Songkran

dbrenn

You dont need to leave Thailand

Different places in Thailand "enjoy" this festival at different times so the answer is to go for a holiday say to another place that has it before your own areas time for Songkran and wait for it to end in the particular place that you live, then move back after it is all over, thereby missing out on all the festivities

Edited by n210mp

Just avoid the places frequented by Westerners.

The Thai people will almost always respect your desire to stay dry.

When did you arrive on the banana boat, one only has to look at the carnage on the roads and other crap that goes on over Songkran to under stand there is no respect for peoples desire to stay dry irrespective of where you go in Thailand staying away from places frequented by westerners had nothing to do with it there are hooligans everywhere over this period

On the Boat, well, some years ago.

The guy originally asked about not getting wet.

If I'm walking, dressed well and request not to get wet, from a Thai, apart from a child once, I never have.

Different story if you are riding a bike during this time. Those guys really cop it.

I do agree with you, while Songkran is a fun time for many Thais, the carnage on the roads is inexcusable.

Last year I fled to Georgetown, Penang and was able to stay dry.

Now there's an idea - I haven't been to Penang for a long time. Laid back, and a great place for food, as I remember.

What about Cambo or Myanmar? Does the insanity happen there too?

Well a person well dressed and especially asking not to get wet is just begging to have even more water thrown unto him.

Call it a sadistic type of thinking.

How many Songkran Festivals have you been involved with Thais?

If you thinking that the throwing of Water is what Songkran is about then you have little true knowledge of the Festival.

Well a person well dressed and especially asking not to get wet is just begging to have even more water thrown unto him.

If you thinking that the throwing of Water is what Songkran is about then you have little true knowledge of the Festival.

That's not important. I was just talking about the logic of trying to convince them not to throw water unto you especially when you're dressed up, a farang and trying to look like you don't want to get wet.

That's not important. I was just talking about the logic of trying to convince them not to throw water unto you especially when you're dressed up, a farang and trying to look like you don't want to get wet.

Obviously few, one or none.

You 'play' Songkran.

If you ask not to play, most Thai respect that.

Speaking a little basic Thai, and my Thai, despite my time here is very basic, does help.

The 'logic' of your home country may not apply in Thailand.

Sometimes to your betterment, sometimes to your detriment.

Though, I will admit, unless you have a Thai Partner, or speak Thai, it is quite daunting to try and celebrate with the Thais.

You could start by going at the beginning of the Festival to visit your local Wat (Temple) and you will see the deep respect that the Festival garners.

You 'play' Songkran.

Speaking a little basic Thai, and my Thai, despite my time here is very basic, does help.

Though, I will admit, unless you have a Thai Partner, or speak Thai, it is quite daunting to try and celebrate with the Thais.

You could start by going at the beginning of the Festival to visit your local Wat (Temple) and you will see the deep respect that the Festival garners.

Oh sure go ahead and walk on the streets and hope you don't get wet.

• Like 1

I would certainly give Myanmar a miss if you want to avoid getting wet. I can honestly say that I have not seen any craziness in Thailand as bad as what happens in Yangon and Mandalay. It is not far short of a war zone! All the police and troops disappear for 3 days and the people go wild.

On second thoughts I recommend you go and enjoy the experience of a lifetime.

Meanwhile in boring Cambodia, the Buddhist New Year is a traditional family affair. No street celebrations that I have ever seen. But don't get confused with the Phnom Penh Water festival which occurs in November when the river flow changes direction. I believe that can be quite wet.

I am actually off to Darwin for a week.

You 'play' Songkran.

Have you been here for Songkran? Thai's not going to wet you if you ask? What planet are you on?

Farangs are less likely to wt you if you ask.

Just avoid the places frequented by Westerners.

The Thai people will almost always respect your desire to stay dry.

Not sure about that.

Not many in Si Chompu and we got drenched regularly.

Anyway on a hot day it's not that bad.

I would certainly give Myanmar a miss if you want to avoid getting wet. I can honestly say that I have not seen any craziness in Thailand as bad as what happens in Yangon and Mandalay. It is not far short of a war zone! All the police and troops disappear for 3 days and the people go wild.

On second thoughts I recommend you go and enjoy the experience of a lifetime.

Meanwhile in boring Cambodia, the Buddhist New Year is a traditional family affair. No street celebrations that I have ever seen. But don't get confused with the Phnom Penh Water festival which occurs in November when the river flow changes direction. I believe that can be quite wet.

I am actually off to Darwin for a week.

Thanks for the info, and crossing Myanmar off my list.

Looks like a choice between Cambo, Malaysia and Singapore.

You 'play' Songkran.

I've been here for lots of Songkran, and whilst some people do indeed refrain from throwing water all over you if asked, there are a lot that don't. Enough to make me want to stay at home for the whole festival. Waking around drenched just because some cretin wants to score a hit on me, when I just want to be left alone, is no fun at all.

Songkran used to be a charming affair, so we've all heard, but these days it's nothing short of an insane and often aggressive water fight.

A bit like Christmas used to be a charming affair, but now it is a commercial nightmare.

Call me a humbug smile.png

• Like 1