Don't you find the heading of this forum annoying?

wilcopops

what's more annoying (maybe not the right word/sentiment) are those poster's who week in/week out, offer apparent superior knowledge without actually showing anything outstanding from their own portfolio.

Hmmm . . . makes you wonder, doesn't it ?

• Like 1

what's more annoying (maybe not the right word/sentiment) are those poster's who week in/week out, offer apparent superior knowledge without actually showing anything outstanding from their own portfolio.

No time to shoot these days and the only place I thread I can post in is Wide World.

No time to shoot these days and the only place I thread I can post in is Wide World.

fear not . . i was never thinking of you. wink.png

annoyed.gif.pagespeed.ce.EWbqpZ7s0bWXwkG Wot?!

Is there something wrong with my tog work?

- maybe I'm one of those people - but posters are asking for feedback - so I think it's great that people take the time to provide some.

• Like 1

- maybe I'm one of those people - but posters are asking for feedback - so I think it's great that people take the time to provide some.

Oh no shortage of critics on this forum.

How about 'Check my photo and tell me if it's crap or not'?

.... and some pointers on how to take photos that are less crap in future?

Always take the lens cap off.

Since switching to digital I don't have that issue any more - now it's .... "why is everything black ..... oh yes ...... doh"

• Like 1

What's even worse is people you try to help, but they just ignore your efforts.

Sometimes it just takes time for the new information to reach to the back of the brain. The older we get, the more information we have stored on our synapses. When we learn new tricks, before the information is stored permanently, it has to be compared to the earlier learnings.. and this takes time.

I have noted that I lapse back to old habits every now and then. One reason is though "The heck of all the new, I just want to keep my hobby easy and fun". To balance the learning and fun at the moment I'm using my older bridge camera instead of m4/3 camera which gives far better image quality.

Another thing which is good to remember is that the advices never go to waste. Even if one person does not take the advices, on public forum there will be others who do. Sometimes silently on the background, sometimes thanking later on (and showing the results as well).

Critique most likely, but using the word "Criticise" is inaccurate & indeed wrong.

And yes, Art can be, & is Evaluated.

"Critique" is usually a noun "criticise" is a verb used in the Art world when discussing a work. Both words have a similar usage as regards art, but not in day-to-day conversation.

You may be aware of the habit in English of using French (or Latin) when trying to sound academic, in this case the difference is actually pretty immaterial.

A similar parallel a be drawn with the word "theory" which has different usage in general conversation as opposed to its scientific usage.

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

Oh no shortage of critics on this forum.

"are those poster's who week in/week out, offer apparent superior knowledge without actually showing anything outstanding from their own portfolio." - so under your idea it would be impossible to criticise a Picasso because you hadn't painted one???

Why? Maybe the person's photos are too valuable to display on this forum. Posting photos or not says nothing about the person's ability to critique a photo.

Hi MJP,

Well it did Turned out to be a Prize Photo may I say thumbsup.gif

Win, just a snapper facepalm.gif

Got a "fave" from SoulRiser on Flickr as soon as it went up. He had a photo in the top 25 of Flickr for 2014.

I felt very honoured. smile.png

Hi MJP,

Well it did Turned out to be a Prize Photo may I say thumbsup.gif

Win, just a snapper facepalm.gif

Got a "fave" from SoulRiser on Flickr as soon as it went up. He had a photo in the top 25 of Flickr for 2014.

I felt very honoured. smile.png

w00t.gif Jeez Creepers.... https://www.flickr.com/photos/7661492@N06/14074411192 ...That was #10 out of millions of Flickr uploads for 2014?

i almost choked on my chang! Had to go outside to get some air, and could've sworn i heard Polin's laughter wafting on the breeze all the way from the US.

Post with inappropriate content removed and all comments associated with it. Think a bit before posting photos of that nature and the effect on the caliber of the photo forum.

Also, per the OP, there is nothing wrong with the word 'evaluate' as you do evaluate a photo as to it's technical merits and hopefully will get feedback as to what one feels about the technical aspect and subject aspect. That feedback can be negative but still be constructive.

And no, I don't find the heading annoying and believe it is being oversensitive and a bit pedantic to think so. wink.png

BTW, it is the Photography AND Arts forum, just the ARTs part hasn't fared well. I've been an art collector, both fine and conventional, for decades and I have no issue with the word evaluate as it pertains to my personal examination of a piece of art. Critique is for the professionals. smile.png

You can browse through these two topics to get a feel for the consensus.

Is Photography Art?

The Only Art Thread

//edit - oddly enough, I can't find a single photo that the OP has contributed to the photo forum. Perhaps worried about being 'critiqued'?

"you do evaluate a photo as to it's technical merits and hopefully will get feedback as to what one feels about the technical aspect and subject aspect" - i don't think so - evaluate has basically numerical implications - unless you are going to guess the f-stop or focal length ISO or exposure values etc I can't see it as having any real application here. ...but that is tangential to "art"?