Ministry of Foreign Affairs proposes Multiple Visa, 1 Year 3000 thb - Sunbelt Asia

You can see how desperate for humor I am when I say I chuckle at the recurrent personal stories of tourists and visitors in the context of "how important they are" to Thailand's economy. Please, folks, look at the stats re tourism's part of the whole economy.... good for a chuckle anyway.

Get it thru your foreigner-type heads...... Thailand DOES NOT CARE about foreigners except as they get some bad press occasionally.

Yes such posts do get tiresome. Just like the one's saying Thailand would collapse without all the sexpats/sex-tourists. Thailand has a well diversified economy in which tourism is an important, but not essential, part.

Although that's true for a country that could rely on other forms of income, Thailand seems to be highly obsessed with tourism, or should I say mass, mass, mass tourism and not a single day goes past without some sort of mention about how to improve tourist numbers, how the number of Russians/Chinese etc. is falling and something needs to be done about it, how Thailand plans to get more Kazakh/Bhutanese/Tuvaluan tourists into the country and lots of other nonsense.

However, tourism does account for roughly 10% of GDP and according to some sources as much as 17-20% including indirect sources. So it is important, but it's far from being the most important contributor to the country's GDP, unlike what many foreigners, particularly those that haven't even been to Thailand assume.

It should be possible, and will give it a try in Phang Nga tomorrow. Will keep you posted.

Well, back from a nice day on the road. I have been to Phang Nga Immigration, and it was a disappointing, but pleasant visit. I arrived at about 10.30 in the morning, there were three officers and their boss at the office. No client around, they asked me what they can do for me. I asked to do my retirement extension, and after a look through my documents I was told that to their regret they could not do anything for me. It is a official rule, that you have to apply at the Imm. office of your changwat, where you are living. I was offered a house for rent in Phang Nga, but I politely declined.

After a nice chat about Immigration's work, and a discussion of my last decades in Thailand I left the office with a good feeling about the staff there, and some kind of bad feeling about having to do the extension in Phuket.

After all, it was an enjoyable day, did some shopping, sightseeing, and I had the joy to experience normal way of driving as soon as I had passed the airport.

So now to bed and tomorrow morning select a good book for entertainment while spending hours of frustrating waiting at the office in Phuket City.

And by the way, the office in Phang Nga is a beautiful setting in something almost like a park. Really cool!

Please Allah/Jesus/Buddha, make it real !

Yes it would be absolutely awesome if it was real!! Lots of people are hoping for the same.

you guys are dreamers .... coffee1.gif

Elite card is the option .... no cheap charlie queues ... no hassle ... service with a smile .. !!

I personally kind of like the Elite card, with drawbacks. Pros: No cash on deposit or income statements to worry about. Still requires 90 day reporting if in country. I guess I could manage to leave for a day or two every 89 days and not have to report? Not 100% clear if I can come and go and leave and enter Thailand as many times as I want.

in some countries you dont get a double entry if you have not a paid 2nd air ticket !

so forget 2x3 months with just a boarder hopper !

In some country they don't, but in Laos they do. That is enough for people to be still here, sorry if you don't like this fact.

• Like 1

Although that's true for a country that could rely on other forms of income, Thailand seems to be highly obsessed with tourism, or should I say mass, mass, mass tourism and not a single day goes past without some sort of mention about how to improve tourist numbers, how the number of Russians/Chinese etc. is falling and something needs to be done about it, how Thailand plans to get more Kazakh/Bhutanese/Tuvaluan tourists into the country and lots of other nonsense.

Well, your list of tourist target countries was close to correct!!! laugh.png

Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) has asserted it attempted to bring over new tourists

from Baltic nations such as Estonia, Latvia, Lithonia, and Kazakhstan,

in its bids

to compensate the declining number of Russian travelers who are being affected by the national economic stumble.

The move is expected to help bring the tourism revenue to the proposed target

of 2.2 trillion baht.

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

What Thailand has to wrap its head around is there are people who are under 50 years old and want to LIVE in Thailand for extended periods of time and ARE NOT TOURISTS. These people already have their own money or a business in another country and will not be a threat to loss of jobs for Thai people.

If they do this then a lot of problems for LONG TIME visitors or short time EXPATS under 50 years old will be solved for everyone.

This is such a smart idea that I'm sure Thailand will never do it.

Im under 50 and retired and Thailand already offers the option with the PE visa. Worth every penny for its ease of use and stay.

in some countries you dont get a double entry if you have not a paid 2nd air ticket !

so forget 2x3 months with just a boarder hopper !

In some country they don't, but in Laos they do. That is enough for people to be still here, sorry if you don't like this fact.

Yes, this works since years and no end in sight.

As said previously the devil is in the details.

And I bet the selection will be based on how much MONEY you can show

As per usual coffee1.gif

They will keep the two months extendable tourist visa for those not rich enough to afford the new one, but will restrict the number of back to back and people on that will be treated as pond life because not rich enough to get on the new 6months/1 year one.

