Promenada - The Beginning of The End?

JLT

• Replies 502
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They should offer chiang mai immigration free rent there and give them a huge space, then ther would be a never ending flow of potential customers during the day. The Farangs can catch a movie and eat out and have plenty of parking and not stress out so much like they do now at the current crappy immigration location, which has no parking.

We will see how smart the owners are.

But how dare some CheapCharlie take the now secret, free shuttle to Promenada, to take care of Immigration business across the street, after all it's only 200 each way from Tha Phae "Get." I suppose the Poles are a little new to the capitalism game. Ragu gets consistently great reviews; its TV sponsorship doesn't really give them too much credibility. Maybe a Putt-Putt course, or a machine gun range would get people off the fence.

I know it's off topic, but has this entire forum been totally taken over by minutiae obsessed nutters ?

I'll have a few more beers and then wander off to Rimping to buy a box of wine and drive back against the traffic.

It's very convenient, and the absence or traffic enforcement helps a lot.

Can't sing well, but may end up doing a bit of busking in one of the bars at the risk my work permit.

After that, might do what you do with a dusky maiden, although many here clearly don't.

And then it will be get up and go to work.

Any body else find the irony of a 10 million baht Ferrari being written off by a clearly repairable Yaris quite delicious ???

I put the Maya mall in the same league. I went shortly after opening and could not find 1 tv store could not see 1 computer store and the eye glass store I went to was overpriced 3 times over. If you do not get it right the first time it cost a bundle to keep trying 2 or 3 times more and you only know its right when the customers come as they are the ultimate judge. Yes I concur with the assessment about Kad Suan Kaew and I also like the posters comments about it being a big box but its my box of preference. We go there 3 times a week and there is always customers carrying shopping bags. I liked the fact that they put on a show for kids the other day for Children's day. Yes the owners could keep it in a better state of repair but it has everything I need and want. I have noticed some of the satellite stores in the basement are disappearing and remain empty though.

those phone stores in the basement are charging about 30% more than what you can buy them for at the AIS store...and there are many. Otherwise, KSK is fine, and convenient. Good variety of eating venues, including the places that set up out front. No bank had a USD 10 at Maya, last Friday. BKK Bank KSK had a fresh stack of them. BTW, Is the Sinet Promo Girl in high heels a Ladyboy?

Timing is everything...along with location...in a retail type business...

Customer numbers are down in most of Thailand...

Could be years...if ever...they get back to 2012-2013 tourist numbers...

Tourist baht and ex-pat baht filter down thru Thai economy...

Volume of baht transactions are down significantly from previous years...

I think Promenada is interesting but way ahead of its time. A rice farmer who spends all day in the rice fields is not going to buy an expensive suit at Promenada that evening. Also,there are too many of these shopping malls in Chiang Mai. There is not enough money flying around to support them. But I wish it well and hope it turns into a success.

I go to Promenada at least twice each week. I love it. It does not have the artificial racket of the other malls. It has many shops that I like and the Wine Connection is excellent for dinner. Rimping is priceless and their prices are comparable, for the same goods, as anywhere in town.

Timing is everything...along with location...in a retail type business...

Customer numbers are down in most of Thailand...

Could be years...if ever...they get back to 2012-2013 tourist numbers...

Tourist baht and ex-pat baht filter down thru Thai economy...

Volume of baht transactions are down significantly from previous years...

All true

But was the Promenada built for tourists in the location it is in I don't think they figure on a large tourist trade. I think they have their eye on the future. As the area grows it will be the main center for shopping. Defiantly a down the line project.

I just had a thought.

We all have ideas and opinions. But is there some one with some knowledge of the company that owns it. How deep are their pockets? What is their record in this type of operation?

It was mentioned and poo pooed but money laundering is a possibility. Thailand is well known for that. Just what is the owners history?

This is defiantly not my field. But I think possibly one of the posters would have an insight in to it. We all know what it should do. But it would seem that none of us knows what they are willing to do.

I put the Maya mall in the same league. I went shortly after opening and could not find 1 tv store could not see 1 computer store and the eye glass store I went to was overpriced 3 times over. If you do not get it right the first time it cost a bundle to keep trying 2 or 3 times more and you only know its right when the customers come as they are the ultimate judge. Yes I concur with the assessment about Kad Suan Kaew and I also like the posters comments about it being a big box but its my box of preference. We go there 3 times a week and there is always customers carrying shopping bags. I liked the fact that they put on a show for kids the other day for Children's day. Yes the owners could keep it in a better state of repair but it has everything I need and want. I have noticed some of the satellite stores in the basement are disappearing and remain empty though.

Maya will be busier in footfall per sq m than Promenada due to its location. It was built near existing large condos, hotels, uni buildings and the busy Nimmanhamein road. Everytime I go, I find the basement busy and the top floors busy, especially CAMP and the rooftop bars can be well attended at night. It is some of the small shops on the intervening floors that I fear might not surive. I was wondering why I couldn't find a Bangkok Bank in there, but then I remembered that there is one just up the road in the Beer Park.

I agree about KSK. People actually shop there a lot more for everday things, and it is far more 'useful' in that respect than any of the newer malls.

