Shrimp Scampi

Dale Cooper

Hey guys and girls.

Is there a place in Chiang Rai that serves shrimp scampi? I'm only wondering because my client is a huge fan and he told me that if I can't find it in Chiang Rai, I might lose him. I don't mean to Fuss, but chiang rai must have a place. Geese, it's hard to please some people. I heard that scampi is well known favorite of a friend of a friend here. But I just can't find it. Anyone care to help?

Dale

Hey guys and girls.

Is there a place in Chiang Rai that serves shrimp scampi? I'm only wondering because my client is a huge fan and he told me that if I can't find it in Chiang Rai, I might lose him. I don't mean to Fuss, but chiang rai must have a place. Geese, it's hard to please some people. I heard that scampi is well known favorite of a friend of a friend here. But I just can't find it. Anyone care to help?

Dale

I used to have clients like that, luckily I dumped them and now have a life.

However if he persists, I recommend you take him to Thoeng.

There you will find an abundance of prawn farms/ restaurants, who will serve and cook various sizes of shrimp/ prawns that you can choose or catch yourself, which brings up the discussion whats the difference.

Prawns, shrimp or scampi?

A shrimp is a shrimp; a prawn is, well, a shrimp. The two words are used interchangeably in markets and restaurants everywhere. The textbooks may agree that a shrimp is a shrimp, but many people (and quite a few cookbooks) refer to this most popular of shellfish as a prawn.

Some people say the difference is size. In many parts of the country, small and medium shrimp are sold simply as shrimp, while large, extra-large, and jumbo shrimp are called prawns. Unfortunately, this "rule" doesn't always hold. In some areas, all shrimp, small and large, are sold as shrimp, while in other regions, all you'll find are prawns.

Purists may argue that the term "prawn" is reserved for the shrimp's close relative, the Dublin Bay prawn. The Dublin Bay prawn resembles a shrimp, but it's distinguished by its small pincer claws (similar to those on a lobster) and a narrower body. Sometimes called Florida or Caribbean lobsterettes or French langoustines, these shellfish can be hard to find in markets. And unlike shrimp, Dublin Bay prawns are usually cooked with their heads on. The claws make quite an attractive presentation, although they're too tiny to render any meat.

In Italy, Dublin Bay prawns are called scampi, which has confused North Americans even more. In Canada and the US, scampi refers to a dish of large shrimp that are cooked with garlic and butter or olive oil.

Tayto. Food lover.

Edited by tayto

A shrimp is a shrimp; a prawn is, well, a shrimp. The two words are used interchangeably in markets and restaurants everywhere. The textbooks may agree that a shrimp is a shrimp, but many people (and quite a few cookbooks) refer to this most popular of shellfish as a prawn.

Some people say the difference is size. In many parts of the country, small and medium shrimp are sold simply as shrimp, while large, extra-large, and jumbo shrimp are called prawns. Unfortunately, this "rule" doesn't always hold. In some areas, all shrimp, small and large, are sold as shrimp, while in other regions, all you'll find are prawns.

Purists may argue that the term "prawn" is reserved for the shrimp's close relative, the Dublin Bay prawn. The Dublin Bay prawn resembles a shrimp, but it's distinguished by its small pincer claws (similar to those on a lobster) and a narrower body. Sometimes called Florida or Caribbean lobsterettes or French langoustines, these shellfish can be hard to find in markets. And unlike shrimp, Dublin Bay prawns are usually cooked with their heads on. The claws make quite an attractive presentation, although they're too tiny to render any meat.

In Italy, Dublin Bay prawns are called scampi, which has confused North Americans even more. In Canada and the US, scampi refers to a dish of large shrimp that are cooked with garlic and butter or olive oil.

Tayto. Food lover.

Tayto,

You certainly know your crustaceans!

What is the difference between a prawn and a shrimp ?

I always thought that a shrimp is a seawater creature, while prawn's natural habitat is fresh water?

Is this not true?

In The Rai!

Whatever you want to call them, I doubt that you will find any scampi/prawns/shrimps that will satisfy your picky customer. If your customer demands scampi then they want the best and frankly I have never found the best in Thailand anywhere north of Ayutthaya. If you want to give it a go you should probably call around at the most expensive luxury restaurants in town....probably associated with the most expensive hotels....because these are about the only places that have customers with a budget to afford the best.

A further note: My experience is that shrimp/prawns/whatever in Thailand are highly variable on flavor and I have not been able to find a consistent winner.

dale,

shrimp scampi is a high-end gourmet dish that even westerners rarely do right.

one does not 'just whoop up some scampi'.

i doubt you'd find in the refreshingly unsophisticated environs of chiang rai.

however, i'd have a poke around the higher-end venues, somebody might just surprise you.

PASTA WITH SHRIMP SCAMPI

1-1/2 lbs. unpeeled, medium-size fresh shrimp (Macro Fresh Daily)

1-2 tbls. Chopped chipotle peppers (Macro)

2 garlic cloves, minced (Macro)

2 tbls. veg. or olive oil (Northern Farms)

1/2 cup dry white wine or chicken broth (northern Farms)

1 tbls. Prepared mustard (northern Farms)

1 tbls. Worcestershire sauce (Northern Farms)

1/2-3/4 cup butter, melted (Macro)

1/2 tsp. salt (Anywhere)

2 tbls. Fresh lemon juice (lime Juice) (Anywhere)

1 lb. spaghetti, cooked (Macro, Big-C, Northern Farms)

1/2 cup fresh parsley, optional (most markets, Macro)

1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese ( Macro, Northern Farms, Big-C)

Peel shrimp and. Sauté peppers and garlic in hot oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until thoroughly heated. Note: (you could and should slice open peppers to remove seeds to tone down the heat. Depending on pepper size, one large will do. You adjust to taste.)

Add shrimp and cook, stirring constantly, 2-3 minutes or just until shrimp turns pink. Remove shrimp and set aside.

Stir in white wine, mustard, and Worcestershire sauce, cook over high heat 3-4 minutes. Return shrimp to skillet. Stir in butter, salt, lemon juice, cook 1-2 minutes or until combined and thoroughly heated.

Place pasta in a large serving dish, toss with shrimp mixture and parsley. Sprinkle with parmesan cheese.

Yields 4-6 servings.

Scampi picture for you, I see these Thai Prawns(Scampi) in Macro all the time Fresh! They are the ones with claws on them. They are a grey color with blue Claws

post-19962-1155879561_thumb.jpg

as you can gather by the intricate recipe presented by thomas, i was dead on when i stated that 'one does not just "whip up" some shrimp scampi'.

i once met a guy who claimed to just 'whip-up' some shrimp scampi for a group, and suffice it to say that me and that guy arent exactly the best of friends anymore.

i'm not sure if he actualy said 'whip up' or 'whoop up'. either way i'm really upset.