And that will be the end of "cheap charlies" that most of you wish for

Edited by Kitsune

Could it be that this initiative is tied in with the push to make Thailand the "Hub" for visitors to SE Asia... http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?/topic/791803-Ministries-ordered-to-help-push-Thailand-as-ASEAN-hub ???

E.g. Give somebody unlimited entries into Thailand for (say) a max 30/60 days a time over a max 12 months so they can use Thailand as a base to visit the surrounding areas?

Yes, this is my reading of it too. Instead of getting a double or triple entry visa with a 6 month validity, travellers will get unlimited entries with a 12 month validity. I expect it will still come with 60 days (+30 day extension) for each individual entry.

It's difficult to believe they are will undo the recent tightening on visas for illegal workers so my guess is they'll only be issuing these in locations where they are fairly liberal about issuing visas already - namely faraway rich countries.

It's difficult to believe they are will undo the recent tightening on visas for illegal workers so my guess is they'll only be issuing these in locations where they are fairly liberal about issuing visas already - namely faraway rich countries.

Or simply make this visa "issued only in the applicant's home country".

Or simply make this visa "issued only in the applicant's home country".

back in the days of granting non-o multiple entry (1 year) for "visiting friends" i knew a lot of people who were quite happy to fly home once a year.. normally at xmas :)

• Like 1

You can see how desperate for humor I am when I say I chuckle at the recurrent personal stories of tourists and visitors in the context of "how important they are" to Thailand's economy. Please, folks, look at the stats re tourism's part of the whole economy.... good for a chuckle anyway.

Get it thru your foreigner-type heads...... Thailand DOES NOT CARE about foreigners except as they get some bad press occasionally.

If that is the case, why are they so obsessed with tourist arrival numbers?

Edited by sangfroid

Please Allah/Jesus/Buddha, make it real !

Yes it would be absolutely awesome if it was real!! Lots of people are hoping for the same.

you guys are dreamers .... coffee1.gif

Elite card is the option .... no cheap charlie queues ... no hassle ... service with a smile .. !!

I personally kind of like the Elite card, with drawbacks. Pros: No cash on deposit or income statements to worry about. Still requires 90 day reporting if in country. I guess I could manage to leave for a day or two every 89 days and not have to report? Not 100% clear if I can come and go and leave and enter Thailand as many times as I want.

With the Elite card you can indeed come and go as you wish.

You get a stamp for 1 year each time you enter the country.

If you stay more than 90 days in the country, you must do the 90 day report.

If you live in Bangkok, the 90 day report can be done for you by the staff. No need to go.

If you stay less than 90 days in Thailand, you get a new 1 year stamp each time you enter the country.

Edited by gerry1011
  • Like 1

Last year I meet one African with a 5 entry Tourist Visa valid for a year.

May be that is what they mean.

Validity one year, 3 entries, each entry 60days.

Would make sense, cost would also be correct, THB3,000.-, means THB1,000.-per entry.

In general they should make the visa validity longer, let's say 6month minimum, this would save many guys a lot of hassle.

Only people I see complaining here are the fools that bought the elite visa, Yes this would be great for Thailand, I know so many people that would come here if they could get a 1 year visa and rent a place for 1 year without having to worry about getting denied at immigration. Most people want to come to Thailand for 1 year not 5 year and who in their right mind would pay $20k for a 5 year PE visa when you only want to come for a year, This would be great for everyone, Tourists get to stay for a year and it puts lots of extra money into local businesses!!

• Like 1

Only people I see complaining here are the fools that bought the elite visa, Yes this would be great for Thailand, I know so many people that would come here if they could get a 1 year visa and rent a place for 1 year without having to worry about getting denied at immigration. Most people want to come to Thailand for 1 year not 5 year and who in their right mind would pay $20k for a 5 year PE visa when you only want to come for a year, This would be great for everyone, Tourists get to stay for a year and it puts lots of extra money into local businesses!!

I'm pretty sure the TE visa is only really targeted at people who want to stay / come and go continuously for 5 years or more.

Six month or 12 months visas would definitely be a lot less hassle for lots of people.

Why the language? Fools? Sure your not a moaning Brit? Some of us can afford the TE option. Some of us plan to stay much longer than a year. Some of us like the ease of use, come and go as you please and service the TE visa provides. It makes sense. If they want to bring this new option in then good luck to those it benefits. But even for a year you will still have to do visa runs. Its unlikley to be a one year stay and I bet as with all tourist visas there will be restriction on back to back at some point. The ease of use of the TE visa is more than worth the money and more likely attracts net worth people who enhance the local economy more that someone renting some place for a year at 3000 bht a month. Its like comparing Jonnie Walker Blue with Hong Thong.

I would not be holding my breath waiting for it to happen. I have seen nothing in the news about it.

The devil may be in the details. Also what exactly do they mean by multiple entry?

My wife saw it on the Thai news and said the 'multiple' referred to countries.

