England.

redrus

According to Danny Mills, McLaren didn't go to the dressing room at half-time in the Israel match until five minutes after the players were in there. They were evidently scratching their heads, wondering where he was?

Where was he? Consulting with the team's psychologist about how he should approach the half-time teamtalk.

That says everything I need to know about Steve McClaren.

• Replies 485
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well what the hel_l was that about? the 1st half was the worst 45 mins I've ever seen, we were running around like headless chickens, no shape, no passion and no ideas! The second half started better, we got stuck in to some meaty tackles and looked more like a team pulling in the same direction!

I absolutely 100% concur

watching the england fans slaughter mclaren & co at half-time was priceless.

:D

They started after about 15 minutes into the game

Time to get rid of that moron Mclaren he ain,t got the slightest clue how to manage an International team hardly suprising given he was Swens apprentice :o

Yep. But the question is, who would we replace him with. Actually, our local Lollypop lady could do just as good of a job. :D

Glad I was working.

Oh, thank <deleted> the premierships back at the weekend....! :o

* Although, I will add, how long did I wait for good football at United. A long time. How many other bosses have been sacked well before the time Fergie took to win something, without the chance to turn things round.

I vote not to sack him, stop bleating and get behind the team.

redrus

Edited by redrus

I vote not to sack him, stop bleating and get behind the team.

That's been tried and proven not to work with Svennis. Sven was horrible throughout, well let's not think about it all too much, let's just be glad he's gone. The problem is, he was replaced with horrible's apprentice.

There's many decent managers in English football, some even English. McClaren can't motivate and seems clueless in tactics as well - unfortunately Gerrard pulled him out of the mud this time so he will linger longer, but in reality he's got to go if England wants to compete for the title in '08.

Inability to make a clean cut has already destroyed the WC 06, now it's about to destroy 08 as well. And there's so much potential. Sigh.

My point, nikster was, whether you sigh, gripe, piss an moan all you like, it won't make a difference so get behind the bunch on the field. :o

Why is it me, as a United fan, fans accused of not supporting England, that's asking people to support the team.?

United fans stopped going to England cos other fans saw it as an opportunity to team up and songs like 'stand up if you hate Man U' would always rouse the crowd and, aid our departure to the armchair/pub.

Many of my football supporting friends grimace at the way some England fans are behaving.

So things aren't going our way, have they ever, since 68.

Don't bombard me with 'oh yeah this' and 'no passion that'. Trophy cabinet contents and final appearances are what counts. I see none, since then, good football or not....!

redrus

Well what the hel_l was that about? the 1st half was the worst 45 mins I've ever seen, we were running around like headless chickens, no shape, no passion and no ideas! The second half started better, we got stuck in to some meaty tackles and looked more like a team pulling in the same direction!

I absolutely 100% concur

Time to get rid of that moron Mclaren he ain,t got the slightest clue how to manage an International team hardly suprising given he was Swens apprentice :o

Yep. But the question is, who would we replace him with. Actually, our local Lollypop lady could do just as good of a job. :D

post-15680-1175171654_thumb.jpg

You mean her?

post-15680-1175171583_thumb.jpg

My point, nikster was, whether you sigh, gripe, piss an moan all you like, it won't make a difference so get behind the bunch on the field. :o

Why is it me, as a United fan, fans accused of not supporting England, that's asking people to support the team.?

United fans stopped going to England cos other fans saw it as an opportunity to team up and songs like 'stand up if you hate Man U' would always rouse the crowd and, aid our departure to the armchair/pub.

Many of my football supporting friends grimace at the way some England fans are behaving.

