What are your healthy foods for weight control issues and health in general?

Jingthing

I think this list is pretty darned good!

I always say that there’s no single food that will cure you … or kill you.
Of course, regular consumption of whole grains, colorful fruits and vegetables, and fish means abundant nutrition, and possibly lower rates of cancer, obesity, and diabetes.
If your regular diet is full of fatty meats, sugary sodas, and deep-fried food you’re likely to be overweight and malnourished (isn’t that the truth!). But an occasional treat of ice cream or cake won’t kill you; just be sure that occasional doesn’t mean daily.
That said, here’s a short list of ‘must have’ foods that not only taste good, but also are good enough for you to eat just about every day!

http://cuencahighlife.com/top-10-foods-to-get-your-new-year-off-to-a-healthy-start/

I eat almost all of these regularly.

Nuts -- peanuts and almonds mostly (almonds daily)

Mushrooms -- specifically Shiitake which I eat numerous times a week

Potatoes -- maybe some once or twice a week at most, living in Asia you know

Avocados -- I'm crazy about those cados! But they're expensive in Thailand, Thais don't know how to store them so half the time they either don't ripen or ripen half rotten, so usually a few portions a week when I can get them, which is usually

Quinoa -- Never had in Thailand. I know it's trendy. It's expensive here and I don't know what to do with it anyway.

Berries -- I have some frozen Currants with my breakfast yogurt about 3 times a week

Super fruits -- You betcha! This is Thailand. That's a feature here. Guava, papaya, and mango. Multiple times each week.

Fish -- Sure thing. Canned tuna, canned sardines, smoked salmon, sometimes fish in restaurant dishes ... not fried. Frying fish basically ruins it as a health promoting food.

Eggs -- That's my middle name. Not really. Sure, eggs. Maybe 5 a week?

Coffee -- That's my first name. Life without coffee? Unthinkable.

So those are all from the link.

What about some OTHER foods that you think are helpful to you for weight control issues and general health that you do eat regularly?

I can think of some to start:

Red bell peppers (the green ones don't have the same level of nutrition)

Chile peppers

Onions

Red Onions

Tomatoes (cooked are better)

Celery (has filling liquid in it)

Bananas (potassium) yes I guess not a "diet" food per se but I feel I need them

Various Asian stir fried green vegetables (I get in restaurants)

Bitter melon

Whole grain pasta

Half milled rice

Ginger

Garlic

Kimchi

Yogurt with live cultures

Green tea

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

meat (pork, beef, chicken)

eggs

non fat milk

protein powder

alcohol in moderation

That is basically what I eat.

no fruit, no veg, no grains, no fish ?

once a week an apple, but try to increase that. Sometimes I eat them daily, but than again I forget.

Sometimes tomatoes, onion and garlic, but not often.

no grains (ok whiskey sometimes laugh.png ), I try to avoid them. Sometimes I eat pizza (grains) but I try to avoid it.

fish.....maybe a can of tuna once a month

I like to add:

Fresh Coconut water, dont have to look for the weight, so scratch out the slippery meat as well.

Tamarind, a Dom Yum without it isn't a Dom Yum.

Thai galangal, a Dom Yum without it... i prefer it sliced in thin pieces for easy chewing.

Lemon grass, a Dom Yum without... i also make an infusion with it.

Hibiscus, Bael fruit, Chrysanthemum flowers, for teas.

Fresh and dried black Pepper.

Seaweed, in soups.

(Japanese) Horse radish.

All kinds of citrus fruit.

Mung beans for dessert, sprouts, noodles

Soya bean sprouts, Sun flower sprouts.

Sun flower kernels, Pumpkin seeds.

Tofu.

Grass jelly for desserts.

Sesame, i make Gomashio in my own Suribachi.

• Like 1

Some more:

Broccoli

Olive Oil

Chick Peas

Legumes (Indian dals, etc,)

Mustard

mustard ???

Sometime you want a condiment and it's a heck of a lot better for you than ketchup or mayo!

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/yellow-mustard-health-benefits.html

I found a big difference between "French Mustard" from USA and real French/German/Austrian mustard. That doesn't even taste similar.

