Shirataki (Konjac) Noodles in Thailand?

JimShortz

21 minutes ago, roger101 said:

I chop them up with a pair of scissors if it calls for rice and leave them whole for spaghetti.

Haha I do the same scissors trick.  Then cook them till they are much drier and a little shrunken, add some meat, and a tablespoon of tomato paste and some italian herbs.  Drizzle just a bit of olive oli and sprinkle of sea salt to finish.  They are pretty good!  Except for that throat thing.

30 minutes ago, tominbkk said:

Haha I do the same scissors trick.  Then cook them till they are much drier and a little shrunken, add some meat, and a tablespoon of tomato paste and some italian herbs.  Drizzle just a bit of olive oli and sprinkle of sea salt to finish.  They are pretty good!  Except for that throat thing.

I make my own ground chicken (hard to find here and its better than pork). Now a food processor like that would probably also be able to cut those noodles up pretty well.

I have now eaten the noodles twice and i must say i do like them (tomorrow real macaroni as I need carbs for a hard workout). I wonder does any of you guys get constipated by them ? Just curious because they get digested hard ?

• 3 months later...

I've been searching for these miracle noodles at Big C, Tops, and three or four other places. no success finding them yet.

Not all noodles have a nutrition label, and the ones that have them seem to have the standard amount of calories.

Does anyone have a brand or even a picture of the 0 cal noodles to be found here?

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/7/2016 at 4:06 PM, robblok said:

I just bought a package again.. and I normally can eat it all. Just want to try it again to see if i can live with it. (or not). It would be a nice filler. 

I used them 5-6 years ago when i wanted to lose my weight.. now going to give them a test again. 

'Dry fry' them in a pan, maybe just a smidgen of oil, until they lose most of their moisture, about 10 minutes or so on high.  Then add your fixings.  It makes them less rubbery.

• 3 months later...
On 3/20/2017 at 9:50 PM, hawkeye76 said:

Does anyone know where to find these 0 carb noodles in Bangkok? 

Very interested in trying them out. 

for sure at foodland and max valu - that's the two places I get mine.  Go to the refrigerated section where you see fresh noodles, kimchi, etc.  They'll be there.  There's the plain ones, then some that have some tofu added to them that are green and yellow.  You can get a big block of the stuff too.

IMG_9169,i1rc8rHOwKg=.jpg

• 8 months later...
On 1/13/2015 at 12:18 PM, h90 said:

yes but by felling full, you won't get used to smaller dishes. In future you'll need the same amount of food to feel full. That either keeps you more hungry or you eat more in future.

As well I can't cheat my body by eating empty volume, I feel kind of unsatisfied.

I eat them sometimes. I use them to replace higher calorie options so that I can load my meal up with calories from other sources. Gives you more flexibility in what else you can add to a meal, not just in volume.

Same thing with Zoodles (zucchini pasta).

• 4 weeks later...

they are made of a root that comes from China, I have seen a documentary about it.

as everything food related coming from china you might want to think about what they put in it to grow it.

the main and only caratreristic of this root is that at the contact of liquid, it cells become 20 times bigger, here is what your "something stuck in throat feeling" comes from.

Obviously its 100% fiber so not digestible.

you will basically eat your noodle, it will becomes bigger in your stomach "making you feel full" effect, personally I have found the feeling not very comfortable, and then the next day you will make terrible poo where undigested "noodle" can be spotted. Honestly you will feel like a sort of shitty snake is getting from the entrance to the exit of your intestine. Obviously everyfood is, but given this one can not be digested at all, you kind of really feel it progress, LOL

Personnaly i have stopped it because of the imconfortable sensation, plus the "becoming bigger" side effect is that your stomach is becoming bigger while you want it to become smaller/maintained at the same size for a diet/healthy life style.

Honestly a salade is a much more enjoyable way of making yourself feel full but again, in thailand salade can be a concentrate of pesticide if you are not able to find some proper organic one.

Coming back to konjac noodle : not harmful but clearly not the magic trick + your <deleted> will thank you for stopping eating it.

PS : if you are looking for tasty high fiber food, but unfortunately with sugar, try the "KAnoun" aka the Jack Fruit. I love it and it is the fruit with the most fiber %. However make sure to find it not to young as you will have the sentation of eating cardboard packaging. Do not confuse it with the smelly Durian, not the same thing even though they look a bit a like, big with a thick brown skin, however the Durian has spikes while the Jack Fruit does not and is kind of a white/creamy while the Jack fruit is yellow (the inside)

Image result for jackfruit

I must be some kind of scatophile to speak so much about the toilet thing LOL

Edited by Darkkakashi

On 9/7/2016 at 9:14 PM, tominbkk said:

I like them once in a while but it's weird, the day after I eat them I feel like there's something stuck in my throat.  Don't know what that is about!

Much better to make zoodles!  Thinly slice zucchini or peel it with a potato peeler, then blanch it.  Makes great noodles, low carb, and I suppose healthier than the shirataki.  Also cubed zuke sauteed with some meat is great - let it cook long enough and it gets nice and firm like potato almost, except without the glycemic load.

You can by endame pasta and spelt pasta. For max fibre Pysellium AKA Sat Isabgol.

Edited by The manic