BANGKOK 22 February 2019 19:01
JLT

Promenada - The Beginning of The End?

I was back in Duke's this afternoon and this time it was packed around 3:00pm, despite the rain... Go figure... I hope Promenada makes it as I quite like it...

• Like 1

Northernjohn said of Eyecatcher's post..."How in the hell would you come up with a figure of 50 people in a mall that has two buildings and several floors. Do you believe every thing posted on Thai Visa with out thinking?" Without of course saying what number he thought would/might be right.

I usually respect what he says but this comment shows that on this occasion he's operating well outside his sphere of expertise, leading me to think that he's not been to the Promenada recently. I don't think it's too difficult to make an approximate guess at the numbers of customers (I'm sure Eyecatcher wasn't includng the bored-to-death staff) when there are so few.

But to help Northerjohn review his remarks.

I was there yesterday (Thursday 08/01) at 1pm and I'd have thought that 50 customers wasn't a bad guess (yes, across the various floors and on both sides!). How do I know? Well I had a quick look-see. Entering at Rimping, a few customers in the restaurant and fewer in the store itself. Check-outs not busy, no-one waiting. Kasikorn Bank...empty. The small confectioners/bakers opposite...no customers. The small food court had maybe a dozen or so people. The comsetic shops, hair dressing/beauty salons - I saw one guy having a hair cut. The haute couture shops no-one. Boots, empty. The small coffee/confectioners outlets, maybe 2 or 3 customers (for all of them). Wine Connection - 2 customers. The large coffee shop next door - empty. Various other retail outlets - no customers. Other banks - no customers. The large electrical/technology store upstairs amd other retailers - empty, Dukes - 3 customers. Crossing over to the the other side provided an even more depressing story. Uni Qlo and the skating rink - closed. Ragu, Mix KFC, Japanese restaurants - maybe a dozen customers between them. The Sports Store - only staff in sight. SF Cinema, we were one of 4 people watching the !pm matinee, multiplied by 8 screens = 32 people. Other retail outlets - empty. OK, I might have overlooked another 10 people but whatever way you look at it, it's a shocking wate of money, manpower and time. Why would businesses pay staff costs, rental and utility costs (not forgetting the sunk costs) for such an obvious waste of time (even if it is "busy" on Saturday and/or Sunday, which it's not, because we've been there on those days too). Even the ludicrously high-priced, underground car wash (480baht to wash and clean inside and outside) has halved its prices and had no customers.

But here's a wheeze for Northernjohn - I'll happily meet you on any weekday, at a time of your choosing and we can do a quick survey of the numbers of customers wandering around (or you could gracefully accept that Eyecatcher just might have been right!).

No, I don't think anyone "believe(s) everything posted on Thai Visa with out thinking?". But, it does sometimes pay to think before posting. I'm just saying is all...

Edited by JLT
  • Like 2

^^^ Bs , I thought before posting once, didn't pay at all. ^^^

I'm sure there have been times when I've been there - maybe not recently but perhaps a year ago, when there were no more than 50 people tops in the mall; not including sellers and staff. Seems like it got busier for a while and recently dropped off again. But weekend nights are busy outside and some of the restaurants are doing well.

I ate at Duke's at Promenada yesterday afternoon around 5:00pm... I was the only customer...

Having been to Promenada at least 40 times, I can assure you that was a "one off" although 17:00 is sort of between lunch and the dinner hours. It is almost always completely packed (with perhaps 70% Thais) day and evening.

Every time i have been it has been close to full.

Promenada will have the last laugh for sure.

Promenade is in talks over major changeover of hands in the coming months

The owners seem to have it in their heads and I believe the new concept will work

They are merging the concepts from Singapore and HK into a kiddie mall

Floor 1 - all sorts of kiddie clothes , school stuff etc etc

Floor 2 - schools of all kinds ballet, speech, sports, children gym etc etc

Floor 3 - intermixed with banks and the usual restaurant suspects

If they get the price right ...the boom will happen in Promenada as mothers from al over Chiangmai bring their kids there for lessons, stop over at Rimping , do their banking and then TomTom for a gossip and tea with their mums group all while waiting for kiddo to be the next champion

Enjoy the parking and less crowded cinema while it last smile.png

This means my dream of lots and lots of Go go bars in Promenade is not coming true ?

