Is pepper spray legal in Thailand?

coralia

Why didn't you ask on that thread?

Very helpful response.

For the OP, this is from a post made by Somsak Lawyer in September 2014:

"By law there are two types of weapons, (1) weapon by condition eg. knife, gun etc. (2) weapon by use eg. bat, bottles, stick etc. Batons, knives and pepper spray are considered weapons by condition, if you are caught with one by the police you could be fined THB 100 and have it confiscated. In the case of using it as self defense you can use it if it's against a weapon that is of a more dangerous in nature such as a knife or a gun. Only police and authorised personnel are legally allowed to carry such weapons."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/762108-concealed-pepper-spray-expandable-batons-and-pocket-knives/

Very helpful response.

"By law there are two types of weapons, (1) weapon by condition eg. knife, gun etc. (2) weapon by use eg. bat, bottles, stick etc. Batons, knives and pepper spray are considered weapons by condition, if you are caught with one by the police you could be fined THB 100 and have it confiscated. In the case of using it as self defense you can use it if it's against a weapon that is of a more dangerous in nature such as a knife or a gun. Only police and authorised personnel are legally allowed to carry such weapons."

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/762108-concealed-pepper-spray-expandable-batons-and-pocket-knives/

You're correct, I should have suggested he use the search function.

Also, considering the subject was already being discussed, why start a new, redundant topic.

Very helpful response.

Hmm......"could be fined 100 baht" is almost legal!

Don't know how you can use it legally against a knife or gun, if you're not supposed to carry it?

• Like 1

I have a small can of pepper spray and I was thinking of taking it to Thailand with me, mainly because I am afraid of street dogs. I have been attacked by street dogs twice (once in Chiang Mai and once in Pattaya), several years ago... having pepper spray with me would make me feel safer. But I seem to understand that it is illegal to carry it with me, so I guess I'll have to leave it at home.

• Like 2

On 1/16/2015 at 2:03 AM, coralia said:

I have a small can of pepper spray and I was thinking of taking it to Thailand with me, mainly because I am afraid of street dogs. I have been attacked by street dogs twice (once in Chiang Mai and once in Pattaya), several years ago... having pepper spray with me would make me feel safer. But I seem to understand that it is illegal to carry it with me, so I guess I'll have to leave it at home.

Being cruel to animals will not endear you to the Police either - catch 22 for you. 100 baht fine or unable to inflict damage to dogs.....tough call

On 1/17/2015 at 4:40 AM, Dannyboy666 said:

I use a stun gun, just the noise makes animals scurry, very available in Thailand.

And is it legal? 

Could you tell me what it's called in Thai? Where can I buy one, and how much would it cost?

Many thanks.

• Like 1

I use a stun gun, just the noise makes animals scurry, very available in Thailand.

And is it legal?smile.png

Could you tell me what it's called in Thai? Where can I buy one, and how much would it cost?

Many thanks.

. In Pattaya just sit in a bar on Soi 7 or 8, the hawkers will come, in BKK on Sukumvit they used to sell them on tables, look for knife sellers, I've carried them for years never had a problem, or maybe 100 baht fine, I got one at International Market in Nong Khai for 250 baht its small, I also got the big one looks like flashlight, for around 1200 baht on Soi 7 Pattaya, he said 1800 baht first and then we came down from there, look Night Markets too

• 4 years later...
  • 1 month later...

Knife sellers on Sukhimvit sell. I had problems with Soi dogs and began carrying rocks and a small collapsible baton, but had a change of heart and began buying meat on a stick from street vendors and keeping it wrapped in my bag when walking around. Dogs like you after, and they keep liking you, and their friends start to like you too.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just because something is illegal, it does not mean to say you don't do it, as long

as no innocent person is harmed.

• Confused 1

What about that "fart in a can" gear ? I reckon that might get a result..., although maybe not the result that anyone might want.
Or for that matter a "poo poo cushion" aimed in the general direction and 'blurted' might do the trick..., maybe buy you some time to decamp in a awayward direction .
Ahhh, I crack myself up...., 

Edited by Sandy Freckle

• 1 year later...

I would advise you to get proper dog training about how you trigger dogs, instead of making them hermless without sticks and pepperspray. 

Google and you will find information how to avoid dog attacks. I have never been attacked by dogs in Thailand so far, and what works for me, is stopp, stay calm, raise your arms above the head. 

What triggers them is if you Walk fast orrun, act nervous Yealling, kicking waiving with a stick, or act aggressive. Good luck. 

Did the attacking dogs bite you, or was it just scaring attacks, and what did you do? 

On 6/13/2019 at 5:23 AM, pbrock said:

"Civilians found in possession of pepper spray can by law be jailed for up to 10 years and fined as much as Bt1 million."

True?

I don't know if it's true or not.  In fact, the link doesn't work for me.  But anyone interpreting Thai law based on something they read on the interweb is taking a risk that they don't understand the history of the law, how it's interpreted, or whether that version of the law is still valid.   Laws seem to change on an ad-hoc basis under the current junta.

• Like 1

On 1/15/2015 at 10:46 PM, beechguy said:

You're correct, I should have suggested he use the search function.

Also, considering the subject was already being discussed, why start a new, redundant topic.

The TV search function is very unreliable.  This is a forum.  Members are encouraged to ask questions that might expand the knowledge base.

• Thanks 1