Shirataki (Konjac) Noodles in Thailand?

JimShortz

I have seen them in the Big C quite a few times. They are in liquid in a plastic bag usually in the refrigerated area.

I thought they normally came dried, but I will check that out. Thank you very much for the lead!

I am 100% sure they are in a watery substance and the root itself is white and is a bit rubbery of texture. It helps as a filler in your meals.

do I understand that right?

The don't have any kcal?

no carbs, fat, protein, that the body could use?

Yes you got it right, i used to eat them.

Are they as disgusting as they sound? I guess it's all about the texture though.

I used soy sauce to flavor them, it was just a filler.. you know to feel full. There is even a kind of Thai medicine (against overweight). Its made from the fibers of the root you take the pills with water and they should fill you. Ya buk or something like it. I tried it but found the real thing work better.

do I understand that right?

The don't have any kcal?

no carbs, fat, protein, that the body could use?

Yes you got it right, i used to eat them.

Are they as disgusting as they sound? I guess it's all about the texture though.

I used soy sauce to flavor them, it was just a filler.. you know to feel full. There is even a kind of Thai medicine (against overweight). Its made from the fibers of the root you take the pills with water and they should fill you. Ya buk or something like it. I tried it but found the real thing work better.

Seems a bit strange to eat filler....

I call it a filler as it does not have much taste and no calories but makes you feel full.

yes but by felling full, you won't get used to smaller dishes. In future you'll need the same amount of food to feel full. That either keeps you more hungry or you eat more in future.

As well I can't cheat my body by eating empty volume, I feel kind of unsatisfied.

I call it a filler as it does not have much taste and no calories but makes you feel full.

yes but by felling full, you won't get used to smaller dishes. In future you'll need the same amount of food to feel full. That either keeps you more hungry or you eat more in future.

As well I can't cheat my body by eating empty volume, I feel kind of unsatisfied.

Its a tool you can use.. does work for you but it did work for me. Nice to use at times that you want to go real low but still feel a bit filled. Besides it would not be a problem for me as I normally prepare all my food myself. SO i have total control.

• 1 year later...

It's a tool.

You can use it or abuse it.

I think I will try these to check out their mouth feel.

Well did you try them. and what was the result. Also did you buy the 'wet' version or the 'dry' and where did you buy them.

I am looking for a low cal/low carb filler. I do my own cooking and can always think of sauces or curries to go with it.

Thanks

I have never bought shirataki noodles here in Thailand but have always been able to get them in the US at 99 Ranch markets. It's good to know you can get them here. For me the best way to improve the texture is to fry them alone in a pan to remove as much water as possible from the noodles. I've even used them with fresh marinara sauce to make spaghetti with good results.

I wonder what it would be like if you used them in yum woon sen. Has anyone tried them this way?

Grin

• 4 weeks later...

It's a tool.

You can use it or abuse it.

I think I will try these to check out their mouth feel.

Well did you try them. and what was the result. Also did you buy the 'wet' version or the 'dry' and where did you buy them.

I am looking for a low cal/low carb filler. I do my own cooking and can always think of sauces or curries to go with it.

Thanks

Still waiting for somebody to tell me where to buy them.

Sautee them in a small amount of olive oil, for awhile, they will start to lose some of their liquid and get less slimy. I add some tomato paste, onions, maybe a little beef. It's not half bad.

Max Valu and Foodland have the half Kojac/ half tofu - they are a better texture, when cooked are quite a bit like pasta. But I stopped eating them becasue the next day I would feel like something was stuck in my throat. Don't know what that was about.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sautee them in a small amount of olive oil, for awhile, they will start to lose some of their liquid and get less slimy. I add some tomato paste, onions, maybe a little beef. It's not half bad.

Max Valu and Foodland have the half Kojac/ half tofu - they are a better texture, when cooked are quite a bit like pasta. But I stopped eating them becasue the next day I would feel like something was stuck in my throat. Don't know what that was about.

I was in Foodland today but couldn't work out what was Konjac noodles and what was egg noodles, any suggestions.

NRF493lg.jpg

I was in Foodland today but couldn't work out what was Konjac noodles and what was egg noodles, any suggestions.

• 2 months later...

Just buy a single package or two for experimenting.  I could never find a way to choke them down...UGH!  And I am sucker for beetroot and bitter apple and all sorts of appetite killers and fillers.  I never found them dried!  That might help a lot.  The ones in slime...oh .. the world slime says it all

I just bought a package again.. and I normally can eat it all. Just want to try it again to see if i can live with it. (or not). It would be a nice filler. 

I used them 5-6 years ago when i wanted to lose my weight.. now going to give them a test again. 

I like them once in a while but it's weird, the day after I eat them I feel like there's something stuck in my throat.  Don't know what that is about!

Much better to make zoodles!  Thinly slice zucchini or peel it with a potato peeler, then blanch it.  Makes great noodles, low carb, and I suppose healthier than the shirataki.  Also cubed zuke sauteed with some meat is great - let it cook long enough and it gets nice and firm like potato almost, except without the glycemic load.

Edited by tominbkk

16 hours ago, tominbkk said:

I like them once in a while but it's weird, the day after I eat them I feel like there's something stuck in my throat.  Don't know what that is about!

Much better to make zoodles!  Thinly slice zucchini or peel it with a potato peeler, then blanch it.  Makes great noodles, low carb, and I suppose healthier than the shirataki.  Also cubed zuke sauteed with some meat is great - let it cook long enough and it gets nice and firm like potato almost, except without the glycemic load.

Now you tell me :w00t:

Just prepared them how you said and they were not half bad. Normally i would have taken maccaroni and now these Konjac  noodles. The taste of the sauce and minced chicken was strong enough to hide most of the slimy part and the sautee helped a lot too (did have a small fire in the pan from the rice bran). But overall its a good idea and I might use it more. 

But if I feel weird tomorrow.. I know to find you :D

To be honest my weight loss is going well.. the extra cardio and restricting of calories have helped quite well. Just going to see how far I can take it. Did hit a plateau but just kept doing what i did and i broke it. 

On 9/7/2016 at 0:45 PM, dontoearth said:

Just buy a single package or two for experimenting.  I could never find a way to choke them down...UGH!  And I am sucker for beetroot and bitter apple and all sorts of appetite killers and fillers.  I never found them dried!  That might help a lot.  The ones in slime...oh .. the world slime says it all

I find that rinsing well and then dry frying to remove the excess water works well. Then mixed with whatever sauce I am using and I find it very difficult to tell the difference from normal spaghetti.

11 hours ago, roger101 said:

I find that rinsing well and then dry frying to remove the excess water works well. Then mixed with whatever sauce I am using and I find it very difficult to tell the difference from normal spaghetti.

I must say it was not too bad and will probably eat them again today with sauce and ground chicken. Its a good way to feel fuller at less calories. Works for me. 

12 hours ago, robblok said:

I must say it was not too bad and will probably eat them again today with sauce and ground chicken. Its a good way to feel fuller at less calories. Works for me. 

I chop them up with a pair of scissors if it calls for rice and leave them whole for spaghetti.