Extension based on Thai wife renewal Sakhon Nakhon...any recent experiences?

My 12 month Non O extension based on Thai wife is due end of this month and as I live in Kalasin I have to go to Sakhon Nakhon. This will be my second extension at Sakhon and I am wondering what documentation etc will be required...ie different to last year. Last year I had to take a witness, his documentation, plus a letter and ID documentation from the village head here. As I live 3 hours from the SN office I am therefore trying to avoid any extra trips due to inadequate paperwork etc so any recent experiences would be greatly appreciated.

I did my third "marriage" extension at Sakon Nakhon last week,your wife must go with you to sign a declaration but you don't need a witness.

2 copies of everything as well as the original documents where possible:

Form TM7

Passport id page

Visa

Departure card

Previous extension stamp

Marriage cert. and registration sheet ( this shows the signatures of you and wife,witness and registrar)

Bank letter dated the day that you are applying

Bank passbook updated to the date that you are applying

Wife blue book

Wife id card

Letter from village head + id card

Map of village with your house marked

4 Photo's of you/wife around the house ( 1 showing the address) you need 2 sets of these

2 passport type photo's of yourself ( obviously!)

The marriage certificate and signature sheet are double sided so make sure the copies are the same i.e on a single sheet of paper.

It helps if you fill in both TM 7 forms and seperate the documents into 2 sets

• Like 1

I did my third "marriage" extension at Sakon Nakhon last week,your wife must go with you to sign a declaration but you don't need a witness.

Form TM7

Passport id page

Visa

Departure card

Previous extension stamp

Marriage cert. and registration sheet ( this shows the signatures of you and wife,witness and registrar)

Wife blue book

Wife id card

4 Photo's of you/wife around the house ( 1 showing the address) you need 2 sets of these

The marriage certificate and signature sheet are double sided so make sure the copies are the same i.e on a single sheet of paper.

Thanks a lot Jim for your very detailed response. I imagine they gave you an "under consideration" stamp and you have to go back in a month?

Edited by ubonjoe
moved reply from quoted text

You will get a under consideration stamp. That is done for every extension of stay based upon marriage.

Thanks Ubonjoe. They told me last year that it would be a lot easier this year but it seems the only difference is not having to take a witness (and possibly not coming around the house hinting at fuel money and taking them for dinnerwink.png )

Just a question for my own interest.

Why is a letter from the village head required and what does it say in the letter.

Is this something for small villages as i live in Phuket and i never heard of it.

Seems the village head is a "credible" witness to confirm you are known or seen as a couple in the village. The letter simply states the head knows you as a couple living together and for how long. Guess it counters those who are only seen together at visa renewal timewhistling.gif

Forgot to mention that you need to copy every page of the bank passbook that shows any transactions and if you have a yellow house book you should take hatt along as well.I was told the same thing after my first extension about subsequent years being easier but the only difference is you don't need an independant witness.

I've often wondered about the letter from the village leader ( i live in a small village in Kalasin),if you live in a town or city you obviously don't need this but is something else required instead?

Very few offices ask for the letter from the village head. I have never needed one for the 7 extensions I have done.

For the first one immigration had us get a letter from the local police to take back to them after the application was accepted.

What about a certificate of residence same

Proof of residence is needed to get an extension of stay.

A certificate of residence is not needed.

I think that you mixed them up.

Proof of Residence is required for example your driving license.

Certificate of Residence is the notification of address when you arrive in Thailand and if done at the immigration will be stapled in your passport and this is required for renewing your one year extension of stay.

At least that is how Phuket immigration calls them.

Certificate of Residence is the notification of address when you arrive in Thailand and if done at the immigration will be stapled in your passport and this is required for renewing your one year extension of stay.

What they are stamping into a passport is not a certificate of residence. It a TM30 form for a home owner to to report the presence of foreigner receipt that they may of been modified a little bit. It is a Phuket only thing.

A certificate of residence is what you need to get a drivers license.There is even this form to request it. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/res_cert.pdf

Proof of residence is what most immigration offices want to prove where you live. For example a rental agreement.

What they are stamping into a passport is not a certificate of residence. It a TM30 form for a home owner to to report the presence of foreigner receipt that they may of been modified a little bit. It is a Phuket only thing.

A certificate of residence is what you need to get a drivers license.There is even this form to request it. http://www.immigration.go.th/nov2004/download/pdf/res_cert.pdf

Proof of residence is what most immigration offices want to prove where you live. For example a rental agreement.

Phuket is indeed special and different again.

They don't use the TM30 or the certificate of residence form ( as attached by you) but have their own forms, They will accept the TM30 if it downloaded from internet example.

The call the address registration Certificate of Residence and Proof of Residence for DL etc.

Phuket likes to do things different. wink.png

Form TM7

Passport id page

Visa

Departure card

Previous extension stamp

Wife blue book

Wife id card

The outcome: Thanks Jim, I followed your much appreciated list and everything went smoothly. The only thing I did differently was to include copies of every page of my passport. The only ones they tossed out were the stamps immigration transferred to my new book when I renewed my passport quite some time back. They requested nothing more bar the hint that I buy him lunch plus a jacket like the one I was wearing.....yeah right!! Thanks again Jim.

Edited by ThaiFelix

OK,glad it went smoothly.I've always found the staff there very helpful.Is copying the entire a passport a new requirement?

Yeah gotta agree with you wholeheartedly Jim, the staff there are always extremely patient and helpful, best in my experiences with Thai immigration over 10 years though I have never had a bad experience. It's actually quite a pleasant ordeal if it weren't for the distances we have to travel.

No offence intended to you/ your comments, but just to be on the safe side, I also had my wife ring the office to double check on the requirements and they stated every page in passport. For safety reasons I decided to go the whole hog and give them copies of everything. Not to say they maybe would have been happy with only that which was included in your list. I also know from experience that Thai bureaucracy is addicted to using up as much paper as they can. Makes me wonder where it goes? There must be huge warehouses full of the stuff....or is it sold off to recyclers and the funds used for the annual Xmas/New Years party??

OK,glad it went smoothly.I've always found the staff there very helpful.Is copying the entire a passport a new requirement?

Yeah gotta agree with you wholeheartedly Jim, the staff there are always extremely patient and helpful, best in my experiences with Thai immigration over 10 years though I have never had a bad experience. It's actually quite a pleasant ordeal if it weren't for the distances we have to travel.

No offence intended to you/ your comments, but just to be on the safe side, I also had my wife ring the office to double check on the requirements and they stated every page in passport. For safety reasons I decided to go the whole hog and give them copies of everything. Not to say they maybe would have been happy with only that which was included in your list. I also know from experience that Thai bureaucracy is addicted to using up as much paper as they can. Makes me wonder where it goes? There must be huge warehouses full of the stuff....or is it sold off to recyclers and the funds used for the annual Xmas/New Years party??

I think that the section i've highlighted in red is the best advise to anybody with immgration/visa/extension questions,ring your local office to determine the requirements for that office.There is a lot of good advice on here but it's best to check,a good example is the letter from the village leader which most people don't need or aren't even aware of. Agree with you about the amount of paper used,it's crazy but that's the system.

I think that the section i've highlighted in red is the best advise to anybody with immgration/visa/extension questions,ring your local office to determine the requirements for that office.There is a lot of good advice on here but it's best to check,a good example is the letter from the village leader which most people don't need or aren't even aware of. Agree with you about the amount of paper used,it's crazy but that's the system.

Calling your local immigration office is always helpful but in no any way a guarantee for success.

Every officer can decide on the spot if he requires any more information to accept your application.