BTW, Maya did a Children's Day show too and it was busy...and noisy.

Someone mentioned this early but seems no one noticed. There are so many new housing projects selling multi-million baht houses to big Thai spenders all around Promenada. There are condos going up also near by. Access to Promenada is from 5 or 6 different directions. This area of Chiang Mai is the new rich part of the city and growing wildly. I think Promenada and its vendors might be taking a loss right now but in the future it will probably be very busy.

I just had a thought.

We all have ideas and opinions. But is there some one with some knowledge of the company that owns it. How deep are their pockets? What is their record in this type of operation?

It was mentioned and poo pooed but money laundering is a possibility. Thailand is well known for that. Just what is the owners history?

This is defiantly not my field. But I think possibly one of the posters would have an insight in to it. We all know what it should do. But it would seem that none of us knows what they are willing to do.

I posted the link to the Polish parent company.

We wandered around both Promenada buildings Monday waiting for the movie to start, for about an hour. (new movie, showing we went for only in thai, with no s/titles). 10 people including us at the 15.40.

The whole place like a ghost town. Uniqlo shuttered as has been mentioned, and the skating area empty again. Half the food places in the food court shut down now too.

But we love to go there, and the w/end music outside is fun but I feel very sorry for folks trying to make a living there.

Needs more activities and marketing but the cash, drive and expertise seems lacking.

I find KSK's food court very limited. But love the fact I can find Kanem Clok at the mall. I think it is the closest thing in CM to my beloved MBK.

but add the food court in Tops, and my favorite, the one way to the back, up a half flight of stairs. I heard the duck khao soi in tops for 50 thb was excellent, but I do 2 entrees and purple rice back to the back. But just judging by the basement one, yeah it's a lot smaller than Airport Plaza, which has its own quirks.

It was mentioned and poo pooed but money laundering is a possibility.

Not really. I don’t know what it cost to build Promenade, but probably hundreds of millions. So you have to spend that before you have your money laundering machine.

Then for the actual operation; the mall only lease out space (AFAIK), i.e. the banks, restaurants, and shops are not part of the operation and you can’t cook their books to hide money obtained from illegal activity.

So you are left with the leasing income, but this is pretty easy to audit, and if the mall sees no business, there will be no-one leasing space there, which means no income to inflate.

Thailand is well known for that. Just what is the owners history?

Thailand has some illegal activity going on, but I think the money laundering associated with this is of a much smaller scale than building giant malls, for example they’ll use nominee account holders or setup dummy import/export companies and cook the books.

I think the rising problems with money laundering is actually that things are moving from the physical to the digital world. I.e. if a physical store claims revenue of ten million, you can sample amount of customers in a week, look at their inventory and check with the suppliers, etc. but say you are running an online gaming platform, outsiders have a much harder time to do a thorough audit of the income.

If you suspect money laundering, my guess would be Top Charoen. Why are there so many eyeglass stores? I have never seen so many eyeglass stores in my life. And new ones keep opening up. It's almost like 7-11 but all they sell is eyewear, can someone explain that as a business model?

If you suspect money laundering, my guess would be Top Charoen. Why are there so many eyeglass stores? I have never seen so many eyeglass stores in my life. And new ones keep opening up. It's almost like 7-11 but all they sell is eyewear, can someone explain that as a business model?

Perhaps the owners don't have a clear vision for their business model. (Bah dum dum, ching! I'm here all week folks....don't forget to tip your bartenders and waitresses.)

We wandered around both Promenada buildings Monday waiting for the movie to start, for about an hour. (new movie, showing we went for only in thai, with no s/titles). 10 people including us at the 15.40.

The whole place like a ghost town. Uniqlo shuttered as has been mentioned, and the skating area empty again. Half the food places in the food court shut down now too.

But we love to go there, and the w/end music outside is fun but I feel very sorry for folks trying to make a living there.

Needs more activities and marketing but the cash, drive and expertise seems lacking.

Yes that is what I was wondering. It seems like that is the case today but has any one looked into the company and checked on the figures they were looking for when they opened and the amount of future growth they were planning for. Were they prepared for the long haul?

I shop at Rimping Promenada at least twice a week. We eat at Le Bistro in the supermarket same time. We find the food there to be consistently fresh, well prepared and tasty; certainly one of the better restos in Chiang Mai, with excellent service. In the last 2 months we have noticed that Bistro has permanently shut down its wi-fi ( annoying) and is advertising absurdly low "special" breakfasts and lunches. The grocery side is replenishing the shelves very slowly and with less choice. Uniqlo has indeed closed its doors. Completely gone. Over half of the local food stalls in the food court have disappeared. I spotted the principle owner of Promenada eating at Bistro, looking distinctly displeased with something.

Promenada is a great concept but at present the population with easy access to it seems to be lacking. That is changing. The developers have a great track record abroad and are in it for the long haul. I don't doubt that they will stick-handle around the bumps and succeed.

Re laundering: Who's gonna audit the place, the IRS? Remember, this here's Thailand, not Kansas. Dang, they probably washed millions just building the place.

Not sure who is doing it. But the government under pressure from other countries is working on it. I see where you are fairly new to Thailand. Money laundering is a big business here in Thailand.

Archived