Promenada - The Beginning of The End?

JLT

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 hours ago, EricTh said:

I go there only for immigration matters in the past. 

I even went there a few days after immigration moved out, but that was in the morning and  it was like a ghost town unlike in the past.

The few times in the afternoon when I had to wait for my immigration visa, it was very quiet too.

But I have never been there at night or during weekends.

I didn't know they have a cinema there... maybe I might drop by for their cinema. Are the movies shown in English or dubbed in Thai?

1) Movies are in English and in Thai and some have subtitles (in English and Thai)

2) I think you've answered your own question.

Regards,

Joe

11 hours ago, NancyL said:

Oooh, an Ikea.  Something like that could turn Prom into a regional attraction.  

8 hours ago, Shoeless Joe said:

Shhh...no four letter swear words please!

Joe

All I know is that when an Ikea opened a few miles away from our specialty greenhouse/nursery business in the U.S., we saw a nice upturn in business as people came from hundreds of miles to visit both the Ikea and our nursery/display garden.  Made a nice little two or three day holiday out of it.  Having an Ikea in the area was good for business and I never set foot in the place.

On 10/23/2018 at 7:59 PM, naboo said:

This Friday an off road show and meet.

Was there at 4 - 5 pm.
Nothing! Searched everywhere around. Even asked a nice security thom boy showing him(?)/her(?) the Facebook announcement https://www.facebook.com/events/481783779001531/ --- "Mai mee khrab .../Mai hoo jaaaaaw ...!"
The entire place: more dead than alive.
In the area between the buildings a rock(?) band beating even the noise level of the last Stones' concert in Berlin's Waldbuehne 4 years ago. No audience at all.

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

All I know is that when an Ikea opened a few miles away from our specialty greenhouse/nursery business in the U.S., we saw a nice upturn in business as people came from hundreds of miles to visit both the Ikea and our nursery/display garden.  Made a nice little two or three day holiday out of it.  Having an Ikea in the area was good for business and I never set foot in the place.

Best idea yet, many many interesting often innovative products (to many people, not all), lots of price range, plenty of parking, would occupy quite a large part of the available rental space in Prom, and Rimping on site, restaurants, and near a Big C, and easy to to get to from the superhighway and return to the superhighway. 

All of this makes me wonder just how much marketing the Prom people are doing to get new tenants / big tenants? 

• 2 months later...

I was shocked and amazed to see that a NEW shop is going to open February in the Promenada according to the posters on the wall.  Mr. DIY is apparently going to take up residence so that will be quite handy for me.  

Xiaomi (or Mi as they prefer to be called) opened a showroom there too a while back but unfortunately none of their assistants speak English and so they expect you to buy a 50,000 THB laser projector with no demonstration of it actually working.  Can they be serious?

4 minutes ago, elektrified said:

Actually, a couple of new businesses have opened up recently. Also the excellent Southern Thai restaurant (Natigaan (sp)) that used to be directly in front of Rimping has re-opened.

Good news, great food, reasonable prices, nice people.

1 hour ago, scorecard said:

Good news, great food, reasonable prices, nice people.

Up on the 2nd Floor, right next-door to Dukes. Their khao niyow durian is superb! It's the only time I eat durian.

In the last 2-3 months, the family has opened up at least 3 more branches. They have branches now in KSK, Tesco Lotus Ruam Chok and at the Promenada (as well as many small locations all around the city).

Paid first visit on Sunday and amazed the place is open, hardly anyone there. Compared to central festival which is pretty busy most days and mobbed on weekends this place was a monolithic ghost town. No big name brands, no red buses or tuk tuks outside, limit food choice (over priced Dukes or KFC). Really can't understand why they built it there.

NATTHAKARN.  I found this 'restaurant' in KSK this morning.  Could be the one, as nothing else resembles, but this is only a Thai fast food place, not really a restaurant with menus.  Choose from a selection of prepared food trays at 30/50 baht per plate.

And if not reading Thai, no figuring out what's on offer.  I was persistent in finding only one word, on numerous signs, in English script: the first word of this para.

