What are your healthy foods for weight control issues and health in general?

Jingthing

I try to eat a variety of superfoods and spices, detoxifiers, antioxidants, anti-aging, cancer killing unprocessed whole plant fiber foods including broccoli, mustard seed powder, kale, spinach, cilantro, red kidney or pinto beans, chickpeas, humus, lentils, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes, flaxseed, chia seeds, carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, ginger, oatmeal, blueberries, plums/prunes, cranberries, mangoes, amla, papaya, oranges, Kiwi, bananas, lemons, limes, walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts, apples, coffee, green tea, water, 100% cocoa powder, almond milk, almond butter, stevia, turmeric, garlic, onions, cloves, cinnamon, oregano, black pepper, etc.

I avoid sugar, soda water & juices (sugars producing diabetes and phosphoric acid that dissolves bone) meat, chicken, fish (except small portion of wild caught Alaskan Salmon, weekly), eggs, milk, cheese most oil except minimized amounts of extra virgin olive oil & organic coconut oil.

Edited by ronz28
  • Like 1

I try to eat a variety of superfoods and spices, detoxifiers, antioxidants, anti-aging, cancer killing unprocessed whole plant fiber foods including broccoli, mustard seed powder, kale, spinach, cilantro, red kidney or pinto beans, chickpeas, humus, lentils, quinoa, brown rice, sweet potatoes, flaxseed, chia seeds, carrots, tomatoes, cabbage, ginger, oatmeal, blueberries, plums/prunes, cranberries, mangoes, amla, papaya, oranges, Kiwi, bananas, lemons, limes, walnuts, pecans, macadamia nuts, apples, coffee, green tea, water, 100% cocoa powder, almond milk, almond butter, stevia, turmeric, garlic, onions, cloves, cinnamon, oregano, black pepper, etc.

I avoid sugar, soda water & juices (sugars producing diabetes and phosphoric acid that dissolves bone) meat, chicken, fish (except small portion of wild caught Alaskan Salmon, weekly), eggs, milk, cheese most oil except minimized amounts of extra virgin olive oil & organic coconut oil.

Just a quick one: Why do you avoid soda water?

I actually prefer soda water over normal water, but only because it is in glass bottles and I don't trust the plastic bottle of the normal water (so it is the packing I prefer...)

I eat just about anything. If any one food is dangerous it is most likely due to toxins in the farming process or packaging. I figure you can't win. Most of us seem to live longer than before. Being a sugar addict I am looking to move over to sweet fruit. One thing that I think has protected me over the years is tea and this is my most important offering.

I avoid soda water because it may have sugar (I want to prevent diabetes) or sugar substitutes (due to links to cancer, worsening of insulin resistance heart disease, stroke). Xylitol in gum as an artificial sweetener prevents tooth decay and Ste-via appears to be safer than the other artificial sweeteners (I use half a small pack in coffee) but I haven't seen it in soda water.

Still, soda water has phosphoric acid that dissolves bones and you slowly pee out calcium, etc. leading to osteoporosis, broken hips, etc. due to low bone density.

Its hard to get over processed food addictions after being brain washed by food industry advertising and their inclusion of addictive sugar, salt etc. to saturate your taste buds with addictive chemicals but its worth the effort to get over the addiction.

Here is a source for tasty recipes we found that we are trying out to keep on our current path of eating healthy foods.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/recipes/

Scroll down to see the recipes and at the end of each page click on load more for 233 such recipes or use the category drop down menus for recipe groups like wraps & burgers, sides and salads, soups and stews, baked and stuffed, etc.

• Like 1

I avoid soda water because it may have sugar (I want to prevent diabetes) or sugar substitutes (due to links to cancer, worsening of insulin resistance heart disease, stroke). Xylitol in gum as an artificial sweetener prevents tooth decay and Ste-via appears to be safer than the other artificial sweeteners (I use half a small pack in coffee) but I haven't seen it in soda water.

Still, soda water has phosphoric acid that dissolves bones and you slowly pee out calcium, etc. leading to osteoporosis, broken hips, etc. due to low bone density.