Hahhaha probably yes :) kids kids kids and lots of kids although some girls at those bars seems to be kids too :)

Went there once. No need to return.

That said, someone should build a few more malls.

• Like 1

Northernjohn said of Eyecatcher's post..."How in the hell would you come up with a figure of 50 people in a mall that has two buildings and several floors. Do you believe every thing posted on Thai Visa with out thinking?" Without of course saying what number he thought would/might be right.

I usually respect what he says but this comment shows that on this occasion he's operating well outside his sphere of expertise, leading me to think that he's not been to the Promenada recently. I don't think it's too difficult to make an approximate guess at the numbers of customers (I'm sure Eyecatcher wasn't includng the bored-to-death staff) when there are so few.

But to help Northerjohn review his remarks.

I was there yesterday (Thursday 08/01) at 1pm and I'd have thought that 50 customers wasn't a bad guess (yes, across the various floors and on both sides!). How do I know? Well I had a quick look-see. Entering at Rimping, a few customers in the restaurant and fewer in the store itself. Check-outs not busy, no-one waiting. Kasikorn Bank...empty. The small confectioners/bakers opposite...no customers. The small food court had maybe a dozen or so people. The comsetic shops, hair dressing/beauty salons - I saw one guy having a hair cut. The haute couture shops no-one. Boots, empty. The small coffee/confectioners outlets, maybe 2 or 3 customers (for all of them). Wine Connection - 2 customers. The large coffee shop next door - empty. Various other retail outlets - no customers. Other banks - no customers. The large electrical/technology store upstairs amd other retailers - empty, Dukes - 3 customers. Crossing over to the the other side provided an even more depressing story. Uni Qlo and the skating rink - closed. Ragu, Mix KFC, Japanese restaurants - maybe a dozen customers between them. The Sports Store - only staff in sight. SF Cinema, we were one of 4 people watching the !pm matinee, multiplied by 8 screens = 32 people. Other retail outlets - empty. OK, I might have overlooked another 10 people but whatever way you look at it, it's a shocking wate of money, manpower and time. Why would businesses pay staff costs, rental and utility costs (not forgetting the sunk costs) for such an obvious waste of time (even if it is "busy" on Saturday and/or Sunday, which it's not, because we've been there on those days too). Even the ludicrously high-priced, underground car wash (480baht to wash and clean inside and outside) has halved its prices and had no customers.

But here's a wheeze for Northernjohn - I'll happily meet you on any weekday, at a time of your choosing and we can do a quick survey of the numbers of customers wandering around (or you could gracefully accept that Eyecatcher just might have been right!).

No, I don't think anyone "believe(s) everything posted on Thai Visa with out thinking?". But, it does sometimes pay to think before posting. I'm just saying is all...

Well you certainly covered a lot of area but all the levels and it would be easy to have 50 customers in Rimping and miss them unless you took the time to walk through the whole store. It is sad that there is not more business than there is. But I believe it was built with an eye to the future. I really like the layout because it can contain a lot of people without looking busy. Not a fan of the theater there. Like the Central Festival with seats that leave room for people to get in and out of with out having to climb over people.

Uniqlo have moved to Airport Plaza.

Uniqlo were in Airport Plaza, Festival and Promenada, they dropped Promenada, according to the reports on here.

Promenada should be gravitating towards becoming an entertainment centre. Food, wine, music and activities. Kids stuff too.

It has a future, there's no way it doesn't.

• Like 1

Uniqlo have moved to Airport Plaza.

Been there for months youre right.I find their stock not that enticing and not well priced either, certainly no better than Robinsons

Edited by Sparkles