Seven people killed in van accident in Songkhla

webfact

Seven people killed in van accident in Songkhla

16-1-2558-11-47-59-wpcf_728x411.jpg

SONGKHLA: -- A van driver and six Cambodian migrant workers were killed in a road accident before dawn today in Songkhla’s Jana district. Eight other passengers of the van who included two Malaysians, a Thai and Cambodians were also injured.

Initial police report said that the van came from Sa Kaew province to pick up Cambodian migrant workers and bound for Su-ngai Kolok district of Narathiwat where they were supposed to work. The two Malaysians are labour recruiters.

Police suspected that the driver might have dozed off momentarily as the van travelling along the Asian highway from Sa Kaew, arrived in Ban Kok Sai, Tambon Ja Nong, Jana district, at about 4.30 am.

The van lost control, plunged into a ditch in the middle of the highway and overturned. Some of the passengers were thrown out of the vehicle and the rest were trapped inside that rescue workers had to use hand tools to get them out.

Police said the driver and four Cambodian migrant workers died at the scene and two other Cambodians died at the hospital. The others are hospitalized.

Source: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/seven-people-killed-van-accident-songkhla

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- Thai PBS 2015-01-16

Seven killed, 8 injured when van transporting Cambodian workers crashes

SONGKHLA: -- Six Cambodian workers and a Thai driver were killed when a chartered van crashed into a tree and overturned in Songkhla's Chana district at 4:30 am Friday, police said.

The van was transporting legal immigrant workers from Sakaeo province to Sugnai Kolok. Police believe the driver dozed off because of tiredness, leading to the accident.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Seven-killed-8-injured-when-van-transporting-Cambo-30252020.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-01-16

Maybe limit the engines to 100 k thats more than most countrys allow public vehicles , or would that be too simple a solution ? It would save operators a small fortune in fuel more than is made by getting to their destination 30 mins sooner (or not at all )

• Like 1

Regulating speed will not help, neither will reducing the number of people permitted in the things, most of the vehicles are quite roadworthy but nothing anywhere in the world will reduce an accident in which the driver falls asleep. There are so many deaths in so many civilised countries and all of the best advice being given like " Drive at reasonable speed" and "stop for a 30 minute rest every 2 hours" all sound good and I have heard those phrases in Holland, Germany, England, Australia and the US but the accidents continue with many thousands dying worldwide every year. The only hope is education and to simply produce a driver who will not take risks like these. It has very little to do with road quality and almost nothing to do with intelligence, it simply needed a driver to say, " we must stop, I need to walk around and rest for a while !" No-one ever does that though.

Post removed.

11) You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, specific locations, Thai institutions such as the judicial or law enforcement system, Thai culture, Thai people or any other group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

A few weeks ago I took a van to Penang from Hat Yai. I sat in the seat behind the driver and I could observe the speedometer. He was hitting and maintaing a speed of over 160 KPH on the north south expressway where the speed limit is 110. I finally told him to slow down. He slowed down to 140 KPH. Not all but many of the minvan drivers seeem to think that because they are always on the road that they can drive at what ever speed they want. They are a dangerous lot. I know that this doesn't apply to all of them but most of them are an uneducated bunch of rabble that should not be driving vans with people in them. I have had buses try to run me off the road down here in the south so I have now taken to putting a camera mounted on the windshield of my truck whenever I drive anywhere and from now on I will be carrying a HD camera with me when I ride in any buses or minivans. If they speed then I will pass the video onto the RTP and Tourist Police as well as the TAT. Maybe that will get a few of them off the road if we all do it. There are far to many road accidents with commercial vehicles carry people in this country.

And as far as traffic control is concerned, the Traffic police, in fact all the police, are a dysfunctional mob, doing nothing except pocketing perks when they can get them. If the government wanted to, they could really get stuck into this situation, and clean it up. But frankly I don't think they give a damn, not even the ministry for tourism.

As for the run from Nakhon Sawan to Mae Sot, never again. I witnessed the aftermath of a van crash that was only minutes in front of our own, ... front two rows squashed to nothing, vehicle and body fluids dripping out of the wreckage. A few stunned people standing around with their mobiles. No emergency services present. The driver had tried to pass a large vehicle on the inside, and slammed into a parked truck. If I could have brought that driver back to life, I would have killed him again, and rubbed the PM's face in his blood.

For me, it's train or plane, or I don't go there, anywhere. For local countryside, walk or cycle, and that's it. That means South East of Bangkok is off limits. You can have it.

A few weeks ago I took a van to Penang from Hat Yai. I sat in the seat behind the driver and I could observe the speedometer. He was hitting and maintaing a speed of over 160 KPH on the north south expressway where the speed limit is 110. I finally told him to slow down. He slowed down to 140 KPH. Not all but many of the minvan drivers seeem to think that because they are always on the road that they can drive at what ever speed they want. They are a dangerous lot. I know that this doesn't apply to all of them but most of them are an uneducated bunch of rabble that should not be driving vans with people in them. I have had buses try to run me off the road down here in the south so I have now taken to putting a camera mounted on the windshield of my truck whenever I drive anywhere and from now on I will be carrying a HD camera with me when I ride in any buses or minivans. If they speed then I will pass the video onto the RTP and Tourist Police as well as the TAT. Maybe that will get a few of them off the road if we all do it. There are far to many road accidents with commercial vehicles carry people in this country.

