Teaching at Montfort College Chiang Mai

Proctor

Hi friends,

Montfort College Chiang Mai wants me to go for an interview next week. This is for a position teaching mathematics in the English department.

I only have experience working in and around Bangkok and have read that typically salaries in Chiang Mai can be much smaller.

Does anyone know how much such a job will pay? And if any of you have taught at Montfort could you please share and let me know how it was/is?

Any light shed on the situation would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Jason

Nope. I have found in the past it is better to do that after an interview. But I may email them as I'm not willing to travel all the way to CM if it's as low as I think it may be.

After an interview sounds great. facepalm.gif Tell them you've got special skills and ask for 56,999 baht, plus a nice place to stay.

Please make sure that they're not fooling you, before you travel a lot for nothing. Seems that CM has quite a lot of teachers.

Good luck for your new job. wai2.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

you wll be looking at between 32,000-38,000 bht maybe accom included, in bkk it is about 38,000 bht Chaing Mai is expensive so haggle for about 38,000 bht

If you're a tourist, it can be expensive. If not, you'll discover most things are cheaper than Bangkok.

Unlikely you'll be offered as much as 38K, it's possible though if you are well-qualified to teach mathematics.Is it the pratom or matayom campus?

Unbeknown to many foreign teachers is that asking for more than is offered is viewed negatively by most Thai employers. It's viewed as greedy. If they are desperate, they may accept but your card will be marked. Not sticking with a standard pay scale also breeds resentment and future conflict with teachers who earn less.

Edited by Loaded
  • Like 1

Thanks Loaded. They said the interview will be held in the secondary section so I'm guessing the students are probably matayom?

As per my qualifications, I have a Bachelor's degree in commerce, majoring in accounting. Given that, I have done some mathematics at a university level and much prefer the idea of teaching mathematics to teaching English.

I was hoping to get a reply from a TV member that has taught at Montfort in particular before I decide whether to make the trip to Chiang Mai. Appreciate the cultural tips though. Thinking now my only option is to really email and ask for the expected salary before committing to the interview?

I found an old ad when googling Montfort. It was for a mathematics teaching position but only B20 000 per month (to native English speakers). Surely the salaries can't be as low as that?

I was in Thailand for a year in 2012 and I am returning next week. I loved CM and have fond memories of it but I would not be willing to teach there for such a small salary. I have a job lined up in BKK with previous employers for a decent amount. A bit of a pickle. Any more recommendations?

From their website for English teacher and 2nd one multiple subjects at a higher minimum.

1. Native English Teacher

Full time Native English Teacher needed immediately at Montfort College Primary. Experienced teacher with TEFL certificate and Bachelor degree required. Must love working with children. Minimum salary 30,000 baht month.

3. English Program Native English Teacher

Full time Native English Speaking Teacher to teach multiple subjects in the English Program (EP) at Montfort College Primary. Experienced teacher with Bachelor degree and TEFL certificate or equivalent certification required. Must love working with children. Minimum salary 35,000 baht month.

http://www.mcp.ac.th/ep/job

• Like 1

As I have worked there for several years I can tell you exactly what they pay.

First of all there are two Montfort Colleges, primary and secondary and each pay different. management is different and the entire atmosphere is different.

If you are in their EP program, the pay is better and classes smaller. Primary you will be teaching more than math though. Most likely math and science for grade 5 or 6, if you are teaching 1-4 you would teach all subjects. So if it is only a math position it might either be bilingual program or at the secondary school.

Salaries are non negotiable and if you do try to negotiate, they will resind their offer and not hire you at all. Be warned.

The salaries are lower there than they were 8 years ago. Around 2010, they reduced salaries and bonuses.

They pay lower for their bilingual program teachers than they do for their EP. Also they pay less if you are not a native speaker. Filipinos get 18k or less depending on their program. The primary school does not hire Filipinos for their EP but Secondary does. Native speakers get 24k a month for the Bilingual program.

The secondary school has a high turnover rate for staff. The primary didn't used to. The majority of the teachers were there for 4-10 years but in the past 2 years everyone left.

For the EP Starting salary was 32,500 first year with a 2,500 baht raise 2nd year but only 500 baht a year anual raise thereafter.

The school is run by a very strict monastic order and they let you know it. Foreign staff are treated better at the primary than secondary but that has been changing in the past few years.

Overall it is a good school and the students in the EP are pleasant. Classes are smaller in the EP primary 20 or so, 50 in their regular program and about 35-40 in the secondary EP.

Parents are tricky because most of them are wealthy and or connected so they can be a little overbearing.

Overall not a bad job but you do need to do things the Thai way. If you are one to speak out or complain don't expect to stay there long. They don't tolerate it. Also be warned there are serious office politics at play there. Again Secondary is worse than primary but both have problems. Which is true for almost every school.

Did I mention that you have to finger scan in and out, hand write your quarterly exams in pencil 2 weeks ahead of time. No computer file of your quarterly exams can exist. Immediate termination. You will also have the summers paid, but will also be required to "volunteer" for their summer camps. At least it is paid on top of your normal salary.

Thanks for the info. Very interesting, if you consider what they charge for tuition, they are a bunch of cheapskates!

I'm a retired Journalist and I "earn" a lot more than that per moth for doing nothing. There is no way a teacher, perhaps with a wife and child could possibly live on that sort of money in Chiang Mai.

Gawd all that for a princely sum of 32,500. Glorious. I reckon there are much better opportunities for math teachers elsewhere.

If I were single, I'd definitely look for a school close to a nice beach. I had a great job offer at a school in Prachuap Khiri Khan province, but then decided to stay in lower north east.

