BANGKOK
Sign in to follow this  
Proctor

Teaching at Montfort College Chiang Mai

Hi friends,

Montfort College Chiang Mai wants me to go for an interview next week. This is for a position teaching mathematics in the English department.

I only have experience working in and around Bangkok and have read that typically salaries in Chiang Mai can be much smaller.

Does anyone know how much such a job will pay? And if any of you have taught at Montfort could you please share and let me know how it was/is?

Any light shed on the situation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Nope. I have found in the past it is better to do that after an interview. But I may email them as I'm not willing to travel all the way to CM if it's as low as I think it may be.

you wll be looking at between 32,000-38,000 bht maybe accom included, in bkk it is about 38,000 bht Chaing Mai is expensive so haggle for about 38,000 bht

• Like 1

Nope. I have found in the past it is better to do that after an interview. But I may email them as I'm not willing to travel all the way to CM if it's as low as I think it may be.

After an interview sounds great. facepalm.gif Tell them you've got special skills and ask for 56,999 baht, plus a nice place to stay.

Please make sure that they're not fooling you, before you travel a lot for nothing. Seems that CM has quite a lot of teachers.

Good luck for your new job. wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

you wll be looking at between 32,000-38,000 bht maybe accom included, in bkk it is about 38,000 bht Chaing Mai is expensive so haggle for about 38,000 bht

If you're a tourist, it can be expensive. If not, you'll discover most things are cheaper than Bangkok.

Unlikely you'll be offered as much as 38K, it's possible though if you are well-qualified to teach mathematics.Is it the pratom or matayom campus?

Unbeknown to many foreign teachers is that asking for more than is offered is viewed negatively by most Thai employers. It's viewed as greedy. If they are desperate, they may accept but your card will be marked. Not sticking with a standard pay scale also breeds resentment and future conflict with teachers who earn less.

Edited by Loaded
  • Like 1

Thanks Loaded. They said the interview will be held in the secondary section so I'm guessing the students are probably matayom?

As per my qualifications, I have a Bachelor's degree in commerce, majoring in accounting. Given that, I have done some mathematics at a university level and much prefer the idea of teaching mathematics to teaching English.

I was hoping to get a reply from a TV member that has taught at Montfort in particular before I decide whether to make the trip to Chiang Mai. Appreciate the cultural tips though. Thinking now my only option is to really email and ask for the expected salary before committing to the interview?

I found an old ad when googling Montfort. It was for a mathematics teaching position but only B20 000 per month (to native English speakers). Surely the salaries can't be as low as that?

I was in Thailand for a year in 2012 and I am returning next week. I loved CM and have fond memories of it but I would not be willing to teach there for such a small salary. I have a job lined up in BKK with previous employers for a decent amount. A bit of a pickle. Any more recommendations?

This school had a good reputation when I lived in CM. Ask for 40k and work down :)

From their website for English teacher and 2nd one multiple subjects at a higher minimum.

1. Native English Teacher

Full time Native English Teacher needed immediately at Montfort College Primary. Experienced teacher with TEFL certificate and Bachelor degree required. Must love working with children. Minimum salary 30,000 baht month.

3. English Program Native English Teacher

Full time Native English Speaking Teacher to teach multiple subjects in the English Program (EP) at Montfort College Primary. Experienced teacher with Bachelor degree and TEFL certificate or equivalent certification required. Must love working with children. Minimum salary 35,000 baht month.

http://www.mcp.ac.th/ep/job

• Like 1

As I have worked there for several years I can tell you exactly what they pay.

First of all there are two Montfort Colleges, primary and secondary and each pay different. management is different and the entire atmosphere is different.

If you are in their EP program, the pay is better and classes smaller. Primary you will be teaching more than math though. Most likely math and science for grade 5 or 6, if you are teaching 1-4 you would teach all subjects. So if it is only a math position it might either be bilingual program or at the secondary school.

Salaries are non negotiable and if you do try to negotiate, they will resind their offer and not hire you at all. Be warned.

The salaries are lower there than they were 8 years ago. Around 2010, they reduced salaries and bonuses.

They pay lower for their bilingual program teachers than they do for their EP. Also they pay less if you are not a native speaker. Filipinos get 18k or less depending on their program. The primary school does not hire Filipinos for their EP but Secondary does. Native speakers get 24k a month for the Bilingual program.

The secondary school has a high turnover rate for staff. The primary didn't used to. The majority of the teachers were there for 4-10 years but in the past 2 years everyone left.

For the EP Starting salary was 32,500 first year with a 2,500 baht raise 2nd year but only 500 baht a year anual raise thereafter.

The school is run by a very strict monastic order and they let you know it. Foreign staff are treated better at the primary than secondary but that has been changing in the past few years.

Overall it is a good school and the students in the EP are pleasant. Classes are smaller in the EP primary 20 or so, 50 in their regular program and about 35-40 in the secondary EP.

Parents are tricky because most of them are wealthy and or connected so they can be a little overbearing.

Overall not a bad job but you do need to do things the Thai way. If you are one to speak out or complain don't expect to stay there long. They don't tolerate it. Also be warned there are serious office politics at play there. Again Secondary is worse than primary but both have problems. Which is true for almost every school.

Did I mention that you have to finger scan in and out, hand write your quarterly exams in pencil 2 weeks ahead of time. No computer file of your quarterly exams can exist. Immediate termination. You will also have the summers paid, but will also be required to "volunteer" for their summer camps. At least it is paid on top of your normal salary.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting, if you consider what they charge for tuition, they are a bunch of cheapskates!

I'm a retired Journalist and I "earn" a lot more than that per moth for doing nothing. There is no way a teacher, perhaps with a wife and child could possibly live on that sort of money in Chiang Mai.

Gawd all that for a princely sum of 32,500. Glorious. I reckon there are much better opportunities for math teachers elsewhere.