Ministry of Foreign Affairs proposes Multiple Visa, 1 Year 3000 thb - Sunbelt Asia

I'd be pissed if this came to pass and had bought a TE visa.

Yes, exactly. If you could do back-to-back one-year 3000 baht "multiple visas" then what's the point of the TE? Surely the priority handling at Swampy and limo rides thru Bangkok won't make up the difference.

I can see no way you could compare the two.

Saying it is a multiple entry visa would mean doing border runs every 90 or 60 days.

A PE visa gives a one year entry.

My first thought was of the Elite Visa. I would feel a little cheated if I purchased one.

A one year visa =฿3000 +4 border runs x 5 years. vs

Elite Card =฿500000, no border runs & a taxi service from the airport + few extras.

It takes away extensions, visa applications, expense & aggro which I believe was the purchase point of the Elite for some.

I would compare the two.

But I don't ever see a 1 year visa like I've stated ever seeing the light of day. Far too good.

Get rid of 90-day reporting. Complete waste of a day.

I'd for sure too want to get rid of it, but, the Thai Immigration Police wants to keep track of you, meaning have your present address in Thailand, and, alas, I doubt it very much all the Farangs staying here, especially the ones the Police would like to keep a discrete eye on, would systematically go to the Immigration Office to have any/every change of address being registered there. So, IMO, the 90-day reporting will remain, because of some of us, Farangs', wrong attitude, not because the Thais are great fans of paperwork (what they surely are though)...

Last year one of the ministers proposed to start microchipping the foreigners, I guess they will do away with the 90 day report once that begins

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/thailand-tourists-to-electronically-tagged-4348741

Edited by Time Traveller

I think the semantics of the word "tourist" screws it up for everybody. I checked several dictionaries, and tourist is usually defined simply as "someone traveling for pleasure." I does sort of imply someone who is "just passing through" for a short time (Days? A couple of weeks? A few months?) and not for employment or business. But it doesn't say that explicitly. And what about the author writing a travel guide while she or she is snorkeling a shagging on Samui?

OK, so maybe Thailand and other countries would prefer to have a bunch of rich visitors who stay for a short while, spend lots of money, go home, and do not leave much of a "footprint" on the country or the culture. Fair enough.

But there is this other category, call it "long-stay visitor," not a permanent resident, but not exactly a "tourist" in the usual sense. Pretty much the same thing as "retired" but without regard to age. Unfortunately, while retired are welcomed (more or less), Thailand has always had an issue with long-stay visitors. For whatever reason or reasons, long-stay visitors have been regarded as undesirable, suspicious and if not banned or restricted or inconvenienced in some way, likely to have a negative impact on the country and on the culture.

Go figure.

• Like 1

I'd be pissed if this came to pass and had bought a TE visa.

why? Those visas will stil be valid.

But, you know, 497,000 Baht wouldn't be in bank anymore. That is the reason why, as others have pointed out, this will not fly.

While you make a good point KittenKong, immigration at many offices now are not accepting the embassies confirmation of income letter. Making it difficult for those folks who chose not to bring in 800k Baht. ukrules makes a very good point. It could bring in much more tourist revenue over the long run.

I wasn't knocking the idea of a 6 month visa at all; I'm sure it would suit many people if ever they introduce it.

I just wanted to point out that these Danes do have another option that is already in place and working.

There is no problem with consulate letters at Jomtien that I am aware of, but I do understand that Jomtien is one of the easiest offices to deal with.

Don't believe a word of this. It's a coin into a wishing well. Besides, what would be the point of a work visa, an education visa, or even a retirement visa? I see complication written all over this over zealous idea. My bet is someone is trying to impress their boss. This too will fade to black.

I hope they make it happen , the sooner the better.

I am always having problems because I am working offshore , 42 days on , 42 off. Not married but staying with my girlfriend.

Can " thaivisa " not contact the people in the government or immigration and ask for a visa for offshore workers , I am sure we are with a lot in Thailand. Something specially for people like us , working 5 or 6 weeks and stay in Thailand for 5 or 6 weeks.

I am doing this sometimes with a tourist visa or coming in without visa ( good for 30 days ) and after that " before " visa run for 2 weeks. Is it correct that I can ask in immigration for extra 30 days instead of the normal 7 days before ?

Thanks

Take care to you all.

Personal thought?

Without having heard the report on the news, I think a lot of people are reading this wrong. (Obviously could be very wrong and sort of hope I am)

With the current clampdown on illegal working (granted, labour office concern), clampdown on ED visas (speak/read/write tests) and the clearing of undesirables (forecasted bans for overstays), why would they introduce a long-term multiple entry visa? This would clash with all the other visas that are floating about, at a lesser price.

Has anyone thought that they may be offering multi entry on a normal 60 day tourist visa? This would save the actual 'tourist' the hassle of getting re-entry permits if they wish to travel to adjoining countries as they have to do now. They already have the option of multi entry for extension of stays, why not for the ordinary tourist visa?

Out of the whole thread, to me the above is the only thing that would make sense.

Just sayin'...............................wink.png

• Like 1

There's a couple from Denmark staying for part of the winter in the house next door to me. They came for 3 months to escape the cold back home. They've been coming here every year for about 10 years now.

Why three months ? Because that's the limit without needing to do unnecessary and perhaps costly travel on visa runs to other countries. So it's simple, they come for three months then go back home.

