Ministry of Foreign Affairs proposes Multiple Visa, 1 Year 3000 thb - Sunbelt Asia

I'd be pissed if this came to pass and had bought a TE visa.

Yes, exactly. If you could do back-to-back one-year 3000 baht "multiple visas" then what's the point of the TE? Surely the priority handling at Swampy and limo rides thru Bangkok won't make up the difference.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I would not be holding my breath waiting for it to happen. I have seen nothing in the news about it.

The devil may be in the details. Also what exactly do they mean by multiple entry?

It might mean like a multiple entry business visa , you have to leave every 90 days.

There's a couple from Denmark staying for part of the winter in the house next door to me. They came for 3 months to escape the cold back home. They've been coming here every year for about 10 years now.

Why three months ? Because that's the limit without needing to do unnecessary and perhaps costly travel on visa runs to other countries. So it's simple, they come for three months then go back home.

These people are here only to escape the winter so a 6 months visa would suit them perfectly and who knows, maybe next year they will stay for 4 months or even a little longer.

The retirement extension is designed with them in mind. Easy and cheap to obtain; the total cost per year (excluding any fee their consulate may make for confirmation of income) should not exceed 3000B, including one re-entry permit.

Maybe you should suggest it to them?

• Like 1

Yes, exactly. If you could do back-to-back one-year 3000 baht "multiple visas" then what's the point of the TE? Surely the priority handling at Swampy and limo rides thru Bangkok won't make up the difference.

I can see no way you could compare the two.

Saying it is a multiple entry visa would mean doing border runs every 90 or 60 days.

A PE visa gives a one year entry.

• Like 1

This is a very good idea and hope will happens. not only convenient for westerners that come here in Winter. China, Korea and Japan have very cold winters too, and Thailand may be a good Winter vacation or retirement destination for those countries. I believe that ASEAN exchanges will make Thailand to review many immigration rules in the future.

Edited by umbanda
  • Like 2

If true, this seems to be aimed at frequent visitors rather than your average package tourist or wannabe resident.

Whether this equates in any way to TE depends on being able to spend the whole year here without having to leave; or, whether this proposed change is simply an extension to the existing tenability dates and introduction of multi entry, with the same limits each entry to, say, 60 or 90 days like a current tourist or non-imm visa does.

Don't forget about the TE luggage tags either. Not having them makes me insanely jealous.

Edited by dbrenn

I would not be holding my breath waiting for it to happen. I have seen nothing in the news about it.

The devil may be in the details. Also what exactly do they mean by multiple entry?

Monday night's 7pm English language Radio Thailand news on Met 107 FM had this proposal as one of their Headline stories.

So with this in mind I believe that it could very well happen soon, otherwise it would not have been on the news.

What I do wonder is how long is each stay, 6 months or 12 months? Or is that just the validity and in fact each stay is only 90 days? There might have to be some sort of amendment to Thai immigration rules in order to allow a stay of more than 90 days at a time without either a visa run or address report, although neither of this was mentioned in the news report.

• Like 1

So with this in mind I believe that it could very well happen soon, otherwise it would not have been on the news.

Original article mentioned something happening before the Chinese New Year (is that an indicator they're targeting it at the Chinese, Singaporeans?), so what will be should become clearer over the next month & a bit

It might bring more people to Thailand but for those who come anyway perhaps they will stay longer.

There's a couple from Denmark staying for part of the winter in the house next door to me. They came for 3 months to escape the cold back home. They've been coming here every year for about 10 years now.

Why three months ? Because that's the limit without needing to do unnecessary and perhaps costly travel on visa runs to other countries. So it's simple, they come for three months then go back home.

These people are here only to escape the winter so a 6 months visa would suit them perfectly and who knows, maybe next year they will stay for 4 months or even a little longer. Multiply that by 100's of thousands of people and it could be the difference between a tourist season boom or bust affecting the entire industry.

One thing's for sure - they will never be doing any visa runs so unless this is changed the limit to their stay will always be three months maximum and I know they don't like to go to immigration after 60 days looking for a 30 day extension. Nobody wants to plan to visit government offices looking for visa extensions during their long winter holidays in their retirement.

My mother who's here right now came for two months this winter. She won't ever do a visa run or go to immigration to do an extension, the tourist visa is valid for 2 months so she came for 2 months.

This proposed change is welcome and will affect a lot of people, especially older people of my mothers generation who in my experience tend to plan carefully, stick to the rules by the letter and take no risks at all.

My mum didn't like the sound of arriving on a visa without the visa validity covering the entire period of travel, I know she held off on getting it until just before she came for this very reason despite the fact that I told her it doesn't matter and you can enter on the last day of validity.

Different generations have very different outlooks and a lot of the winter tourists are retirees from my mothers generation.

They could get a double entry Tourist visa before leaving Denmark .After 3 months they would then just need to do a days border run to MaiSai or similar ,and then they could stay another 3 months .

These people are here only to escape the winter so a 6 months visa would suit them perfectly and who knows, maybe next year they will stay for 4 months or even a little longer.

The retirement extension is designed with them in mind. Easy and cheap to obtain; the total cost per year (excluding any fee their consulate may make for confirmation of income) should not exceed 3000B, including one re-entry permit.

Maybe you should suggest it to them?

While you make a good point KittenKong, immigration at many offices now are not accepting the embassies confirmation of income letter. Making it difficult for those folks who chose not to bring in 800k Baht. ukrules makes a very good point. It could bring in much more tourist revenue over the long run.

I not understand this well. But could this not mean if you have a visa, lets even say for 3 month, it is still valid if you, let's say a 2 week trip to Birma? Because let's say you stay on whole even 3 months in Thailand, but after a week you go out of the country then you need 2 visas, even if you not needed the first to begin with as the immigration officer would use it, on your first, shorter entry. Makes much sense then, to use that visa for multiple entries in that 3 or 6 month period.

• Like 2

If it ever happens then surely it will encourage more tourists to stay longer and spend more trillions of bahts on accommodation and on eating out in Thailand, anything is better than having to continually bother with Visas nonstop for the privilege of staying in Thailand, once a year and job done.

• Like 2

If true, this seems to be aimed at frequent visitors rather than your average package tourist or wannabe resident.

Whether this equates in any way to TE depends on being able to spend the whole year here without having to leave; or, whether this proposed change is simply an extension to the existing tenability dates and introduction of multi entry, with the same limits each entry to, say, 60 or 90 days like a current tourist or non-imm visa does.

Don't forget about the TE luggage tags either. Not having them makes me insanely jealous.

I think that's probably right, i.e. the MoF has proposed something to make life easier for frequent visitors from countries like China that don't qualify for transit visas or visas on arrival. It doesn't sound like it's intended for long stay visitors. There are already 12 month visas and extensions for them. If it went any further, you can be sure there would be some restriction on how long you can stay per visit. The key word is "multi-entry" not "long stay".

Whats their game?

For ages they hunt down people who have not concisely adhered to the rules.

Then they suggest a less stringent visa could be available (subject to legislation).

My opinion like many on here is it won't happen

For instance just think how many staff they could lose by making things easier like forgetting about the stupid 90 day address report. Hopefully they would be the real pricks.

Doubt that would be a good thing for the career Immo officer.

Some fool is talking out his hot air port.

Its all about the money, just to repeat myself.