'Approval for the proposal' is Thailand agreeing to a proposal that was tabled in the Phillipines a few months back. I believe 4 of the 10 countries involved have already agreed.

The project is likely to take 4/5 years to be implemented.

• Like 1

this new visa proposal has NO relation to being able to stay in thailand for close to 6 years on elite pe or 20 years on elite te i am not shocked at the twisted posters who think any visa that allows you to stay for 6 months etc is a competitor to the elite as these posters are so twised to always be ultra negative on elite card,simply there not in the same ball park and any visa that foreigners are on should be respected by all posters, otherwise whats the point of having a visa dscussion forum

Edited by humbug
  • Like 1

MANILA, Philippines – Two lawmakers are pushing for a single-visa scheme among the 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations to improve relations and boost tourism.

Cagayan de Oro Representative Rufus Rodriguez and his brother, Abante Mindanao Representative Maximo Rodriguez, have filed House Resolution 1313 urging the Department of Foreign Affairs to actively seek the establishment of a single-visa scheme across Asean.

“The proposed single-visa scheme, which would be similar to Europe’s unified visa system, will allow non-Asean nationals to enter the 10 member-states of the Asean using a single visa, thus saving them time and resources in securing such documents,” the authors said in an explanatory note.

The Asean states are Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/112332/single-visa-system-for-asean-proposed-in-house/#ixzz3P9pihOxX

MANILA, Philippines – Two lawmakers are pushing for a single-visa scheme among the 10 members of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations to improve relations and boost tourism.

Cagayan de Oro Representative Rufus Rodriguez and his brother, Abante Mindanao Representative Maximo Rodriguez, have filed House Resolution 1313 urging the Department of Foreign Affairs to actively seek the establishment of a single-visa scheme across Asean.

“The proposed single-visa scheme, which would be similar to Europe’s unified visa system, will allow non-Asean nationals to enter the 10 member-states of the Asean using a single visa, thus saving them time and resources in securing such documents,” the authors said in an explanatory note.

The Asean states are Brunei, Cambodia, Indonesia, Laos, Malaysia, Myanmar, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and Vietnam.

Read more: http://globalnation.inquirer.net/112332/single-visa-system-for-asean-proposed-in-house/#ixzz3P9pihOxX

That is not the same visa that this topic is about. The one in your post is probably years away from happening if ever. Certainly not by Chinese new years.

• Like 1

That is not the same visa that this topic is about. The one in your post is probably years away from happening if ever. Certainly not by Chinese new years.

Yes it is. When my wife heard it on the Thai news, it was referred to as a 'multiple visa' - Thai terminology!

Each country has to agree/ disagree to the proposal before it can move forward. Thailand is discussing the proposal and hoping to come to an agreement to join in shortly. From the news item it sounded like it had been agreed in principle and just needs to be made formal.

As I said in the previous post the project is likely to take 4/5 years.

Yes it is. When my wife heard it on the Thai news, it was referred to as a 'multiple visa' - Thai terminology!

Each country has to agree/ disagree to the proposal before it can move forward. Thailand is discussing the proposal and hoping to come to an agreement to join in shortly. From the news item it sounded like it had been agreed in principle and just needs to be made formal.

Such a pan-ASEAN visa has been touted and agreed-upon more than once by the talking heads of ASEAN since about the time I moved here (1998). Would your four to five years implementation be from then or from now? wink.png

There's nothing in the OP here that makes any mention of the visa plan the Thais are talking about involving access to other ASEAN countries.

And of course, doing any kind of ASEAN wide plan isn't going to happen quickly, as in Chinese New Year.

So, to me at least, it's pretty clear the OP proposal is strictly a Thai only plan -- though it would be nice if someone somewhere among all the so-called "news media" here would report more fully on the details of just what they're talking about.

Such a pan-ASEAN visa has been touted and agreed-upon more than once by the talking heads of ASEAN since about the time I moved here (1998). Would your four to five years implementation be from then or from now? wink.png

I know it has been kicking around for a while but the text I posted in No144 was dated Oct 2014 so I would assume that the estimate in the article was from then, but we all know what timelines are like.

The text in the OP was almost identical to a Thai news item about 10 days ago on this subject.

There's nothing in the OP here that makes any mention of the visa plan the Thais are talking about involving access to other ASEAN countries.

And of course, doing any kind of ASEAN wide plan isn't going to happen quickly, as in Chinese New Year.

So, to me at least, it's pretty clear the OP proposal is strictly a Thai only plan -- though it would be nice if someone somewhere among all the so-called "news media" here would report more fully on the details of just what they're talking about.

About 10 days ago my wife had a news item and came to me all excited. She said that they(?) had introduced a multiple visa that would allow foreigners with a Thai visa to travel to another Asian country.

I said that cannot be correct as it was only a proposal at this stage and that what had probably been said was that they had agreed to participate in the scheme. She was not too happy and was adamant that they had said it had been introduced, we just agreed to differ.

If some other multiple visa comes to light by the Chinese New Year, I am more than happy to stand corrected.