British tourist who contracted a rare disease in Thailand is back in the UK

webfact

British tourist who contracted a rare disease in Thailand is back in the UK

craig-back-home.jpg

KOH SAMUI: -- Whilst on holiday in Thailand Craig Lindley came down with some kind of illness. Craig, who is 35 and from Hoyle Mill Barnsley was celebrating his friend’s wedding in Koh Samui.

When he woke up New Year’s Day unable to move his legs and function properly. He was admitted to hospital and at first the doctors were unable to diagnose his illness. On Jan 2nd he was transferred from Koh Samui to Surat Thani to have an MRI scan.

When the MRI scan was carried out the doctors were still unsure what was causing the illness but suggested it was some craig back hometype of brain stem issue. Money was then raised to transfer Craig to Bangkok.

Due to his insurance being invalid Craig and his family set about raising the money for his hospital bills. In Bangkok Craig’s illness was identified as Guillain-Barre syndrome, a rare disease in which there is a rapid-onset weakness of the limbs as a result of an acute polyneuropathy, a disorder affecting the peripheral nervous system.

The disease is usually triggered by an infection, which provokes immune-mediated nerve dysfunction. Many experience changes in sensation or develop pain, followed by muscle weakness beginning in the feet and hands that develops rapidly (between half a day and two weeks).

During the acute phase, the disorder can be life-threatening with about a quarter requiring admission to intensive care unit for mechanical ventilation.

During his treatment Craig worked hard to fight his illness and his friends and family worked hard to raise funds to pay for it.

Craig is now back in the UK and posted this message to his friends, family and supporters on the fund raising Facebook page yesterday

As you can see from the headline, I am back home! My family didn’t publish an update yesterday as I was en route back to the UK.

I was discharged from Bangkok hospital yesterday afternoon with a fit to fly certificate from the aviation doctor and travelled home on a regular flight with my brother and friend. I arrived at the airport and was greeted by my incredible family and girlfriend.

I am now safely back in Barnsley and is still in a good condition following the treatment I’ve had. My medical records are being reviewed by my doctor and local hospital, and I am hoping I won’t need to be admitted to hospital for further treatment.

We will of course keep you updated. The treatment I received in Bangkok was first class and I believe that without it, I wouldn’t be in the position I am in now.

After calculations, the total cost my treatment, hospital care, medical transfer and flight home was £47,000. To date, you have helped to raise an astonishing £37,000! With further donations to be received over the coming days from mini fund raising events across town, plus plans are already being made for a very special fund raising event, we hope to raise the remaining £10,000. Please keep following our page for further updates and details on the fund raising events.

I am delighted to be back home with my family, and this couldn’t have been possible without your incredible support, love and donations. I am overwhelmed by the touching messages I have received and words of encouragement.

Craig Lindley xxx

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-01-16

If he really did travel to Thailand for a holiday without any travel insurance then he's incredibly stupid and it's totally wrong for him to expect others to pay for his treatement.

I'm not saying he didn't have any insurance, I just don't know. But if he never had insurance then yes, the people who paid for his care are mugs.

Travel insurance for a holiday is cheap enough.

Edited by technologybytes

I say good for you young man...a health crisis is apparently nearly over with...only those who felt your pain and had a emotional connection contributed to your health expenses...good for them having a charitable heart...

"...suggested it was some craig back hometype of brain stem issue..." facepalm.gif

I don't begrudge someone doing fund-raising for lack of planning. Heck, I don't think I've ever had travel insurance...my regular insurance would have always covered part of any problem. However, what I find a bit disturbing is they are continuing to go for the last 10,000 and they may very well make more than they need. So what will they do with the extra money? They had better give it to charity.

• Like 1

"...suggested it was some craig back hometype of brain stem issue..." facepalm.gif

I don't begrudge someone doing fund-raising for lack of planning. Heck, I don't think I've ever had travel insurance...my regular insurance would have always covered part of any problem. However, what I find a bit disturbing is they are continuing to go for the last 10,000 and they may very well make more than they need. So what will they do with the extra money? They had better give it to charity.

nah! already booking the next holiday with the money over.

There is always great ridicule for the TV'ers on the insurance question. I don't think he was was on TV begging for money like some pervious instances.

We should be happy the story has a positive outcome and the guy returned to home and continue his recovery and be thankful he received the quality care to help his recovery. It could have been a different outcome just as easy and everyone would have been here speculating with all the conspiracy theories as to what caused the problem.

I think it's positive he is back home, on the road to recovery, has a great support base of friends and relatives in his corner to help and took the time to provide an update.

Certainly a success story in my book.

btw, call me crazy but never had that vacation insurance in my life. Maybe because my insurance back home covered me when I traveled abroad.

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

As shown in this thread, it was very clear from the original begging letter that he had no travel insurance.

There's another one doing the rounds. Again, no travel insurance.

Are people totally deranged?

Beyond that, why do they refuse to take responsibility, even after the event.

A story known to me, because I know a Mum. A group of lads, in their thirties, decided on a holiday in Thailand. Not rich kids, but ok working guys. Stupidly, none of them took out insurance. One, a thirty-five year old, had a heart attack. Inevitably there was a group leader, who did all the arranging, including not arranging travel insurance. He immediately sold his pride and joy, a BMW. Within the group, another BMW was sold. Others of the lads chipped in as they could, as did parents, other family and friends.

All these guys seem very much like the lead guy in this story, as do the families. Not rich, but OK working people. Let's face it, that has to be the profile to afford the holiday in the first place.

Just wondering how we keep getting all these begging stories, not to mention the story of the Czech guy who was busking to raise money fro his family to stay on in Thailand, while his daughter is fully-repaired/recovered from a road traffic accident. Insurance would have covered that (hospital costs are being paid by the negligent Thai driver). So, it looks like the little girl wasn't insurance covered. Fair bet, then that her sisters also weren't covered, never mind the parents. Responsible parents? But someone else will take up the slack, if only by contributing to Dad's busking.

The levels of irresponsibility among tourists just amaze me. Particularly, Thailand isn't a wildly safe place (as the road traffic accident proves). If the young think they're immune, unbeatable, try looking at a few stats. For instance, sudden heart attack through arhythmia is at a peak in young women in their twenties.

Edited by Runamile
  • Like 1

Maybe he should have wrote make sure you have insurance or a good insurance as you never know when you need it

well pretty much all insurance would cover this sort of medical expenses, so I am wondering wether he had any travel insurance at all?

Maybe just like a accident insurance.

Quote from facebook page :

'Craig’s friends, who were also holidaying in Thailand, checked Craig’s travel documents and found no valid travel insurance.'

So he had no insurance but traveled to Thailand ..... then everybody gave him some cash to get back home.

why didn't his insurance cover his expenses?

[/quote

maybe because of marshal law

Marshall Dillon was out of town, so not that.

Marital law was not pursued due to his not being married.

Martial law had cleared streets and man was able to travel to hospitals and airport.

The cynical comments on here really sadden me ...shame on you all....put yourself in his position for a moment huh....can't you all just for once be happy for someone who faced a life threatening time inThailand but through the strength & support of friends,family & indeed total strangers like myself who donated money ....survived & is now ok & back home.

"If you can't say anything positive ..say nothing at all."

• Like 2