Forget Diet and Exercise - Blame our Hormones!

His Masters Voice

If weight has never been a problem for you and you want to eat healthier ... I think it's totally obvious that you don't have to totally give up ANY of your favorite "unhealthy" foods entirely. Just increase obviously healthier foods like broccoli and decrease the toxic foods like with lots of sugar, highly processed foods, especially processed red meat foods.

Yes congrats. What a great achievement. One question. I notice when peeps diet they nearly all cut out bad foods. But it is these foods we really like. I would be the same I find moderation torture and am left with a stark choice do it or chuck it, there is no mid ground as that is too painful for me.

When I had a problem with red wine I couldn't just drink a glass or 2 and be satisfied. No the loss of the third glass was hell to bear. So I had to just stop which was surprisingly easy but not ideal really as it left a deficit. Same cigs.

As I said weight is not an issue for me but I want to eat healthier. I reckon I am in for a real struggle unless I give up the bad food entirely.

Has anybody found a happy medium? Is there such a thing. Or us the issue with moderation insurmountable with things like cakes, choc, biccies, and crap in general.

If you eat only healthy for some time, you stop liking the crap.

I tried coke a few month ago and it tasted like sweet thinner to me. Can't imagine that I ever liked it.

You get used to it. And things like Pizza or Burger can be made yourself, tasting very good, maybe not the perfect diet food but not as bad as from the big factories.

Yes I can't drink a glass or 2 of wine as well. But from time to time I drink a bottle of wine (which isn't that much wine) or I drink none.

If weight has never been a problem for you and you want to eat healthier ... I think it's totally obvious that you don't have to totally give up ANY of your favorite "unhealthy" foods entirely. Just increase obviously healthier foods like broccoli and decrease the toxic foods like with lots of sugar, highly processed foods, especially processed red meat foods.

that food is not toxic.....just unhealthy if you eat too much from it.

• Like 1

Semantics.

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I agree.

Food should be enjoyed. Not felt quilty about.

There is something seriously wrong with a person's psyche is you feel quilty about eating.

Eating is what sustains us. Moderation of excesses is the key.

I would be the LAST person to disagree that we should all enjoy our food. Food is a great pleasure of life, for many, the greatest pleasure.

Believe it or not, health promoting foods can be enjoyed as well. I'm crazy about broccoli for example, no, not plain but jazzed up in recipes often with lots of GARLIC.

Also I agree it is not sustainable for most people to never have any of some of the foods they enjoy that might not be so "healthy" ... and that includes people with weight problems ... if people feel too DEPRIVED of their must have favorites for too long, it will usually BACKFIRE.

Personally I'm at a place now where some foods I used to enjoy, like french fries or gelato, I just really don't feel the need to eat that anymore and I don't feel deprived. But some other foods I will eat occasionally in small portions, such as cheese.

Whether some foods are "toxic" or not is actually debatable.

Sugar is not toxic per se at lower portions but does become damaging to health at higher, very common today, portions.

Fats? Well, we know about healthy fats now. Fats are an important part of nutrition. Transfats on the other hand ... arguably toxic.

Processed red meats? Arguably toxic:

http://www.livescience.com/15491-hotdogs-processed-red-meats-significantly-increase-diabetes-risk.html

The new Harvard study, led by An Pan, a Harvard research fellow, focused particularly on red meat. Pan's group confirmed numerous earlier studies showing a link between processed red meats and diabetes. The reason might be the nitrites and nitrates often used to preserve this meat. These chemicals convert to nitrosamines in the stomach, which are toxic to pancreatic cells and increase the risk of diabetes in animals, the researchers said.
Edited by Jingthing

I would be the LAST person to disagree that we should all enjoy our food. Food is a great pleasure of life, for many, the greatest pleasure.

Believe it or not, health promoting foods can be enjoyed as well. I'm crazy about broccoli for example, no, not plain but jazzed up in recipes often with lots of GARLIC.

Also I agree it is not sustainable for most people to never have any of some of the foods they enjoy that might not be so "healthy" ... and that includes people with weight problems ... if people feel too DEPRIVED of their must have favorites for too long, it will usually BACKFIRE.

Personally I'm at a place now where some foods I used to enjoy, like french fries or gelato, I just really don't feel the need to eat that anymore and I don't feel deprived. But some other foods I will eat occasionally in small portions, such as cheese.

Whether some foods are "toxic" or not is actually debatable.

Sugar is not toxic per se at lower portions but does become damaging to health at higher, very common today, portions.

Fats? Well, we know about healthy fats now. Fats are an important part of nutrition. Transfats on the other hand ... arguably toxic.

Processed red meats? Arguably toxic:

http://www.livescience.com/15491-hotdogs-processed-red-meats-significantly-increase-diabetes-risk.html

The new Harvard study, led by An Pan, a Harvard research fellow, focused particularly on red meat. Pan's group confirmed numerous earlier studies showing a link between processed red meats and diabetes. The reason might be the nitrites and nitrates often used to preserve this meat. These chemicals convert to nitrosamines in the stomach, which are toxic to pancreatic cells and increase the risk of diabetes in animals, the researchers said.

with the favorites it is a complex thing. First of all why do value people the pleasure of eating that high? I love to eat something good, but it is like once every couple of weeks that something is so good I eat it because I love it.

And many of the "unhealthy" food can be made healthy....A self made Pizza....Gelato doesn't need to be fat and sugar loaded. A self made burger isn't that bad. Actually as less sugar you eat as more you enjoy the fresh taste of other things.

Cheese: cheese is OK, just it is so calorie dense......

Sugar I would say not toxic at all. Just the crazy amounts.....

Transfats: yes toxic without questions, so are several artificial chemicals in food. Not very toxic but toxic. But also potatoes, tomatoes, rye, etc etc is a bit toxic, body can handle it in small amounts.