These people are here only to escape the winter so a 6 months visa would suit them perfectly and who knows, maybe next year they will stay for 4 months or even a little longer.

The retirement extension is designed with them in mind. Easy and cheap to obtain; the total cost per year (excluding any fee their consulate may make for confirmation of income) should not exceed 3000B, including one re-entry permit.

Maybe you should suggest it to them?

While you make a good point KittenKong, immigration at many offices now are not accepting the embassies confirmation of income letter. Making it difficult for those folks who chose not to bring in 800k Baht. ukrules makes a very good point. It could bring in much more tourist revenue over the long run.

That's the first time i have heard that one, i did my extension last month and the embassy confirmation was accepted. In Isaan.

I am getting lost here with these posts. Just what is a TE and a PE visa? I am quite happy with my Retirement visa and long may it stay as it is. I just wish they would let me report every 90 days at my local cop station instead of having to travel miles and wait hours at some busy immigration office.

• Like 1

It might bring more people to Thailand but for those who come anyway perhaps they will stay longer.

There's a couple from Denmark staying for part of the winter in the house next door to me. They came for 3 months to escape the cold back home. They've been coming here every year for about 10 years now.

Why three months ? Because that's the limit without needing to do unnecessary and perhaps costly travel on visa runs to other countries. So it's simple, they come for three months then go back home.

These people are here only to escape the winter so a 6 months visa would suit them perfectly and who knows, maybe next year they will stay for 4 months or even a little longer. Multiply that by 100's of thousands of people and it could be the difference between a tourist season boom or bust affecting the entire industry.

One thing's for sure - they will never be doing any visa runs so unless this is changed the limit to their stay will always be three months maximum and I know they don't like to go to immigration after 60 days looking for a 30 day extension. Nobody wants to plan to visit government offices looking for visa extensions during their long winter holidays in their retirement.

My mother who's here right now came for two months this winter. She won't ever do a visa run or go to immigration to do an extension, the tourist visa is valid for 2 months so she came for 2 months.

This proposed change is welcome and will affect a lot of people, especially older people of my mothers generation who in my experience tend to plan carefully, stick to the rules by the letter and take no risks at all.

My mum didn't like the sound of arriving on a visa without the visa validity covering the entire period of travel, I know she held off on getting it until just before she came for this very reason despite the fact that I told her it doesn't matter and you can enter on the last day of validity.

Different generations have very different outlooks and a lot of the winter tourists are retirees from my mothers generation.

Ooooh, sounds great.

Though I'm married to a Thai, I choose a retirement extension cos it's simpler but ties up 800Kb!

We are here for about 6 months, in the winter here - to escape the winter in South East Spain LOL.

How I would love a 6 month multiple entry visa for 2,000b.

However, if it sounds too good to be true - it probably is.....

If you are married to a That you only need 400k

I read this yesterday, and didn't understand why TV still hadn't reported on it this afternoon. Finally it's here, otherwise I would have planted it here myself.

This 6 month arrangement is what is usually the maximum period of time one can stay in many western countries, and it seems this has finally been understood to be a reasonable plan by the Thai authorities. It would be perfect for many who are less than pleased with the harsh weather conditions during winter, and would perhaps allow for a migrating pattern similar to that of migrating birds.

It might bring more people to Thailand but for those who come anyway perhaps they will stay longer.

These people are here only to escape the winter so a 6 months visa would suit them perfectly and who knows, maybe next year they will stay for 4 months or even a little longer. Multiply that by 100's of thousands of people and it could be the difference between a tourist season boom or bust affecting the entire industry.

One thing's for sure - they will never be doing any visa runs so unless this is changed the limit to their stay will always be three months maximum and I know they don't like to go to immigration after 60 days looking for a 30 day extension. Nobody wants to plan to visit government offices looking for visa extensions during their long winter holidays in their retirement.

My mother who's here right now came for two months this winter. She won't ever do a visa run or go to immigration to do an extension, the tourist visa is valid for 2 months so she came for 2 months.

This proposed change is welcome and will affect a lot of people, especially older people of my mothers generation who in my experience tend to plan carefully, stick to the rules by the letter and take no risks at all.

My mum didn't like the sound of arriving on a visa without the visa validity covering the entire period of travel, I know she held off on getting it until just before she came for this very reason despite the fact that I told her it doesn't matter and you can enter on the last day of validity.

Different generations have very different outlooks and a lot of the winter tourists are retirees from my mothers generation.

. Same same,I will buy a year ,but maybe stay 5 or 6 months it's the hassle that makes you leave earlier ,so to the Thai Goverment ,it's a good move...Nick

Just talking to three guys who are here on retiremeny visas. They were telling me that many in their group of friends are planning to move to Cambodia and a few to Viet Nam. After some period of time, one just gets sick and tired jumping through all the hoops Thai Immigration puts us through, and it just is not worth it anymore.

thinking the same

with all they do about controling the people working with no visa , and all the latest change in visa i doubt it

I doubt it too, but maybe this way they can spend more time in control at location, then spend hours in paperwork and visa reporting ques.

with the heavy paperwork rules now, they maybe not keep the bad ones out, and annoying/preventing to stay many good ones

I would not be holding my breath waiting for it to happen. I have seen nothing in the news about it.

The devil may be in the details. Also what exactly do they mean by multiple entry?

Nothing said about having seasoned 800k in the bank.If not,are all us old codgers gunna change visas.

• Like 1