Frustrated Phuket beach guard lashes out at Russian tourist

webfact

Thats why the card has multiple languages on it . Guard would need to be walking the beach and showing it. As guard sees said swimmer entering the water, blows his whistle and walks up with card. Maybe an illustration would need to be on it too.

Exactly - Here is the card that I'm producing, in English, Chinese, Russian, Korean and Japanese. (I'm just waiting on the Japanese translation and then I can print/laminate the cards.)

I need to check how many lifeguard posts there are in Phuket - any links to this information?

attachicon.gifLIFEGUARD.jpg

Well done simon ...

I take my hat off to you for doing something constructive

I am also sure that card you are printing up will save someone's life

I hope this idea of yours is a success

• Like 2

Communication breakdown perhaps. People sheet heed these warnings I understand the frustration of the life guard idiot tourists like that guy should not be ignoring warnings like red flags. No wonder so many die in Phuket I saw 3 road accidents while I was there. F me, prices have gone though the roof, those kitties really want more, its a joke. 50 baht for Jok Moo and Kannon Jim!!

If a tourist ignores a safety warning, it's on him. End of story. It most certainly does NOT give a beach lifeguard cause for a physical confrontation. And we all know what's really behind the aggressive attitude; the lifeguard perceives that he's lost face as a result of the lowly "farang" ignoring him. The tourist's attitude is bad; the lifeguard's attitude is WORSE!

If a tourist ignores a safety warning, it's on him. End of story. It most certainly does NOT give a beach lifeguard cause for a physical confrontation. And we all know what's really behind the aggressive attitude; the lifeguard perceives that he's lost face as a result of the lowly "farang" ignoring him. The tourist's attitude is bad; the lifeguard's attitude is WORSE!

"And we all know what's really behind the aggressive attitude; the lifeguard perceives that he's lost face as a result of the lowly "farang" ignoring him." - I thought the lifeguards became aggressive when the farang refuses to pay for the lifeguard's safety advice, or, the farang has somehow scratched the red flag pole. biggrin.png

I distributed some of my info cards today at Surin and Bangtao beaches. In chatting with the lifeguards at both beaches, they said that their major problem was with Russian tourists, who regularly ignore their instructions not to enter the water when the red flag is flying.

My info card was well-received at both beaches - anything that reduces the death toll, especially during the monsoon season, has to be welcomed.

I'll get to the other beaches later this week and see what other lifeguards have to say.

• Like 1

I distributed some of my info cards today at Surin and Bangtao beaches. In chatting with the lifeguards at both beaches, they said that their major problem was with Russian tourists, who regularly ignore their instructions not to enter the water when the red flag is flying.

My info card was well-received at both beaches - anything that reduces the death toll, especially during the monsoon season, has to be welcomed.

I'll get to the other beaches later this week and see what other lifeguards have to say.

Russians and Thais don't mix well. The Thais are chilled and the Russians pig headed. You want to see Australian and Dutch working together. Now that's a volatile mix...it's war.

Need to equip these guys with a card and written in different languages, "I'm advising you to stay out of the water because it's too dangerous now, please do not go swimming".

Gee, that may work if the tourist is near the life guard, but what if the lifeguard doesn't know which language the swimmer speaks and how big does that card need to be when the swimmer is up the beach or already in the water? Next!

Thats why the card has multiple languages on it . Guard would need to be walking the beach and showing it. As guard sees said swimmer entering the water, blows his whistle and walks up with card. Maybe an illustration would need to be on it too. Once in the water, obviously too late.Next!

As I said, "Gee, that may work if the tourist is near the life guard"

I don't think the problem is that tourists failed to understand that there was a warning out. I think they did, and simply decided to ignore it. Sort o' thick-headed, but some people are just like that. The real problem though is in how these lifeguards went about performing their duties, and their attitude, in the face of that... They should get some time in the slammer for simple assault.

If there's a need, then call the police to handle the situation. Don't presume to authority you just don't have, and don't act out your insecurities.

Glass half empty??

No single item or action is going to eliminate the risks on the beach.

So, howabout the lifeguard has a loudspeaker system in the most common languages spoken by tourists?

'Get out of the water now' in Thai, English, Russian and Chinese should help - not expensive to implement.

There are always solutions if you think positively

Glass half empty??

No single item or action is going to eliminate the risks on the beach.

So, howabout the lifeguard has a loudspeaker system in the most common languages spoken by tourists?

'Get out of the water now' in Thai, English, Russian and Chinese should help - not expensive to implement.

There are always solutions if you think positively

Perhaps the tsunami speakers can also be used to carry voice instructions, for this purpose.