Lao Wai (term For Foreigners?)

krikrik

Anyone who has travelled in China will be familiar with the sound of the word "Lao Wai" (Literally - old/respected :D outsider) rippling around them in waves as they make their way amongst the insiders.

After spending some time in China, I came here and thought I noticed a similar word being used by locals when I appeared. Dismissed it but still think I am hearing it :o .Just an after-effect of China or is there a similar term used here ?

Anyone who has travelled in China will be familiar with the sound of the word "Lao Wai" (Literally - old/respected :D outsider) rippling around them in waves as they make their way amongst the insiders.

After spending some time in China, I came here and thought I noticed a similar word being used by locals when I appeared. Dismissed it but still think I am hearing it :D .Just an after-effect of China or is there a similar term used here ?

A similar but rather different term here euh, krikrik.

Not so much, elder, respected foreigner, but more of a smelly fruit foreigner...

We blame the french for the origin of the word "farang/Falang". :o

Lao Wai dosnt mean old respected. its just a crude term representing foreigners (westerners), just like how farang is crudely used here in thailand.

Aint rude, but aint exactly what u would call polite either :o

Edited by jetzie

Ok... let me try again ...

Do farangs here notice Thais noticing them very much ? (If you have been to China, you will not need "very much" quantifed.)

If Thai, do you (a) nudge your friend and/or (:o whisper "88888" when you spot a farang ?

If yes to (:D, what word do you use ?

Do farangs here notice Thais noticing them very much ? (If you have been to China, you will not need "very much" quantifed.)

If Thai, do you (a) nudge your friend and/or (:o whisper "88888" when you spot a farang ?

I think the phrase they use is Hai Ewe.

After spending some time in China, I came here and thought I noticed a similar word being used by locals when I appeared. Dismissed it but still think I am hearing it :o .Just an after-effect of China or is there a similar term used here ?

are you sure they said "Lao Wai"

not "ler wa" ?

it is impolite but (very) common word.

it have nothing to do with foreigner.

and farang as a fruit, for thai it is not "The most cr@p & worthless fruit in Thailand"

it is one of the easiest fruit to find, (almost) every thai like it.

Lao Wai dosnt mean old respected. its just a crude term representing foreigners (westerners), just like how farang is crudely used here in thailand.

Aint rude, but aint exactly what u would call polite either :o

Farang is not a derogotary term. If people interpret it like that then they are wrong.

They definitly don´t wanna pet us, but they might go ha ha !

(in Thai 8888 would sound like "petpetpetpet"

wheres the number 5 sounds like Ha,... 5555 = Hahahaha)

are you sure they said "Lao Wai"

not "ler wa" ?

it is impolite but (very) common word.

it have nothing to do with foreigner.

Not sure ... just something that sounded like the Chinese "lao wai". It could be just some common word that I noticed only because of the similarity to the Chinese, which foreigners hear constantly around them on the mainland, sometimes accompnaied by pointing & staring.

So, what does "ler wa" mean :o ? If very common, it may be what I am hearing.

Not sure ... just something that sounded like the Chinese "lao wai"

Sure it wasn't one of these?

* Bpai Laew (Bai lao) - go away, already gone, or fusk off depending on context/tone.

* Mao Mai - drunk yet?

* laew bpai (lao bai) - and then go to...

* laew... wai! - quickly.. make a praying guesture!

* Arai wah - <deleted>

:o