Its hard to get over processed food addictions after being brain washed by food industry advertising and their inclusion of addictive sugar, salt etc. to saturate your taste buds with addictive chemicals but its worth the effort to get over the addiction.

Here is a source for tasty recipes we found that we are trying out to keep on our current path of eating healthy foods.

Scroll down to see the recipes and at the end of each page click on load more for 233 such recipes or use the category drop down menus for recipe groups like wraps & burgers, sides and salads, soups and stews, baked and stuffed, etc.

I think we have a language problem. I am not a native English speaker so I might be wrong, but I thought:

Sodas: Coke, Fanta and similar.

Soda water: carbonated water or sparkling water. Plain water with CO2. Here mostly sold in small bottles from Singha and Chang. The locals like to mix it with Whiskey. Some European mix it with wine but most people drink it as it is.

No sugar, no phosphoric acid in it.

• Like 1

On a weight control point of view:

Fish is made of 20% fat, so not a weight control food. Compared to banana (5% fat) which is a diet food

On a health point of view: Fish is now associated with PCB, brain shrinkage, and diabetes.

My top 3 would be:

1/ WATER Not a food but necessary to balance all foods dehydration factor: drink and drink and drink: Most food are too dense and deprived of moisture, they dehydrate your body like pollution, stress

2/ Salad: rocket, mache, chicoree, batavia, romaine, these are real gems in term of protection against cancer and heart diseases,diabetes and chronic diseases,they have ZERO fat and will help your body flush toxins.

3/ Watermelons /melons made of 75% of water approximately what the humane body content is. These are your best friends to keep you bowel movement flowing and your body moist. The rest of food dehydrate your body.

At the dinner table, most of us have a plate of food and something to drink. If we eat something dry we take a gulp of liquid.

Fish is probably the healthiest source of meat protein, but it can be associated with food poisoning more frequently than other foods, rarely toxic, but often bacterial especially in hot countries if it is badly stored, and left on the shelf far too long.

Fats are essential to life, and some are in fact very healthy. Zero fat diets could be problematic.

The human body can take a heck of a lot of abuse over many decades, and in fact giving it a bit of a challenge may be beneficial.

I think we have a language problem. I am not a native English speaker so I might be wrong, but I thought:

Soda water: carbonated water or sparkling water. Plain water with CO2. Here mostly sold in small bottles from Singha and Chang. The locals like to mix it with Whiskey. Some European mix it with wine but most people drink it as it is.

There is so much deceptive labeling on the front of food/drinks here in the US that even when reviewing the ingredients on the nutrition label its hard to know what I'm getting or where it was made & rules followed, so I just avoid it. Probably the same or worse elsewhere except maybe Europe.

OK, about this product:

attachicon.gifhersheyhiway.jpg

100 percent cacao

non-alkalized and unsweetened

gluten-free
kosher
Comes in re-sealable cans to help keep cocoa fresh
Dutched cocoa powder has a smoother taste but between 60 and 90 percent of the antioxidants (flavanols) are destroyed in the Dutching process (depending on degree of Dutching).
A more delicious way to get the health benefits of chocolate is to have a very small portion of high quality VERY DARK chocolate. It will still have a little butter ... but I think for many people that small portion would be OK.

A small square or two of Lindt 85% dark chocolate and a glass or red wine in the evening. tastes great plus you get your Polyphenols and Flavanoids thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Current research continues to suggest a whole (unprocessed) plant based food diet is very healthy.

http://health.usnews.com/health-news/blogs/eat-run/2015/01/28/plant-based-diets-a-prescription-for-optimal-health

Makes perfect sense to me, but I don't think it follows that you need to be vegetarian. An alternative to that is using smaller portions of meat such as is classic in Asian cooking.

There is so much deceptive labeling on the front of food/drinks here in the US that even when reviewing the ingredients on the nutrition label its hard to know what I'm getting or where it was made & rules followed, so I just avoid it. Probably the same or worse elsewhere except maybe Europe.

well the soda water here in Thailand, these small bottles are just water.....

For those that consume fish or other foods that may be contaminated with mercury, it wouldn't hurt to eat it in a meal with some cilantro, peanut butter, or other foods listed here:

http://www.naturalnews.com/044339_dietary_mercury_heavy_metals_removal.html#

that have been found to capture that mercury for elimination, but it won't do much good to get rid of inhaled mercury vapors,etc. Further research is underway to determine ways to get rid of cadmium, lead and other contaminants found in some food products.

