Forget Diet and Exercise - Blame our Hormones!

His Masters Voice

There are always excuses why people are fat.. guess what you can almost always alter it yourself. It just take action but people prefer to blame some outside reason why it wont happen.

Though there are things like difference in metabolic rate / differences in appetite and many others. Thing is nobody said it would be easy, if it was easy to be lean then everyone would be lean and muscular.

For some it is more difficult for some it is more hard, but EVERYONE who eat less will loose weight.

THIS !!!

take a look at the photos of changi prisoner of war camp from WW2 , none of them were fat.

Simple weight loss formula.

Less Input + More Output = Weight Loss

So simple.

So easy.

Most who do lose weight fail to keep it off.

People can preach how simple and easy it is to do forever, but the facts remain, if it was SO easy and SO simple the long term success rates would be VERY HIGH.

Instead they're very, very low.

People of good will should be WELCOMING scientific research that one day (no, not yet) may indeed provide cost effective and safe tools for people to actually achieve higher success rates (short of bariatric surgery which is the only thing science has to provide high rates of success, but VERY drastic). Instead of this rather mean spirited un-compassionate mockery and disdain towards scientific research about all the complexities of weight control issues.

Edited by Jingthing

Simple weight loss formula.

Less Input + More Output = Weight Loss

So simple.

So easy.

Most who do lose weight fail to keep it off.

People can preach how simple and easy it is to do forever, but the facts remain, if it was SO easy and SO simple the long term success rates would be VERY HIGH.

Instead they're very, very low.

People of good will should be WELCOMING scientific research that one day (no, not yet) may indeed provide cost effective and safe tools for people to actually achieve higher success rates (short of bariatric surgery which is the only thing science has to provide high rates of success, but VERY drastic). Instead of this rather mean spirited un-compassionate mockery and disdain towards scientific research about all the complexities of weight control issues.

as long as you call it a diet, you will regain the lost weight. Diet is not the right way on the long run. You really need to change the eating habbit. Don't eat deserts, never eat french fries, never eat burgers or pizza and no cheese. No soft drinks.This is enough to loose weight and keep it off. I advice no to start doing sports at the same time you want to loose weight. It makes you hungry and increases muscle mass which weight is higher than fat. If you follow these simple rules you will loose weight and you can eat as much chicken, fish, vegetables etc as you like. If you crave for sweets, allow yourself a small piece it gives the same satisfaction than the whole pack! Fruit is healthy but be careful contains a lot of sugar. All this is not easy but the reward is sweet :)

There are always excuses why people are fat.. guess what you can almost always alter it yourself. It just take action but people prefer to blame some outside reason why it wont happen.

Though there are things like difference in metabolic rate / differences in appetite and many others. Thing is nobody said it would be easy, if it was easy to be lean then everyone would be lean and muscular.

For some it is more difficult for some it is more hard, but EVERYONE who eat less will loose weight.

Not so unfortunately. I'm undergoing hormone manipulation treatment for prostate cancer. Basically the treatment kills my testosterone which is what feeds prostate cancer.. One of the many side effects is weight gain (particulary around the middle. I have to eat something like 34% less calories just to stop from gaining weight.

This is generally true. I 100% support HRT, Hormone Replacement Therapy for men. When dont need support; they have always had it as an option. For any man over 40 concerned about weight I would order a hormone profile first. Some are averse to hormones but when pushed they cant actually say why other than the negative perceptions of their abuse in body building. Most people I know (Males) take HRT from late 40s on. Most swear it changes their lives.

I agree anyone can lose weight with calorie restrictions but losing weight is not the goal -- KEEPING the weight off is the goal. People get into trouble when their body adjusts to severely restricted calories and then when they've lost weight, their body thinks they have been starving and has it's own wisdom about packing the weight back on when they start eating more "normally" again (metabolism reset). It is a well known fact the vast majority of people who lose weight do regain the weight, and it's too simplistic to judge them as having no will power ... their bodies are FIGHTING their efforts.

The problem is that they eat again what they think is normal.

But fastfood, icecream, coke as main source of food isn't normal. From some lean meat and vegetables and as desert some lower fat yoghurt with some fruits you can't eat yourself really fat. That should be the normal food.

People believe they make a diet once and than they can eat "normal" again. That doesn't work. Their normal food made them fat and will do it again, just faster than before.

Only a complete change helps

• Like 1

Not so unfortunately. I'm undergoing hormone manipulation treatment for prostate cancer. Basically the treatment kills my testosterone which is what feeds prostate cancer.. One of the many side effects is weight gain (particulary around the middle. I have to eat something like 34% less calories just to stop from gaining weight.