I'm very certain that there'll be plenty of job offers in March/ April and May.

I prefer to have my holiday and getting paid without doing summer camps, seminars, or similar. Good luck finding a suitable position.

To be honest though the average salaries in CM are 25-30k. So they actually pay higher than others. But in fareness, all private schools in Thailand charge a lot compared to what they pay staff. A part of the problem is that they have 100 staff for every 10 teachers, that really shouldn't be necessary. My last job in China fees were about 300k baht (equivalent) for the year but the teachers were paid around 120k baht a month (equivalent)whereas here International schools that charge that much tend to pay teachers around 80k and in CM even less. Very few international schools in Thailand pay above 100. The schools that due tend to charge 400-600k baht a year.

The job isn't bad at Montfort. The students especially in the EP are very polite and well mannered. For an older school it has good facilities. It also has a good reputation so if you work for a year or 2 other schools in the area will be more likely to hire you. They are also affiliated through the Monastic order with dozens of other schools and building a good reputation as a teacher there will give opportunites at other schools.

My wife and Thaksin Shinwatra (not related) graduated from Montfort matayom. Class sizes are/were very big. I think for NP programs as many as 50 students. My father-in-law says he sent his daughter there for connections. He didn't really consider the school's academic pedigree. I know teachers at the pratom and matayom schools and they seen happy enough with their jobs.

Your wife must be pretty young as it had been an all boys school. The primary just turned fully code ed last year. So it has been co ed for 6 years. The secondary longer but rough estimate your wife is 35 or under.

But you are right parents are more concerned with the connections and relationships the students make with their classmates than they do with academics.

One student had a birthday party at his house. They had an indoor bowling alley and a swimming pool, over 14 bedrooms. It was one of the largest mansions I have ever seen.

Most of the families are business owners or have respected family names.

They don't have a Thai program anymore though which I think is a tragedy. They offer bilingual which has 45-50 students a class and EP which has around 20-25 students per class.

Personally, I think that the government should make class limits to all private schools. For the high cost of education in this country for even low quality private schools 50 per class is ridiculous.

Your wife must be pretty young as it had been an all boys school. The primary just turned fully code ed last year. So it has been co ed for 6 years. The secondary longer but rough estimate your wife is 35 or under.

But you are right parents are more concerned with the connections and relationships the students make with their classmates than they do with academics.

One student had a birthday party at his house. They had an indoor bowling alley and a swimming pool, over 14 bedrooms. It was one of the largest mansions I have ever seen.

Most of the families are business owners or have respected family names.

They don't have a Thai program anymore though which I think is a tragedy. They offer bilingual which has 45-50 students a class and EP which has around 20-25 students per class.

Personally, I think that the government should make class limits to all private schools. For the high cost of education in this country for even low quality private schools 50 per class is ridiculous.

Incorrect.

According to this, the mattayom school started to admit girls to grade 11 in 1975. Grade 11 students are around 16/17 years old and this was 39 years ago. IE there are 56 year old females who studied there.

http://register.montfort.ac.th/ep/mc_profile.pdf

Stand corrected. I just assumed it was more recent. I knew it was a boys school. The Primary just went coed recently about 8 years ago. I know that Dara was girls only up until 1992 and then went co-ed. I don't recall girls being at Montfort back in 1988 when I came here as a high school student, but it wasn't something that I was paying attention too at the time. I visited a ton of schools.

The north has the lowest pay for teachers. Of course, cost of living is lower, but I think because their are so many "semi-retired" expats there, that they can hire people who just want hobby jobs or a job to get a visa. I have seen some ads for full-time teachers (schools and universities) as low as 18k/month.

To anyone considering teaching in Chiang Mai/The North, only listen to people who have lived and worked here. Forums are full of posters who have never even visited CM but are experts.

It's not difficult to find work in CM if you have connections and/or knowledge. There are 6 universities, 8 vocational colleges and over 50 formal schools - plus language schools. There is competition for jobs but people who are determined to get one, do. Salaries are in the range 23 - 33K at most formal schools. People don't teach here to get rich, they teach here because they love the place. However, 25K provides a fairly decent lifestyle if you avoid western food, whores and too many drunken nights in western pubs.

CM on 25K or Nakhon Nowhere on 35K?

Edited by Loaded
  • Like 2

"Zeichen, what about their lesson plans? An affiliated school had infamous 6 or 7 page plans required for there primary lessons. In an EP, this might add considerably to your work load!"

Lesson plans are required, why wouldn't they be? Any school worth anything requires you to document what you are doing. You have to have your lesson plans in a binder so when someone inspects your classroom they can look at your lesson plan and know what you are teaching. They will also inspect to make sure you are following your lesson plans. This is random and usually oncer per term.

There is a format but teachers have flexibiltiy. You do need them though as any good teacher does.

• 2 weeks later...

I live in CNX on a retirement visa. I used to teach in America. 25K seems to be the new number for NES with BA/BS. It was clearly more 10 years ago. They also manage to get rid of the multi-year survivors. Chiang Mai is great, but hat doesn't mean it's a good place to work. I would take the 35K in KK, UTH, Kolat, or Ubon, before I worked for 25K here. It's really not a teacher friendly place. BTW, there was a teacher round-up this morning..

Edited by SlyAnimal
Removed link to Bangkok Post

I am out of teaching in Thailand now. Thank God. It seems there has been some odd deflationary pressure on teacher's salaries in Thailand. I was earning more than that in the late nineties and over double in the noughties without taking into account inflationary rises in the cost of living. I can scarcely believe the salaries quoted for teaching at Montfort. Scary.

Anyway, don't let me put you off.