Another website tests products and identifies those products that contain heavy metal contamination, etc. at: http://www.consumerlab.com/

but subscription is required for some content.

Today when I went to villa (its not too far but not close either) i found some organic flaxseed oil. Quite happy with it as I get most of my good fats from fish oil now I got flaxseed oil too. I was even considering buying coconut oil however for now i prefer flax seed oil.

• Like 1

Nothing particularly new in that, the British - diabetes.co.uk website has been recommending low carbs and many other diets for some time now. I would think the majority of diabetics know what to eat. I certainly do.

that is the argument ... you have a disease that is compounded by consuming processed carbs , so why would you even eat them ? if you are type 2 you could be rid of diabetes by removing the processed carbs ...just makes no sense to me ... these associations also have links to food producers , financial sponsors ....

My doctor recommended I use flax seed rather than the oil for the fiber & because its hard to keep the oil at the proper temperature so it is fresh & healthy from the processor to my table. I find that grinding whole flax seed in a Krups coffee grinder on the fine setting does a great job and gives me the freshest flax seed meal possible.

My doctor recommended I use flax seed rather than the oil for the fiber & because its hard to keep the oil at the proper temperature so it is fresh & healthy from the processor to my table. I find that grinding whole flax seed in a Krups coffee grinder on the fine setting does a great job and gives me the freshest flax seed meal possible.

You are right about that the oil gives you less fiber, but fiber i get enough already. Plus for its better as nothing i find flax seed a lot of trouble to grind all the itme. But I was just happy having found it. In Pattaya i have a friend that can get me organic cold pressed oil that is made in Thaiiland. That would be even better.

...I find that grinding whole flax seed in a Krups coffee grinder on the fine setting does a great job and gives me the freshest flax seed meal possible.

The use of Blender/Grinder/Juicer destroy by producing a way to big surface air can react (oxidation by air) with. It also destroys the taste.

Traditionally prepared, nowadays nearly extinct, Thai food is so famous for its taste bec none of the mentioned "food processors" are in use. Only mortar and pestle.

Flax seed, sesame and alike should be done in one of these:

• Like 1

OK, about this product:

100 percent cacao

gluten-free
kosher
Dutched cocoa powder has a smoother taste but between 60 and 90 percent of the antioxidants (flavanols) are destroyed in the Dutching process (depending on degree of Dutching).
A more delicious way to get the health benefits of chocolate is to have a very small portion of high quality VERY DARK chocolate. It will still have a little butter ... but I think for many people that small portion would be OK.

Recent research indicates (-)-epicatechin flavonols in cocoa powder (published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition) significantly increases insulin sensitivity and glucose dispersal making our cells more efficient at processing glucose, allowing us to recover faster from intense workouts, build muscle more effectively, and limit the gain of unwanted body fat. Kuna Indians in Panama have low blood pressure, & many other health benefits from the home made cocoa drinks. http://www.medsci.org/v04p0053.htm

Other recent studies indicate (-)-epicatechin from cocoa powder improves memory but its hard to get enough of it in most cocoa products without getting too much of some other unhealthy components. Dutch process is too be avoided as it destroys the flavonols.

Edited by ronz28

OK, about this product:

100 percent cacao

gluten-free
kosher

Recent research indicates (-)-epicatechin flavonols in cocoa powder (published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition) significantly increases insulin sensitivity and glucose dispersal making our cells more efficient at processing glucose, allowing us to recover faster from intense workouts, build muscle more effectively, and limit the gain of unwanted body fat. Kuna Indians in Panama have low blood pressure, & many other health benefits from the home made cocoa drinks. http://www.medsci.org/v04p0053.htm

Other recent studies indicate (-)-epicatechin from cocoa powder improves memory but its hard to get enough of it in most cocoa products without getting too much of some other unhealthy components. Dutch process is too be avoided as it destroys the flavonols.

I will seriously look for the other cocoa power JT recommended instead of the Dutch stuff. I hope I can find it in Villa or Big C.