Defense fund created for migrant workers accused of Koh Tao murders

webfact

Defense fund created for migrant workers accused of Koh Tao murders
By Coconuts Bangkok

kohtao.suspects_0.jpg

BANGKOK: -- The team behind the legal defense of two migrant laborers accused of murdering two Britons on Koh Tao have created a crowdfunding campaign to support their defense.

Rights activist Andy Hall and defense lawyer Nakhon Chompuchat have created a site for people to contribute to the defense of Zaw Lin and Win Zaw Htun, both 21, who are on trial for the savage murders of David Miller and Hannah Witheridge on the resort island this past September.

The campaign cites the irregularities of the police investigation, reports of torture and abuse in obtaining confessions and other concerns that have led many observers to doubt the integrity of the process and worry about possible scapegoating.

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/13/defense-fund-created-migrant-workers-accused-koh-tao-murders

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-13

• Like 1

........I would think twice before wearing a T-Shirt in their support/defense.....

....some locals might not take lightly to that.....

..after all the 'us' and 'them' sentiments that this incident has evoked.......

I am thinking to be very careful about design. It should be something everyone can wear. This year is the year of the goat. All the Thai's understand what it means. I have met many Thais who fully support this cause and would love to give to help the defence.

I'll be making a donation next week of 10,000 baht.

Also...Greenchair...let me know an estimated time

for the t shirts please.

Keep in mind that some of us are a little

more padding around the mid section.

LOL.

PS. i wear a xx large in most cases.

I'll be making a donation next week of 10,000 baht.

Also...Greenchair...let me know an estimated time

for the t shirts please.

Keep in mind that some of us are a little

more padding around the mid section.

LOL.

PS. i wear a xx large in most cases.

Oh bless your little knees.

One I understand is many people who support the b2 are also low income earners.

Some think."oh,a thousand is not much, it will not make a difference ". The could not be further from the truth. 100 people donating 1,000 baht rounds up to a cool 100,000 baht. Every baht makes a difference. 10,000 baht can pay 3 lawyers tickets to interview the boys. Or many meals for the team to do their work. None of us can make a difference alone. But together we are a force to be reckoned with ????

T shirts will be out in march.

With many large option available for the cuddly guys ?

• Like 1

All you need do is get the RTP Glee Club to make a few posts and the traffic will rocket, come on guys!!

Perhaps if we put up a few of the running man pics and start investigating them. The fab 4 be tag teaming over here.

We need to be respectful. I don't think we are allowed to post links to y care site. But I think we can discuss the needs of the boys and different ways to get money for that. Without actually asking for money. ??

• Like 1

In my opinion I could not state hand on heart and say the Burmese suspects are 100% innocent although I think they are, but I do know the RTP investigation has been a farce with allegations of cover up, planting evidence, dubious DNA testing and of course the allegations of torture to extract confessions.

The least they deserve is a fair trial and currently it looks like thats just not going to happen. The defense need cash to carry on their good work, Andy Hall is spearheading this fund and if you care for a fair trial, justice, closure for the victims, families and suspects then we should all give whatever we can spare.

post-223227-0-90006400-1421242111_thumb.

Edited by thailandchilli
  • Like 1

In my opinion I could not state hand on heart and say the Burmese suspects are 100% innocent although I think they are, but I do know the RTP investigation has been a farce with allegations of cover up, planting evidence, dubious DNA testing and of course the allegations of torture to extract confessions.

The least they deserve is a fair trial and currently it looks like thats just not going to happen. The defense need cash to carry on their good work, Andy Hall is spearheading this fund and if you care for a fair trial, justice, closure for the victims, families and suspects then we should all give whatever we can spare.

it's the same site the coconuts article links to... heck, maybe just repost it on your fb or twitter? it would be great to help the defense team!

Without funding for a thorough investigation. We will never know the truth. There will not be a day that goes by that I do not wonder about these boys and what happened. It may be that they lose. But when I go to sleep, I want to say to myself, there was nothing more I could do.

post-213129-0-21985000-1421278087_thumb.

Edited by greenchair

I applied on fiverr.com to get help to design my tshirt. I want to create a tshirt to help raise money for the defense of the boys. I put in my credit card number. Then I got a note from PayPal saying I will be deducted 5.50 for the illustration. But I didn't get to order anything or tell them what I wanted. I am committed to getting these shirts as I do think it will help. I have many friends who will buy them. I will fund it myself. I have credit card. Can someone please help me to apply for my design on a website. When I tap in my email it keeps saying it is wrong. I am in Bkk. If someone could meet me. I would be grateful. ????

What is being done for the families of the deceased (flights,hotels, legal representation) & what reception can an NGO fronted by their fellow countrymen actively assisting the accused expect from them @ court?

Edited by evadgib
  • Like 1

What is being done for the families of the deceased (flights,hotels, legal representation) & what reception can an NGO fronted by their fellow countrymen actively assisting the accused expect from them @ court?

The families have a fully paid for prosecution team to assist them. They would be more than welcome in my opinion to reach out to people for assistance for flights. I certainly would support them if they wanted to find out the truth. The family very clearly have said they wish to be left alone to grieve for their children and get on with their lives. I respect that. Asking them to fight for 2 boys who are believed to be innocent, and have their families tragedy relived over and over again would be unbearable. They have said they would like to see a fair trial to bring the true criminals to trial. A fair trial requires fair representation to all concerned. Currently it is very one sided with all the resources in the prosecution hands. This defense fund is an effort to balance the scales a bit. I am sure if these boys are innocent, the families would not want them to spend their lives in jail. The same as in the event it is proven guilty the people who support a fair trial would not want to see them set free. Leave the families to grieve.

• Like 1