And as far as traffic control is concerned, the Traffic police, in fact all the police, are a dysfunctional mob, doing nothing except pocketing perks when they can get them. If the government wanted to, they could really get stuck into this situation, and clean it up. But frankly I don't think they give a damn, not even the ministry for tourism. As for the run from Nakhon Sawan to Mae Sot, never again. I witnessed the aftermath of a van crash that was only minutes in front of our own, ... front two rows squashed to nothing, vehicle and body fluids dripping out of the wreckage. A few stunned people standing around with their mobiles. No emergency services present. The driver had tried to pass a large vehicle on the inside, and slammed into a parked truck. If I could have brought that driver back to life, I would have killed him again, and rubbed the PM's face in his blood. For me, it's train or plane, or I don't go there, anywhere. For local countryside, walk or cycle, and that's it. That means South East of Bangkok is off limits. You can have it.

This could have happened in Cambodia or Laos also, with a local driver no need to bash the Thai driver just because ithappened here. We all know the dangers on the roads in SE Asia.

Edited by balo
  • Like 1

Regulating speed will not help, neither will reducing the number of people permitted in the things, most of the vehicles are quite roadworthy but nothing anywhere in the world will reduce an accident in which the driver falls asleep. There are so many deaths in so many civilised countries and all of the best advice being given like " Drive at reasonable speed" and "stop for a 30 minute rest every 2 hours" all sound good and I have heard those phrases in Holland, Germany, England, Australia and the US but the accidents continue with many thousands dying worldwide every year. The only hope is education and to simply produce a driver who will not take risks like these. It has very little to do with road quality and almost nothing to do with intelligence, it simply needed a driver to say, " we must stop, I need to walk around and rest for a while !" No-one ever does that though.

sure take a break,or limit the allowed driving time.... But you are wrong Speed in the hands of crazy face saving clowns,that have had no formal driving instruction

These so called drivers are the worst of a bad drivers nation

• Like 1

How sad! Vans are rolling death traps.

As are the roads - nearby ditches, trees and dropoffs. No guard rails, shoulders or edge noise-makers, etc.

Whats that got to do with it? If you have a licence to drive? A licence means that the holder is safe to share the road with other people

sure take a break,or limit the allowed driving time.... But you are wrong Speed in the hands of crazy face saving clowns,that have had no formal driving instruction

"Take a break" "limit the driving time" is not enough. I am sure many of the drivers have other jobs at nights.

I have to travel by company van once a week and sometimes the driver gets in all red eyed in the mornings. 20 minutes later he is fighting to stay awake. Sometimes the van slows right down as he half sleeps. I slapped him on the back once to wake him up but that didn't go down well with the Thai passengers. I complained to boss about him but nothing!

Thais just don't care!

Once took a van to Rayong just after a Champions league match. As soon as we hit Bangna Trad tollway the driver was flapping his arms around, slapping his face every 15 seconds (not joking) to try and keep himself awake. No number of breaks would help someone like that.

"Take a break" "limit the driving time" is not enough. I am sure many of the drivers have other jobs at nights.

I have to travel by company van once a week and sometimes the driver gets in all red eyed in the mornings. 20 minutes later he is fighting to stay awake. Sometimes the van slows right down as he half sleeps. I slapped him on the back once to wake him up but that didn't go down well with the Thai passengers. I complained to boss about him but nothing!

Thais just don't care!

Once took a van to Rayong just after a Champions league match. As soon as we hit Bangna Trad tollway the driver was flapping his arms around, slapping his face every 15 seconds (not joking) to try and keep himself awake. No number of breaks would help someone like that.

And what happened what did you do about it?

I would have asked the driver to stop and got out, then get another lift, if they want to kill them self, fine, but don't try and kill me.

This could have happened in Cambodia or Laos also, with a local driver no need to bash the Thai driver just because ithappened here. We all know the dangers on the roads in SE Asia.

i wonder if you would be saying the same thing if it was one of your family members that died, thais are reckless and irresponsible, you may have observed this, what happens a lot is some of these drivers enjoy a drink or six and end up going to bed only hours before they have to drive,if they get to bed at all, after all they are tough and the laws of nature dont apply to them, call it thai bashing if you will, but a spade is a spade

So very very true

7 killed, 8 injured in van carrying Cambodians
The Nation

x30252090-02_big.jpg.pagespeed.ic.1LlTVd

SONGKHLA: -- Six Cambodian workers and their Thai driver were killed when their chartered van crashed into a tree and overturned in Songkhla's Chana district at 4.30am yesterday, police said.

The remaining eight passengers, including two Malaysians believed to be brokers arranging jobs for the migrant workers, sustained injuries. Two Cambodian women, identified as Chao Lee and Mom Him, are in intensive care.

The van was transporting legal migrant workers from Sa Kaew province to Sungai Kolok, and police believe the driver was tired and had dozed off, leading to the crash.

Police said five of the victims died at the scene and two succumbed to injuries at the Namom Hospital.

Source: http://www.nationmul...s-30252090.html

xnationlogo.jpg.pagespeed.ic.BfgaY1OWGmR
-- The Nation 2015-01-17