream at a booth.

Haven't noticed the sheep before though.

Archived