Don't bombard me with 'oh yeah this' and 'no passion that'. Trophy cabinet contents and final appearances are what counts. I see none, since then, good football or not....!

well said red, i remember the stand up if you hate man u at england games and booing the united players when over half the team was united players, i gave up going england games when i was outed as a united fan on a england trip and a few dickheads wanted to have a go but lucky for me a few sound lads helped me out, i mean <deleted> i was supporting england.

anyway nowaday's i cringe whenb i see the larger louts who follow england and boo the team.

well said about getting behind the team, i rember fergie was one game away from the sack,but a young mark robbins saved his bacon scoring at forrest in the fa cup and i think that year we went on to win the fa cup, and look where we are now all these years later, i was never one of the fergie out brigade but i remember a lot of reds singing it.

redrus

well said red, i remember the stand up if you hate man u at england games and booing the united players when over half the team was united players, i gave up going england games when i was outed as a united fan on a england trip and a few dickheads wanted to have a go but lucky for me a few sound lads helped me out, i mean <deleted> i was supporting england.

anyway nowaday's i cringe whenb i see the larger louts who follow england and boo the team.

well said about getting behind the team, i rember fergie was one game away from the sack,but a young mark robbins saved his bacon scoring at forrest in the fa cup and i think that year we went on to win the fa cup, and look where we are now all these years later, i was never one of the fergie out brigade but i remember a lot of reds singing it.

redrus

nev, cheers fella, I speak from experience on the other side. I did sing 'Fergie out'.

Admittedly, I was about 14 at the time but, in hind site, it taught me not to be so quick as the next year I was in Rotterdam.... :D

If other teams had not not been so quick, they may have found gem's too. Newcastle.

Back to England though and the time I think we're both talking about. Possible United players in the England first team at the same time.

Phil and Gary Neville, Wes Brown, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham off the top, there maybe more.

I remember the abuse got that bad I thought <deleted> you lot, if you could choose to take your players out, I would've.

Sad, very sad.

redrus

Back to England though and the time I think we're both talking about. Possible United players in the England first team at the same time.

Phil and Gary Neville, Wes Brown, Nicky Butt, Paul Scholes, David Beckham, Andy Cole and Teddy Sheringham off the top, there maybe more.

redrus

hate to say this....but those were the days (in recent years) that england played some decent football :o

but anyhow.....

go Oranjeeeeeeeeeeee :D

If I were the manager and bearing in mind there were no injuries and current players had not retired from internationals this would be my starting eleven.

4-4-2

GK-Robinson (Spurs)

RB-G. Neville (Man Utd)

CH-Terry (Chelsea) Captain

CH-Carragher (Liverpool)

LB-A. Cole (Chelsea)

RM-Beckham (Real Madrid)

CM-Gerrard (Liverpool)

CM-Scholes (Man Utd)

LM-J. Cole (Chelsea)

Strikers-Rooney (Man Utd)

Owen (Newcastle)

redrus

hate to say this....but those were the days (in recent years) that england played some decent football :o

but anyhow.....

go Oranjeeeeeeeeeeee :D

So you're Dutch now....? You confuse the <deleted> out of me....! :D

If I were the manager and bearing in mind there were no injuries and current players had not retired from internationals this would be my starting eleven.

4-4-2

GK-Robinson (Spurs)

RB-G. Neville (Man Utd)

CH-Terry (Chelsea) Captain

CH-Carragher (Liverpool)

LB-A. Cole (Chelsea)

RM-Beckham (Real Madrid)

CM-Gerrard (Liverpool)

CM-Scholes (Man Utd)

LM-J. Cole (Chelsea)

Strikers-Rooney (Man Utd)

Owen (Newcastle)

Not bad that fella, so much so can't think of a different team. Apart from Foster in Goal but, that's the future not the past....!

redrus

I absolutely 100% concur

post-15680-1175171654_thumb.jpg

You mean her?

Or do you mean this lollipop lady?

post-39032-1175787750.jpg

(I thought that the naked ones would be inappropriate.)

• 1 month later...

Yesterday I was going to write a long post bemoaning the England set up with dull as ditch water Maclaren in charge.

Unless I've missed something no-one has posted about the game, sad reflection on our interest in England.

Anyway just wanted to ask if anyone else just had that feeling immediately after we scored, that Brazil would score ....somehow .

Quite honestly I thought we could have lost the game by 2 or more goals, and Maclaren is praising our defense...hahahahaha

Terry will take blame for failure

England captain John Terry says he will take "full responsibility" should Steve McClaren's side fail to qualify for the Euro 2008 finals.

Ahead of Wednesday's game with Estonia, England are fourth in Group E, five points behind leaders Croatia.

And Terry said: "I will take full responsibility if we don't manage to reach the finals but I am not talking negatively about anything like that.

