Ministry of Foreign Affairs proposes Multiple Visa, 1 Year 3000 thb - Sunbelt Asia

Re your comment above, it so happened that my wife msgd me this morning from work asking if I knew that, as one of her work colleagues had told her, Thai Immigration at Chaengwattana in BKK was now open on Saturday mornings.

I replied to her that AFAIK, CW Immigration isn't open on Saturdays and never has been, as best as I recall. Then I asked the important question... Why was my Thai wife asking me about Thai Immigration, since I have no business pending with them anytime soon.

And she replied, because she has plans upcoming to renew her Thai passport. To which I answered, Honey, Immigration is Immigration for farangs, and passports are an entirely different thing handled by a different department (MFA) in a different building, albeit also at Chaengwattana... To which she replied... Ohh!!! Didn't know that...

Point of the tale is... ordinary Thais' understanding of anything to do with their government or government processes seems to often be, at best, marginal.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

Re your comment above, it so happened that my wife msgd me this morning from work asking if I knew that, as one of her work colleagues had told her, Thai Immigration at Chaengwattana in BKK was now open on Saturday mornings.

I replied to her that AFAIK, CW Immigration isn't open on Saturdays and never has been, as best as I recall. Then I asked the important question... Why was my Thai wife asking me about Thai Immigration, since I have no business pending with them anytime soon.

And she replied, because she has plans upcoming to renew her Thai passport. To which I answered, Honey, Immigration is Immigration for farangs, and passports are an entirely different thing handled by a different department (MFA) in a different building, albeit also at Chaengwattana... To which she replied... Ohh!!! Didn't know that...

Point of the tale is... ordinary Thais' understanding of anything to do with their government or government processes seems to often be, at best, marginal.

I accept what you are trying to say but that is not the case. My wife has worked in several of the Asian countries and up until a few months back was financial director for a European company.

She has a very good understanding of financial and political affairs.

No doubt all will be revealed in the course of time.

• 3 weeks later...

If the idea of such a visa was true, it would signal a very positive change in the attitude towards visitors. A great many aficionados of Thailand would be delighted, it would greatly encourage more people to visit, giving tourist numbers a much needed boost. But sadly, it is for these reasons that probably the idea was never being considered and if it was, would certainly be rejected.

My question is whether this proposed visa could be renewed indefinitely by doing visa runs? Since it's not a "retirement visa" one might be allowed to work while here. Money will probably make the decision.

My question is whether this proposed visa could be renewed indefinitely by doing visa runs? Since it's not a "retirement visa" one might be allowed to work while here. Money will probably make the decision.

You can be reassured, it's not happening.

• Like 1

I would not be holding my breath waiting for it to happen. I have seen nothing in the news about it.

The devil may be in the details. Also what exactly do they mean by multiple entry?

I look forward to see this happen....

I just hope it's not a mirage like all "new imgration laws"...

just : let it happen!

Way I see Yes The TE is nice if you want to spend that kind of money But if this online reporting comes about then Retirement extension becomes the best option at cheaper price thus giving you more cash to pay for a limo ride if that floats your boat. I find airport link line to my liking semi quick to airport or 90 baht and there in 15 minutes without any stops. As far as tags who cares. It is like flying business class verses First class you arrive at the same time But in business you have several thousand more dollars in your pocket.

Edited by Strangebrew

• 2 weeks later...

Way I see Yes The TE is nice if you want to spend that kind of money But if this online reporting comes about then Retirement extension becomes the best option at cheaper price thus giving you more cash to pay for a limo ride if that floats your boat. I find airport link line to my liking semi quick to airport or 90 baht and there in 15 minutes without any stops. As far as tags who cares. It is like flying business class verses First class you arrive at the same time But in business you have several thousand more dollars in your pocket.

Personally I would prefer the business class vs economy class comparison. The retirement option being economy. The Thailand Elite option being business class because, even with TE, there is still room for improvement.

The difference between the Thailand Elite way and the retirement way is that with the retirement way you are still among a huge crowd and have to queue (as in economy class). And you have to queue every year, with the needed paperwork and requirements, the immigration questioning, etc...

Of course, you end up with some extra money in your pocket, in the case this is of some importance to you.

The Thailand Elite way is ok for 5 years, no queue, no questions, some convenient perks, ... but it comes at a price, indeed.

The choice is yours...

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Personally I would prefer the business class vs economy class comparison. The retirement option being economy. The Thailand Elite option being business class because, even with TE, there is still room for improvement.

The difference between the Thailand Elite way and the retirement way is that with the retirement way you are still among a huge crowd and have to queue (as in economy class). And you have to queue every year, with the needed paperwork and requirements, the immigration questioning, etc...

