Seven people killed in van accident in Songkhla

webfact

Maybe limit the engines to 100 k thats more than most countrys allow public vehicles , or would that be too simple a solution ? It would save operators a small fortune in fuel more than is made by getting to their destination 30 mins sooner (or not at all )

They'd save on engine maintenance too. Last time I went from Hatyai to Ranod in a van, the crazy b4stard driver was red-lining it most of the time.

Mind you, last time I went to Padang Besar, the trip there and back (different drivers) were actually enjoyable...never once over the speed limit and driving carefully all the way.

This could have happened in Cambodia or Laos also, with a local driver no need to bash the Thai driver just because ithappened here. We all know the dangers on the roads in SE Asia.

But look again. "It happened here" not Cambodia or Loas .......................duhhhh facepalm.gifw00t.gif

Last month i had to do a mini van visa run from Samui to Sadao with Easyway. I was terrified of the upcoming trip as i see the crazy Lompraya mini van drivers passing through Maenam on a daily basis. However i was pleasantly surprised as our driver kept to speed limits all the way and drove with care and attention. In fact the whole trip was a pleasure, apart from the fact that we missed the last Seatrans ferry for Samui at Donsak. Our driver quickly got on his mobile and got the Raja ferry to wait for us.

Looking forward to my next trip with this company, one has to give praise where it is earned and not be negative all the time. biggrin.png

A few weeks ago I took a van to Penang from Hat Yai. I sat in the seat behind the driver and I could observe the speedometer. He was hitting and maintaing a speed of over 160 KPH on the north south expressway where the speed limit is 110. I finally told him to slow down. He slowed down to 140 KPH. Not all but many of the minvan drivers seeem to think that because they are always on the road that they can drive at what ever speed they want. They are a dangerous lot. I know that this doesn't apply to all of them but most of them are an uneducated bunch of rabble that should not be driving vans with people in them. I have had buses try to run me off the road down here in the south so I have now taken to putting a camera mounted on the windshield of my truck whenever I drive anywhere and from now on I will be carrying a HD camera with me when I ride in any buses or minivans. If they speed then I will pass the video onto the RTP and Tourist Police as well as the TAT. Maybe that will get a few of them off the road if we all do it. There are far to many road accidents with commercial vehicles carry people in this country.

RIP to the dead and get well soon to the injured.

A story like this hardly tells of the heartache so many families will suffer, loss of father/bread winner, brother etc. my heart goes out to them.

I don't drive in Thailand so we use the Songtau's and Vans. to Travel about 80K to Bangkok on Rama II Road.

It is a stupidly busy road and whilst some drivers are very good others are as you say Barking!

I must say that the authorities have closed many U Turn places and that has made it somewhat safer.

What is really nice is the Sygic navigation app. for very little cost it has a video built in,

it records the speed time on graphs, the rate of climb or descent etc. and you can save the record.

I have it on an iPad and I love it.

It shows you the legal max speed for the road you are on and shows your current speed.

With the iPad, it doesn't need a SIM or other data connection to function,the maps are downloaded to your device, once only (unless there is an update).

It doesn't matter where you sit, you will have a recording of the journey.

However, it does not currently have maps for Laos, Cambodia or Burma.

A few weeks ago I took a van to Penang from Hat Yai. I sat in the seat behind the driver and I could observe the speedometer. He was hitting and maintaing a speed of over 160 KPH on the north south expressway where the speed limit is 110. I finally told him to slow down. He slowed down to 140 KPH. Not all but many of the minvan drivers seeem to think that because they are always on the road that they can drive at what ever speed they want. They are a dangerous lot. I know that this doesn't apply to all of them but most of them are an uneducated bunch of rabble that should not be driving vans with people in them. I have had buses try to run me off the road down here in the south so I have now taken to putting a camera mounted on the windshield of my truck whenever I drive anywhere and from now on I will be carrying a HD camera with me when I ride in any buses or minivans. If they speed then I will pass the video onto the RTP and Tourist Police as well as the TAT. Maybe that will get a few of them off the road if we all do it. There are far to many road accidents with commercial vehicles carry people in this country.

Struth! 160k in a van! You're lucky to be alive!

This could have happened in Cambodia or Laos also, with a local driver no need to bash the Thai driver just because ithappened here. We all know the dangers on the roads in SE Asia.

We are talking about the killer van drivers in Thailand, is this difficult for you to understand ? Too much juice maybe.

Last month i had to do a mini van visa run from Samui to Sadao with Easyway. I was terrified of the upcoming trip as i see the crazy Lompraya mini van drivers passing through Maenam on a daily basis. However i was pleasantly surprised as our driver kept to speed limits all the way and drove with care and attention. In fact the whole trip was a pleasure, apart from the fact that we missed the last Seatrans ferry for Samui at Donsak. Our driver quickly got on his mobile and got the Raja ferry to wait for us.

Looking forward to my next trip with this company, one has to give praise where it is earned and not be negative all the time. biggrin.png

Sure we beleive youcoffee1.gif

True story,,,,,,Last week a mate of mine was driving his car from central BKK to rangsit using the bottom road , this was 11:30 pm A van came up behind him

( my mate was doing 100k on the inner lane) and almost hit him behind. The van then overtook him,then pulled in front and put its breaks on.

Then the trouble started, my friend past him and the pulled on to the hard sholder and stopped .The van also stopped, The Driver got out and started shouting

and was joined by another man,They started to try and Thai box my mate who very swiftly knocked the van driver out ( he went downlike pole axed )

the other had a broken nose. But out of the van came 4 other guys one kicked my mate in the head Thai style,when on the floor the started to kick him.

It was stopped buy 2 woman in the van,they apoligized to my mate,and said the van driver was a fault

My mate now has two very black eyes,but the satisfaction of putting out Two Thai Twxxtish Van drivers,,,, Cowards In Thailand they can only win in numbers

Regulating speed will not help, neither will reducing the number of people permitted in the things, most of the vehicles are quite roadworthy but nothing anywhere in the world will reduce an accident in which the driver falls asleep. There are so many deaths in so many civilised countries and all of the best advice being given like " Drive at reasonable speed" and "stop for a 30 minute rest every 2 hours" all sound good and I have heard those phrases in Holland, Germany, England, Australia and the US but the accidents continue with many thousands dying worldwide every year. The only hope is education and to simply produce a driver who will not take risks like these. It has very little to do with road quality and almost nothing to do with intelligence, it simply needed a driver to say, " we must stop, I need to walk around and rest for a while !" No-one ever does that though.

sure take a break,or limit the allowed driving time.... But you are wrong Speed in the hands of crazy face saving clowns,that have had no formal driving instruction

These so called drivers are the worst of a bad drivers nation

"Take a break" "limit the driving time" is not enough. I am sure many of the drivers have other jobs at nights.

I have to travel by company van once a week and sometimes the driver gets in all red eyed in the mornings. 20 minutes later he is fighting to stay awake. Sometimes the van slows right down as he half sleeps. I slapped him on the back once to wake him up but that didn't go down well with the Thai passengers. I complained to boss about him but nothing!

Thais just don't care!

Once took a van to Rayong just after a Champions league match. As soon as we hit Bangna Trad tollway the driver was flapping his arms around, slapping his face every 15 seconds (not joking) to try and keep himself awake. No number of breaks would help someone like that.

And what happened what did you do about it?

Yes. I mentioned it at the ticket office the next time.

Received a smile and a "khortort kha"

• Like 1