"It is down to me to lead the boys and make sure that everything is right."

If England do miss out on a place in Austria and Switzerland next summer, it will be the first time they have failed to reach a major finals since the 1994 World Cup in the United States.

Terry, 26, knows victory in Tallinn is vital if England are to progress, adding: "We are desperate to get the win. We can't wait for the game.

"We are excited about it and we are looking forward to it. Everyone knows how important it is, not just to us but to everyone back home in England and the great support we get all around the world.

"I get asked what it will be like sitting on a beach in two weeks without a win under our belts but I don't even want to think along those lines.

"I am not going to think negatively. That is not in our thoughts. We are all thinking positively.

"We are going to be giving 110% and doing our bit and we are just asking for that from them like they normally give."

• 2 months later...

I can't believe it's been over a year since we had anything about england, to talk about.

Anyway, from the BBC. What do you think should we leave Carragher out to pasture? Or is he still good enough?

McClaren planning Carragher talks

England coach Steve McClaren is to renew his attempts to persuade Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher not to retire from international football.

Carragher has hinted he no longer wants to play a bit-part role for England.

But with John Terry, Ledley King and Jonathan Woodgate all set to miss the forthcoming friendly with Germany, McClaren wants Carragher to play on.

"I've had a couple of conversations with Jamie and I'll have another with him next week," said McClaren.

"Jamie Carragher is a very important player for England and a very important member of the squad"

"There is no way I want to lose him and keeping Jamie involved is my main aim at present."

Carragher was omitted from England's last game - a Euro 2008 qualifier in Estonia - and is frustrated by his status in the national team's pecking order.

"I can totally understand his thought process," said McClaren. "I've every sympathy with players who want to play and feel they should.

"In a way, he has been quite unfortunate. There are players in every squad who can be effective in many positions, maybe sometimes to their detriment."

If Carragher opts to retire from international football, McClaren said he might turn to Portsmouth defender Sol Campbell.

The 32-year-old defender has not featured for England since last summer's World Cup.

"You can't close the door on anyone in this job," said McClaren.

"It would be silly and foolish of me to dismiss either Sol or [Campbell's Portsmouth team-mate] David James.

"I never said I'd do it and I've no intention of doing it.

"Last season was a very good one for Sol and with Ben Foster being injured as well, I will certainly be going to watch Portsmouth.

"I've brought players back in the past and as long as players want to be involved with England, that is great."

Before talking to Carragher, McClaren will assess David Beckham's fitness and the standard of MLS soccer on a trip to America this week.

McClaren said: "I know David has been struggling with injury and has not played yet but I intend to go over and have a chat with him to see how he is.

"I also need to watch an MLS game in the flesh and have a look at the standard - I need to see it myself." :o( i like to travel on the FA's money more like)

McClaren will watch Washington's DC United host LA Galaxy on Thursday.

Following that, McClaren will travel across England to take in four games in the opening five days of the Premier League season.

Starting at West Ham on Saturday, McClaren will then head to Manchester United, Tottenham and Portsmouth.

McClaren will want to cast his eye over as many players as possible before picking his squad to face Germany on 22 August.

I've been listening to the Radio this evening, and they are also suggesting that Sol Campbell is likely to be recalled to the starting line up. With all these centre backs out injured maybe even Titus Bramble might be in with a shout.

I suppose we really need Heskey back now to get people really talking. :o

• 4 weeks later...
I've been listening to the Radio this evening, and they are also suggesting that Sol Campbell is likely to be recalled to the starting line up. With all these centre backs out injured maybe even Titus Bramble might be in with a shout.

How right you were toadie....!

04/09/07: Primary Sources

Rearrange the following words ‘players’ ‘flies ‘’England’ ‘like’ and ‘dropping’ and you have a clear idea of Steve McLaren’s current mess.

United’s Owen Hargreaves was the latest to fall victim to injury and was unable to train with the England squad today, joining John Terry, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard on the sidelines. Was this the spell Michael Carrick invoked when the camera caught him last Saturday with his vexed schoolboy-cant-get-his-own-way look after Fergie refused to put him on as a substitute?

