Hydroponic help with lettuce

Hi. I have been playing with a small hydroponic setup at the house, mainly to grow my own Lettuce, so I have some when I want.

My problem is the lettuce I have is growing very long, not a compact head as I expect.

I guess I use the wrong nutrients, but not sure.

Any suggestions anyone?

post-154134-1420857672335_thumb.jpg

post-154134-14208577216953_thumb.jpg

Thanks Jimmy,

It's not in a room, but behind the house. Don't have a cover, but the house may provide a lot of shade.

Nutrient flow is fine. What you see is 4 stages. Something like 1,2, 3 and 4 week old plants.

Last time I had oak leaf that was 3 feet long with leaves every 1-2 inch.

I got the nutrients from Fresh Garden in Bangkok.

Can I put the lettuce in direct sunlight?

Thanks Jimmy,

It's not in a room, but behind the house. Don't have a cover, but the house may provide a lot of shade.

Nutrient flow is fine. What you see is 4 stages. Something like 1,2, 3 and 4 week old plants.

Last time I had oak leaf that was 3 feet long with leaves every 1-2 inch.

I got the nutrients from Fresh Garden in Bangkok.

Can I put the lettuce in direct sunlight?

Hi Stephan

Well assuming all the nutrient formulas are right, they should be doing better!

The Hydroponic farm, I visit regularly has only clear four mil (could be six mil?) plastic covering his lettuce... & sometimes has shade cloth at the sides for younger plants (not on top)

So if your unit is easy to move, I would give it more sun, and try to protect the top... I think any larger hardware store would have clear plastic...

I can't find more images of the setup, to add, at the moment, there are some buried in Farm Photos....& somewhere on my computer, too !facepalm.gif Will see if I can find! wink.png

Edited by samuijimmy

Thanks again. The unit is really meant for household use and quite mobile. Will give it a trial, but first need to built a frame for the foil.

For the time being I replanted some hydro romaine, I got from the market. Will see if that shots up as well....see pic.

Second pic is one of my own (not romaine though) but huge leaves. And then my romaine, you see what is wrong.

post-154134-14209513552195_thumb.jpg

post-154134-14209515464986_thumb.jpg

post-154134-14209516156248_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

It was easier to go to the farm and get new images than find them on the computer! wink.png This shows a bit more!

Whether a large or small set it does not matter...

It's been fairly cloudy here, lately, but you can see they have black shade cloth (black is 75% and Green is 50% shade) to put down if needed for younger plants..

jan%25202014-1833.jpg

jan%25202014-1835.jpg

Should you move this now and you have sun, be sure to "harden them off" and let them get used to the direct sun.... a few days should do it, a few hours more each day!

I hope you let us know, how they do ....thumbsup.gif

It was easier to go to the farm and get new images than find them on the computer! wink.png This shows a bit more!

It's been fairly cloudy here, lately, but you can see they have black shade cloth (black is 75% and Green is 50% shade) to put down if needed for younger plants..

jan%25202014-1833.jpg

jan%25202014-1835.jpg

Should you move this now and you have sun, be sure to "harden them off" and let them get used to the direct sun.... a few days should do it, a few hours more each day!

Very nice arrangement. Love it!
  • Like 1

Very nice arrangement. Love it!

What's surprising is on little old Samui, we have about 5 or maybe six Hydroponic farms like this.... Most of the lettuce goes to the hotels...

Actually pretty easy and basic to set up....

Be sure to let us know if you have improvement in your quality! thumbsup.gif

• 4 weeks later...

I think a little more sun did the trick. My lettuce starts curling and forming balls.

Next planting in a couple of days and then I see for sure.

That's more like an insect causing the curling and forming a ball...open one up and take a boo, perhaps very small, you may need a magnifying glass!

In the photo above of the smaller operation at the resort, ^ they are using a very fine plastic mesh material (hard to tell from image) only the top is plastic...

Insects tend to head to plants over night... and do most damage...