The Son of the Village Headman Surrendered After Shooting a Policeman

Lite Beer

The Son of the Village Headman Surrendered After Shooting a Policeman

shooting-incident-phangan-300x225.jpeg

KOH SAMUI: -- It has been reported that Mr. Suphot Champchearn, the son of the village headman in Koh Phangan shot Pol.Sub.Lt. Suriyan Ranjuan, an inquiry officer at Koh Pha Ngan Police Station while Pol.Sub.Lt. Suriyan was arresting the him for carrying weapons in a public place.

Pol.Sub.Lt. Suriysn was severely injured by the gunshot. After the incident, which happened on the night of January 13, Mr. Suphot absconded into the mountains.

In the afternoon of January 14, Koh Pha Ngan police led by Pol.Col. Phrachom Ruangthong, the Commander of Pha Ngan Provincial Police, surrounded the area around a house in a coconut farm after the police found out that Mr. Suphot had been hiding there since the incident.

After the place was surrounded, the police tried convincing Mr. Suphot to surrender, and eventually succeeded. He was taken into custody at the Koh Pha Ngan Police Station for prosecution. The injured policeman is now in hospital where his injuries are being treated.

samuitimes-logo.jpg
-- Samui Times 2015-01-16

Just wonder if this is the same village headman in Koh Phangan that was mentioned in the news in relation to the sad case where two young British tourists where murdered last year, and a son of village headman in Koh Phangan were in question...?

• Like 1

Love the way "the law" is respected here so much ... almost makes you think (if you have the right connections) you can get away with anything.

You can. It is called......"poohan gap si"...........friends with colour.

Just wonder if this is the same village headman in Koh Phangan that was mentioned in the news in relation to the sad case where two young British tourists where murdered last year, and a son of village headman in Koh Phangan were in question...?

No, because that would have been KOH TAO.

Although, in the grand scale of things, they may as well be one and the same.

same families on both islands, the people of koh tao originally from koh phangan

No, because that would have been KOH TAO.

Although, in the grand scale of things, they may as well be one and the same.

Thanks, sorry wai.gif - I was too quick with my comment... sad.png

....barbarism and power do not mix......

...this tribal mentality of village headman seems rather primitive....

...will anything ever be done about it....

Not as long as the right palms keep getting greased, including according to rumours a certain generals grand mother...

I doubt if a headman of a village on Koh Pengan is that wealthy or has any influence. I am always surprised that the BIB don't protect their own and take things into their own hands, the fact that Chalerms son is still alive amazes me, a quick shot to the head on a dark night by an unknown police officer should have been on the cards by rights.

• Like 2

Love the way "the law" is respected here so much ... almost makes you think (if you have the right connections) you can get away with anything.

Now now now... Let us not exagerate...

Police searched for him, located him, and convinced him to surrender....

Cannot get away with it...

He has to pay his 500 baht fine....

• Like 1

I doubt if a headman of a village on Koh Pengan is that wealthy or has any influence. I am always surprised that the BIB don't protect their own and take things into their own hands, the fact that Chalerms son is still alive amazes me, a quick shot to the head on a dark night by an unknown police officer should have been on the cards by rights.

I think you should 'read-up' on the Koh Tao murders investigation, which all of a sudden took a complete U-Turn when the 'headman' became involved!
  • Like 1

This sounds rather stupid I admit. What is a village 'headman'. Is it an official local government position or just some tough guy family that have emerged over the years and put the fear of God into the locals?.

I ought to know after 7 years here, but I've never lived in a village. Ta vm.

I think you should 'read-up' on the Koh Tao murders investigation, which all of a sudden took a complete U-Turn when the 'headman' became involved!

Koh Tau is not the same as Koh Pengan, last time i was there it was a dead and alive hole

Koh Tau is not the same as Koh Pengan, last time i was there it was a dead and alive hole

How far is koh tau away from koh Tao?

I have never herd of koh tau maybe that's why it's dead???