You are supporting what I tell: 34 % less calories made you to stop from gaining weight. So lack of Testosterone doesn't make you fat when you adjust your diet to it.

That is quite extreme, but I can tell you that bodybuilders who take testosterone will not burn 34% more calories on a day. If they did everyone would be taking it.

In your case its probably because your going to a real low number and then it affects it a lot. Even guys doing HRT don't see that kind of differences. I have said it before it would be more around the 1-5% range if that. What you are talking about is real extreme and your probably also a lot less active now as before.

Just my 2 cents.

• Like 1

I am so tired of hearing the calories in calories out argument.

Sorry it isn't that simple as there are way too many other issues potentially going on.

For example there are people who have very poor protein absorption and are very thin because no matter what they eat they are not really assimilating the food. Others have very sluggish metabolism.

There are hormone issues, there are insulin issues, there are genetic issues etc

People have different metabolic types. Some thrive on high meat diet whilst others thrive on a vegetarian diet whilst others thrive on a mixture of the two. So you need to know your metabolic type

Then you do need to have the discipline to avoid all the junk that is everywhere around you. That means no fried foods, no refined sugar, no white flour, no white rice.

I radically changed my diet over a year ago. I wasn't really fat before being around 84kg and 176cm. I was doing regular weight sessions so had a big of muscle going on but also some belly fat. I ate a low fat moderate carb diet with mainly chicken as protein.

I realised that this wasn't the ideal diet for me according to my metabolic type which is carnivore so I changed to eating red meat four or five times a week and eating lots of oils as well flaxseed avocado and organic butter.

I avoided all refined sugar , fried foods, white flour etc . I lost 10 kgs and am now pretty skinny I suppose but I have absolutely no stomach and I am eating as a typical day, a couple of boiled eggs on sprouted wheat bread for breakfast, lunch steak , salad , avocado. dinner chicken veggies brown rice and everyday bowl of cottage cheese with flaxseed oil mixed in fruit and nuts. I don't eat any snacks really but I have a big veggie juice between meals to keep me going.

• Like 1

Sorry it isn't that simple as there are way too many other issues potentially going on.

For example there are people who have very poor protein absorption and are very thin because no matter what they eat they are not really assimilating the food. Others have very sluggish metabolism.

There are hormone issues, there are insulin issues, there are genetic issues etc

People have different metabolic types. Some thrive on high meat diet whilst others thrive on a vegetarian diet whilst others thrive on a mixture of the two. So you need to know your metabolic type

Then you do need to have the discipline to avoid all the junk that is everywhere around you. That means no fried foods, no refined sugar, no white flour, no white rice.

I radically changed my diet over a year ago. I wasn't really fat before being around 84kg and 176cm. I was doing regular weight sessions so had a big of muscle going on but also some belly fat. I ate a low fat moderate carb diet with mainly chicken as protein.

I realised that this wasn't the ideal diet for me according to my metabolic type which is carnivore so I changed to eating red meat four or five times a week and eating lots of oils as well flaxseed avocado and organic butter.

I avoided all refined sugar , fried foods, white flour etc . I lost 10 kgs and am now pretty skinny I suppose but I have absolutely no stomach and I am eating as a typical day, a couple of boiled eggs on sprouted wheat bread for breakfast, lunch steak , salad , avocado. dinner chicken veggies brown rice and everyday bowl of cottage cheese with flaxseed oil mixed in fruit and nuts. I don't eat any snacks really but I have a big veggie juice between meals to keep me going.

The calorie in vs calorie out still holds Tolly and yes its simple and there are outside factors. But anyone eating less as he is currently doing would loose weight. So that kinda proves it. Now you will get my full support on other influences too as they are hard to deny and the 1-5% I am talking about really adds up over a long period.

I am quite muscular and lean too now but I always feel there is room for improvement that is why i keep reading and posting. I know there are more influences but the most basic one is people eat too much or the wrong foods.

Alone if you avoid all the junk, you won't get too fat. You may get a little belly but not really huge.

Than whatever diet....you eat less than you spend you get slim.....There is no record of someone who got fat with too less calories......

red meat four of or five times per week is a balanced diet I would say, something for my old parents who shouldn't eat too much meat.