There is majo made from organic eggs with olive oil, that is for sure also something different than what McDonalds put into their Fatsugarburgers.

Kale or simialr dark-green leafy vegetables are availble in Thailnad and, marianated, are one of the most delicious

side-dishes I have had in Thailand. Wish I knew the Thai name...

Probably a great source of iron...

in thai they call it ...Kanaar ...

Kale or simialr dark-green leafy vegetables are availble in Thailnad and, marianated, are one of the most delicious

side-dishes I have had in Thailand. Wish I knew the Thai name...

Probably a great source of iron...

in thai they call it ...Kanaar ...

Thai Kale I think is very different than what westerners call Kale, yes?

Mustard and horse radish are great flavouring ingredients for a salad dressing. Mustard also helps to digest fatty foods better.

A spoon full sprouted mustard seeds gives an interesting note to soups and salads (now, where can i get a bag full of organic mustard seeds?)

Avoid Heinz mustard at all costs!

• Like 1

no greens ?

not really, as I told I try to eat tomatoes and apples......I regularly buy cucumber and put it in the trash bin 2 weeks later sad.png

I thought I was the only person to it, this is very reassuring.

Don't know why it's only cucumber though?

no greens ?

not really, as I told I try to eat tomatoes and apples......I regularly buy cucumber and put it in the trash bin 2 weeks later sad.png

I thought I was the only person to it, this is very reassuring.

Don't know why it's only cucumber though?

Well cucumber because it doesn't last long. Onion stays long so it has a better chance to get eating in time.

I actually love cucumber with garlic and maybe Greek cheese just it is too much work when you are tired.

I have that problem mostly with celery. Too much going in the trash. You can't buy a tiny portion of it and how much of it can you eat? I don't even buy cucumbers as they are so common in restaurant meals, that's enough.

One thing about frozen berries which I didn't realize until I saw a tip on a website.

It said just eat them directly frozen.

I hadn't thought of that and had thawed them before.

Thawed they lose a lot of flavor. Directly from frozen ... very good.

I have that problem mostly with celery. Too much going in the trash. You can't buy a tiny portion of it and how much of it can you eat? I don't even buy cucumbers as they are so common in restaurant meals, that's enough.

One thing about frozen berries which I didn't realize until I saw a tip on a website.

I never eat in restaurants......frozen berries, I have a package in the deep freeze since 1 year. I put them direct frozen in the yoghurt.

Blueberries. But the taste is nothing in compare to these my mother took from the forest when I was a child.

Celery is a great source of vitamin K, antioxidents and trace minerals. It is however a rather boring veg. I know you like your avocados JT, spread guacamole on celery sticks for a snack or as a light meal.

Celery is a great source of vitamin K, antioxidents and trace minerals. It is however a rather boring veg. I know you like your avocados JT, spread guacamole on celery sticks for a snack or as a light meal.

I only use celery in recipes like salads and sometimes cooked wok dishes. Peanut butter on celery is a famous snack concept but for me it's like a bad memory food. Anyway ...

I never eat in restaurants......frozen berries, I have a package in the deep freeze since 1 year. I put them direct frozen in the yoghurt.

Blueberries. But the taste is nothing in compare to these my mother took from the forest when I was a child.

Right. Frozen berries are better than thawed frozen berries. It's really true. Not going to get berries direct from the forest here!

Right. Frozen berries are better than thawed frozen berries. It's really true. Not going to get berries direct from the forest here!

right, but what I wanted to say mainly is that these frozen berries are crap, they even were crap before they were frozen.

triple the size of the real one, but less than 10% of the taste. It is like forest strawberries vs. the huge supermarket one.

No going into the forest in Thailand isn't an option, even I am sure there are delicious things there.

right, but what I wanted to say mainly is that these frozen berries are crap, they even were crap before they were frozen.

triple the size of the real one, but less than 10% of the taste. It is like forest strawberries vs. the huge supermarket one.

No going into the forest in Thailand isn't an option, even I am sure there are delicious things there.

What if you live in the forest?

What if you live in the forest?

Than you don't need to go into the forest as you are there already