Of course, you end up with some extra money in your pocket, in the case this is of some importance to you.

The Thailand Elite way is ok for 5 years, no queue, no questions, some convenient perks, ... but it comes at a price, indeed.

The choice is yours...

If I understand clearly these different options of "long stay" visa, the options based on your specific situation are whatever type "O" visa (either marriage, child, retired...) which such visa's are for maximum 1 year and will required certains funds between 400k or 800k for the yearly extensions. Means, basically, you need to secure those amounts, 400k or 800k and get it stuck in an account all time to present bank statment to ensure an eventual new extension (As I understand that the funds must in the bank xx months before and after the application).

While choosing the option of TE require you to have 1 time 500k and you are clear for 5 years, even if the bank account balance remain a zero during these 5 years ( imaginary of course). Am I correct for the principle or I missed something?

Perhaps they will require a mandatory absence period from Thailand, when the new tourist visa expires.

I seem to remember India applied a 2 month re-entry restriction.

They will not require anything. No changes will be made.

While choosing the option of TE require you to have 1 time 500k and you are clear for 5 years, even if the bank account balance remain a zero during these 5 years ( imaginary of course). Am I correct for the principle or I missed something?

This is correct, you just pay the fee and there are no additional requirements at all, you can stay for 5 years without leaving if you want to.

I would not be holding my breath waiting for it to happen. I have seen nothing in the news about it.

The devil may be in the details. Also what exactly do they mean by multiple entry?

-------------------

Exactly Joe...................we need to know what the "small print" says before we jump at the deal..

Right now I am Penang where I just got a single entry TR tourist visa.

Here's another "rumor" for the pot.

While was applying for my tourist visa in Penang there was an Australian guy who was asking them about a Non O multi entry retirement visa.

He was right in front of me in the queue, and the answer they gave him regarding a 1year Non O multi entry visa based on retirement was 5000 Baht

I don't know the details but as I said he was directly I front of me when he asked them so I heard the answer clearly.

I don't think that is entirely them "playing by the rules", but then I don't know the "details" of that either.

He was right in front of me in the queue, and the answer they gave him regarding a 1year Non O multi entry visa based on retirement was 5000 Baht

That is the normal fee for such a visa, available to those having the requirements.

This is correct, you just pay the fee and there are no additional requirements at all, you can stay for 5 years without leaving if you want to.

-------------------------

The "elite" card is not a visa but a private thing and although right now it is allowed.....there is no certainty it will still be around if the government changes between now and 5 years from now.

With Thailand's history in the last 10 or so years you just can't be certain.

If you have a spare 500K to toss on the Craps table...... just throw your money down there. and grab the dice.

You might get lucky or you might just roll Craps... you can't really be sure.

People like me on a retirement pension monthly just can't throw wage 500K Thai Baht on one roll of the dice.

Edited by IMA_FARANG

-------------------------

The "elite" card is not a visa but a private thing and although right now it is allowed.....there is no certainty it will still be around if the government changes between now and 5 years from now.

With Thailand's history in the last 10 or so years you just can't be certain.

If you have a spare 500K to toss on the Craps table...... just throw your money down there. and grab the dice.

You might get lucky or you might just roll Craps... you can't really be sure.

People like me on a retirement pension monthly just can't throw wage 500K Thai Baht on one roll of the dice.

Yes, I understand that. It's a privilege card that allow you to get 5 years visa.

I also agree with you that nothing is sure about changes in the coming years with government changes but we can't be sure about nothing in this case. If I choose to block hundreds tousands of bahts in Thai account, how can i be sure that the political situation or whatever might one day confisticate your funds in the bank or things like this?

of course, the can be also be on positve side and decide one day that as long as...you are married, or a have a child or retired, no more financial evidence wiĺl be required or at least this need of having this funds in the bank if they can't show a regular income.It goes the same as for properties in Thailand, if you want to own a piece of land with a house on it, as foreigner, even having a Thai wife or kid, what guaranty you have that one day, due to change of laws, your initial funds that you put to acquire the property will not be all gone?

Looking at a Thailand history for the last 10 years as you said, what have been changes for those who took the risk of getting these elite visa's? And what major changes for those who choose the other way? I am just talking about the visa itself, no the privileges coming with the cards such limousine, golf or whatever?

I have been in Thailand since 1991 on different type of visa's. I never heard about this Elite plans before. Actually I never investigated much before on the visa options.

Please also understand that i am not here trying to say that the option you choose is not a good option and the Elite card is the way to go. I am just trying understand and compare.