McClaren is already in the crosshairs of the media and with Israel and Russia looking to do him no favours at all, the England coach’s fate is in the hands of the gods. Already he is clutching at straws. It has come to something when Emile Heskey, unfairly maligned as a poor man’s Michael Ricketts, is recalled to the squad after a three year absence, due to England’s injury toll. If one or more stars drop out now, the real Michael Ricketts might get a game!

It is easy to understand how English football has come to this but it is no comfort that I find myself in some agreement with the ‘Little Englander’ section of the fourth estate. Who can deny seriously that the pool of English players available to McClaren is appallingly shallow because of the decreasing numbers of English players appearing at all levels of English professional football?

The Premiership’s economics have been heavily trailed as the reason behind this crisis. It is cheaper and more cost effective for clubs to recruit Johnny Foreigner than an Englishman of similar class.

But not for the first time, free market economics suck. I’m writing this blog in part because of the explosion in interest caused by Gazza’s tears and England’s contribution to the year that football came home. A strong national team creates the interest which percolates throughout the domestic game. Conversely, a weak national team could have a withering impact on sides outside the Champions League elite.

Some argue that this is all too simple. They smile benignly at Arsene Wenger’s no-Brit experiment and claim its all about coaching. Holland are cited as the classic example. With a small population, the Netherlands still produce great footballers and great football teams. All the other top Euro leagues have suffered a ‘foreign invasion’ and yet Italy won the World Cup last year. France, with a similar population to Britain, was runner-up whilst Spain continues to produce and export excellent footballers despite having a smaller population than that found in Blighty.

So sit down, shut up and let nature’s law unfold.

Well, I don’t know. All of the above is factually true but I’m just not convinced. It’s like saying that a steady diet of violent films don’t have a social impact. No one can prove a compelling causal link but most people know it exists!

However, sitting out training meant Hargreaves had lots of time to offer quotes to the press about United’s glorious future once the big guns return. Three cheers for that.

Meanwhile, United offered Ryan Giggs a new deal in the hope that he equals or passes Sir Bobby Charlton’s appearance record. The Welsh wonder has amassed 721 appearances in Red and is just 38 games away from Charlton’s club record. But with the emergence of Nani, the finishing line for Giggs is tantalisingly near and yet so far.

Oh yes. Alan Smith was chuffed to bits that Fergie sent him a thank you letter and told every hack within shouting distance of his affection for United. Maybe the manager can find something good to write down and send to RVN and Gabriel Heinze to blunt their regular media sniping.

redrus

How right you were toadie....!

redrus

On this particular issue, I wish I had been wrong. But I did have a feeling that it was going to happen. :D

Perhaps after next Wednesday the mods (are you looking Jockstar) will close this thread & put us out of our misery :bah:

I'd quite happily close it mate. :D:D But then again i could keep it open just to feel your pain. :D:D

I'm already a broken man Jokstar after last Saturday, I'm still taking stick for that :o

Perhaps after next Wednesday the mods (are you looking Jockstar) will close this thread & put us out of our misery :bah:

I'd quite happily close it mate. :D:D But then again i could keep it open just to feel your pain. :D:D

I'm already a broken man Jokstar after last Saturday, I'm still taking stick for that :o

I wouldn't worry Chavy, nothing that you could have done will be as bad as watching Heskey running out onto the pitch tomorrow night in an England shirt :bah:

Edited by mrtoad

Well i thought was a good performance last night and a great result

I wouldn't worry Chavy, nothing that you could have done will be as bad as watching Heskey running out onto the pitch tomorrow night in an England shirt :o

Actually, surprisingly Heskey played pretty well last night

Well i thought was a good performance last night and a great result
I wouldn't worry Chavy, nothing that you could have done will be as bad as watching Heskey running out onto the pitch tomorrow night in an England shirt :o

Actually, surprisingly Heskey played pretty well last night

I Also thought Heskey did his job well and could have been 4 or 5 nil if more of the chances were taken.

Good goals from the three scorers.

Tougher match on Wednesday, and Crouch will be back, so interesting to see which one he plays. I would think Crouch.

Although I have made my opinion about Heskey quite clear, considering the stick that he has had, he did an alright job last night. However, wether he is effective against top ranked sides is open to debate.