I have red meat 7 times per week when I am on diet and only eat once a day at dinner. If I train more hard and eat lunch I eat 10-12 times per day red meat. For me a meal is some pork or beef.

get in tune with your body , then you wont need to count calories ...do you think our ancient ancestors counted calories ? they ate when they were hungry and so should we , however due to this age of food industrialization our bodies dont recognize the majority of " foods" .... if you eat real food , your body will recognize it as fuel , in particular good fats ..." low fat " is a marketing slur to hide more sugar elsewhere in the product ...fat is your friend ....your bodies premium fuel source is not carbs its healthy fats .... once you switch over to burning fat as i do , i eat when and what my body desires .....

an interesting point on this LCHF diet ... the winner of the last Kelloggs Ironman round in Australia..Ali Day ... does not eat carbs he follows a Paleo diet , bit embarrassing for the sponsor Kelloggs lol.... Gary Ablett Jnr the number 1 AFL footballer also has been on paleo for 2 years , the Aussie cricket team have switched over , the Melbourne football club ...

25% of your bodies fat is stored in the Brain ...feed the brain and see what happens.... it will change your life i can assure you ..

Alone if you avoid all the junk, you won't get too fat. You may get a little belly but not really huge.

Than whatever diet....you eat less than you spend you get slim.....There is no record of someone who got fat with too less calories......

red meat four of or five times per week is a balanced diet I would say, something for my old parents who shouldn't eat too much meat.

I have red meat 7 times per week when I am on diet and only eat once a day at dinner. If I train more hard and eat lunch I eat 10-12 times per day red meat. For me a meal is some pork or beef.

u eat red meat 10-12 times per day ? or per week ?

25% of your bodies fat is stored in the Brain

Are you sure about that percentage?

Any medical references?

Of course he is wrong.. logic dictates this

10% fat (real lean person) 80 kg = 8 kg of fat. 25% of that is 2 kg.. the average brain weighs 1300-1500 grams or so. So even if your brain is 100% fat his claim is wrong. And we are talking about a lean person.. just think of an obese person.

u eat red meat 10-12 times per day ? or per week ?

grrrr....per week.....I usually eat only 1-2 times per day.

(I can type faster than I can think....that shows sometimes)

Edited by h90

my apologies ...i made a mistake...my reference comes from a very good book, that everyone interested in health should read ... Grain Brain ..by Dr David Perlmutter MD....in actual fact 25 % of total cholesterol is in the brain... 70% of the brain is fat ... not as i said in a previous post ....

I lot of people have no idea what a good diet is or what they should eat or avoid.

And it is not just junk food it is sugar and white flour and fried food and over consumption of food that needs to be watched.

get in tune with your body , then you wont need to count calories ...do you think our ancient ancestors counted calories ? they ate when they were hungry and so should we , however due to this age of food industrialization our bodies dont recognize the majority of " foods" .... if you eat real food , your body will recognize it as fuel , in particular good fats ..." low fat " is a marketing slur to hide more sugar elsewhere in the product ...fat is your friend ....your bodies premium fuel source is not carbs its healthy fats .... once you switch over to burning fat as i do , i eat when and what my body desires .....

an interesting point on this LCHF diet ... the winner of the last Kelloggs Ironman round in Australia..Ali Day ... does not eat carbs he follows a Paleo diet , bit embarrassing for the sponsor Kelloggs lol.... Gary Ablett Jnr the number 1 AFL footballer also has been on paleo for 2 years , the Aussie cricket team have switched over , the Melbourne football club ...

25% of your bodies fat is stored in the Brain ...feed the brain and see what happens.... it will change your life i can assure you ..

your ancestors were happy if they could gain some body fat. And I in autumn they ate as many carbs as they could get, so they get fat and survive the winter.

Just now there is no winter without food in the cold (even less in Thailand) anymore. So we just eat the carbs out of instinct to gain some fat for the coming harder times. Just the hard times never come....

I lot of people have no idea what a good diet is or what they should eat or avoid.

And it is not just junk food it is sugar and white flour and fried food and over consumption of food that needs to be watched.

well sugar and white flour=junk food.

If you eat healthy you just don't do over consumption, or at least not massive, you might be 10 kg to heavy but not 50 kg.

I agree that many people have no idea, but in times were almost everyone has internet that isn't an excuse, even someone really silly can find the solution easily on the internet. It is not that they don't know, they don't want to know.

You are supporting what I tell: 34 % less calories made you to stop from gaining weight. So lack of Testosterone doesn't make you fat when you adjust your diet to it.

