Central Festival Phuket underpass closed until 8pm tonight, Jan 13

webfact

Central Festival Phuket underpass closed until 8pm tonight
Tanyaluk Sakoot

1421128031_1-org.jpg
Base map Google Maps.

PHUKET: -- Road re-surfacing work inside the new Central Festival underpass will mean that the underpass will be closed to all traffic until 8pm tonight.

Narong Horee, Project Manager of Italian- Thai development told The Phuket News, “We have had to close the underpass for re-surfacing work. The work actually started yesterday.”

“However, people travelling northbound can use the lane to the left of the underpass, from Vichit Songkram School and past Central Festival, instead of going through the underpass.

“It is only the road re-surfacing work being carried out. Other work on the underpass will be carried out at night because it creates too much dust,” he said.

Those travelling south should turn left off the bypass road into Eakvanit Darasamud Rd (next to Worldlennium), and follow the road behind Central Festival East (Homeworks), and down past Surakul Stadium, coming out onto Vichit Songkram Road.

See map for the temporary routes.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/central-festival-phuket-underpass-closed-until-8pm-tonight-50526.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2015-01-13

• 2 weeks later...

Heading south through the underpass on Monday around 13/1400 there was some movable scaffolding set up in the north bound lane (closed), there was 3 or 4 big chunks of concrete that had fallen out of the ceiling laying on the road, not sure if they'd fallen or been pried of by the workers but they'd certainly do some nasty damage to a car roof and probably badly injure a bike rider.

So far the finishing work on the underpass looks really shoddy. At this rate of progress it will still be some time before it is fully functional. It is supposed to be 3 lanes but IMO that would be quite tight. Actually it makes sense to have a 3rd lane only for emergency use. Sidecarts should be banned from the underpass as they are generally too slow.

• Like 1

So far the finishing work on the underpass looks really shoddy. At this rate of progress it will still be some time before it is fully functional. It is supposed to be 3 lanes but IMO that would be quite tight. Actually it makes sense to have a 3rd lane only for emergency use. Sidecarts should be banned from the underpass as they are generally too slow.

I saw that the roads out side the underpass are still bumpy after laying new asphalt and the wall outside looks really shoddy.

Now closed altogether until February 1st.

I hope they properly clean up the place when this is finished but it wouldn't surprise me to see rusty cables and disused machinery sitting around for the next few years.

I also hope the contractors are heavily fined for missing the deadline which I believe was October or November last year.

Italian Thai construction company must be the biggest oxymoron in history. It's like advertising yourself as the central bank of nigeria. Or Congo lawyers and associates? Who in their right mind would trust an Italian Thai partnership? Both nationalities aren't well known for outstanding work ethic