13 minutes ago, chingmai331 said:

NATTHAKARN.  I found this 'restaurant' in KSK this morning.  Could be the one, as nothing else resembles, but this is only a Thai fast food place, not really a restaurant with menus.  Choose from a selection of prepared food trays at 30/50 baht per plate.

And if not reading Thai, no figuring out what's on offer.  I was persistent in finding only one word, on numerous signs, in English script: the first word of this para.

No menus. It's a rice and curry shop. The food is all the good stuff that is sold in Nakhon Si Thammarat and other nearby provinces. There are about 10 of them in C.M.

Heres a plug AGAINST the so called Jazz Festival taking place at Promenada this weekend. We went last year and it was an absolute disgrace. Tickets in advance 750 baht each, most of the music wasnt even "Jazz", more like middle of the road instrumental slosh like you get for free in many bars and restaurants ( the one notable exception being the top of the bill band Kamikaze Jazz who were excellent but only played for less than an hour).

Bearing in mind we were PAYING CUSTOMERS we were surprised to have a bag search on entry and were prevented from bringing any of our own food/ drink items inside ( a common practice at all the Jazz festivals I ve ever attended anywhere in the world is that people bring their own picnic type hamper if they wish)

The result of this restriction is that on top of the entry ticket ( almost £20 UK money) you then have only the option of buying food and drink at the exorbitant prices charged by the posse of stalls mostly run by expensive hotels. The only wine available inside last year was a label I recognised from Rimping for 399 baht being sold in there ( not by Rimping) for 1300 baht.

All in all the whole thing was NOT in any way delightful, and was in fact a marketting rip off acompanied by VERY average music. We re not going this year. Wonder why?!

Isn't there a 'farang' women's festival soon at Promenada? Have you seen those farang women doing their flowers in their hair turning in circles looking at their hands dancing? There will be lots of that. It's a celebration of the contribution these women have made to the world so I guess it won't be long.

7 hours ago, EL159 said:

Heres a plug AGAINST the so called Jazz Festival taking place at Promenada this weekend. We went last year and it was an absolute disgrace. Tickets in advance 750 baht each, most of the music wasnt even "Jazz", more like middle of the road instrumental slosh like you get for free in many bars and restaurants ( the one notable exception being the top of the bill band Kamikaze Jazz who were excellent but only played for less than an hour).

Bearing in mind we were PAYING CUSTOMERS we were surprised to have a bag search on entry and were prevented from bringing any of our own food/ drink items inside ( a common practice at all the Jazz festivals I ve ever attended anywhere in the world is that people bring their own picnic type hamper if they wish)

The result of this restriction is that on top of the entry ticket ( almost £20 UK money) you then have only the option of buying food and drink at the exorbitant prices charged by the posse of stalls mostly run by expensive hotels. The only wine available inside last year was a label I recognised from Rimping for 399 baht being sold in there ( not by Rimping) for 1300 baht.

All in all the whole thing was NOT in any way delightful, and was in fact a marketting rip off acompanied by VERY average music. We re not going this year. Wonder why?!

I paid 100 Baht at the gate to get in. Same the year before...????  But I agree with you on the music. We used to call it "MOR" or Easy Listening..... Same with the "Jazz Festival" each year at Nim City (free).

3 hours ago, Loaded said:

Isn't there a 'farang' women's festival soon at Promenada? Have you seen those farang women doing their flowers in their hair turning in circles looking at their hands dancing? There will be lots of that. It's a celebration of the contribution these women have made to the world so I guess it won't be long.

It was this last Saturday. Didn't go so I can't comment.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/21/2019 at 3:55 PM, EL159 said:

Plus the parking, we arrived very early to do some food shopping quickly at Rimping, the entry first around from the big C area was blocked, the next entrance we drove in but quickly stopped by a security man from the jazz people rudely telling 'cannot come in.

My son said 'We want to buy food at Rmping'. Security guy, 'go to another shopping centre'. As he was talking some patrons appeared walking up the front stairs, they were abruptly told 'cannot go inside, can't sit on the stairs, come back later'.

I wonder if the Rimping and other business owners permanently located in the centre are aware of this? 

Archived