That's not what you said. I'm eating 34(ish)% less and not losing weight. But in fairness it's not a natural thing that's happening to me. Usually I would agree with you. But there a few circumstances where it doesn't happen, mine being one. In fact compared to my regular 58 year diet, I could eat less and still be putting on weight. I'm having to eat about 1300 calories a day to maintain weight and that's not normal. I should be 2000 and a maximum weight loss diet for a man is 1500 a day. It's horrible.

That is quite extreme, but I can tell you that bodybuilders who take testosterone will not burn 34% more calories on a day. If they did everyone would be taking it.

In your case its probably because your going to a real low number and then it affects it a lot. Even guys doing HRT don't see that kind of differences. I have said it before it would be more around the 1-5% range if that. What you are talking about is real extreme and your probably also a lot less active now as before.

Just my 2 cents.

I am on on a 3 year Hormone treatment programme and you're right I am not doing much in the way of anything at the moment. I'm a Krav Maga instructor so I've gone to being super active to totally inactive (I had to stop all training etc because of a TURP operation). Another side effect of this treatment is tiredness and lethargy so it's been a bit of a nightmare. I also know I'm losing lean muscle mass and I also know I have to get active as osteoporosis is yet another side effect. Right now I'm undergoing radiation treatment so that's just adding to my lot! I'd like to have a chat regarding HRT with you if you know a bit about it? I'm meeting my oncologist for a review on Tuesday so I want to talk about options, as my treatment involves killing ot managing my testosterone it's probably a non-starter! Cheers

Just my 2 cents.

I am on on a 3 year Hormone treatment programme and you're right I am not doing much in the way of anything at the moment. I'm a Krav Maga instructor so I've gone to being super active to totally inactive (I had to stop all training etc because of a TURP operation). Another side effect of this treatment is tiredness and lethargy so it's been a bit of a nightmare. I also know I'm losing lean muscle mass and I also know I have to get active as osteoporosis is yet another side effect. Right now I'm undergoing radiation treatment so that's just adding to my lot! I'd like to have a chat regarding HRT with you if you know a bit about it? I'm meeting my oncologist for a review on Tuesday so I want to talk about options, as my treatment involves killing ot managing my testosterone it's probably a non-starter! Cheers

I figured as much that it was not just the hormone difference but also going from real active to almost nothing (understandable if you have radiation treatment).

If your testosterone has to be limited then HRT would not be an option as that is injecting the stuff in your body that you are now trying to eliminate. But if the disease is gone.. then it might be an option. I know that most people who do HRT check first for prostate cancer as adding testosterone to that is a bad mix.

• Like 1

That's not what you said. I'm eating 34(ish)% less and not losing weight. But in fairness it's not a natural thing that's happening to me. Usually I would agree with you. But there a few circumstances where it doesn't happen, mine being one. In fact compared to my regular 58 year diet, I could eat less and still be putting on weight. I'm having to eat about 1300 calories a day to maintain weight and that's not normal. I should be 2000 and a maximum weight loss diet for a man is 1500 a day. It's horrible.

What is horrible on it?

Just my 2 cents.

I figured as much that it was not just the hormone difference but also going from real active to almost nothing (understandable if you have radiation treatment).

If your testosterone has to be limited then HRT would not be an option as that is injecting the stuff in your body that you are now trying to eliminate. But if the disease is gone.. then it might be an option. I know that most people who do HRT check first for prostate cancer as adding testosterone to that is a bad mix.

Yeah, you're spot on Robblok, prostate cancer differs as it's testosterone and not sugars (for example) that feeds it hence the testosterone annihilation I'm currently enjoying. Does anybody have any ideas on this? Once my radiation treatment is over mid-feb I'm going to hit the gym for light weights to rebuild my lean muscle mass and hopefully keep osteoporosis at bay. I have whey powder and cassein ready to go which means cutting yet more calories from my regular diet. Anybody have any thoughts on this or what more I can add please?

Yeah, you're spot on Robblok, prostate cancer differs as it's testosterone and not sugars (for example) that feeds it hence the testosterone annihilation I'm currently enjoying. Does anybody have any ideas on this? Once my radiation treatment is over mid-feb I'm going to hit the gym for light weights to rebuild my lean muscle mass and hopefully keep osteoporosis at bay. I have whey powder and cassein ready to go which means cutting yet more calories from my regular diet. Anybody have any thoughts on this or what more I can add please?

To be honest Whey and cassein (i do use them for ease of use) are only supplements. If you are already so low on calories, i would go for only solid foods like chicken to also keep you full when you eat them. You can use them to get your protein needs.

If you are done.. does that mean its gone and HRT is an option or getting your natural testosterone back is an option ?