Where can I buy garden fencing in CM?

SimonMrPics

Just moving house- and want to add some privacy to our new garden-

I've searched all (well most) of the garden/plant shops behind Tesco, but I haven't found one place that sells garden fencing :(

Any ideas?

(Bamboo fencing would work, picket wood fencing, or something more elaborate (like attached)).

post-169493-0-24923700-1421428472_thumb.

My advice is avoid using this type of fencing.

Some years ago we decided to surround our property with this cheap wooden fencing. About 80 baht a panel at the time. Only after a period of 6 months, although the wood was treated with a weather protector, it all began to crack and then within a year the whole lot rotted and fell to bits. So in the end we had a proper brick wall built, but that option can prove very expensive.

The only other cheaper alternative that comes to mind is a wire fence, but of course that does not give privacy, or just install a wooden fence and replace the panels as they rot.

I know there were some timber yards that sold these panels on the Hang Dong road, that`s all I know.

My advice is avoid using this type of fencing.

Some years ago we decided to surround our property with this cheap wooden fencing. About 80 baht a panel at the time. Only after a period of 6 months, although the wood was treated with a weather protector, it all began to crack and then within a year the whole lot rotted and fell to bits. So in the end we had a proper brick wall built, but that option can prove very expensive.

The only other cheaper alternative that comes to mind is a wire fence, but of course that does not give privacy, or just install a wooden fence and replace the panels as they rot.

I know there were some timber yards that sold these panels on the Hang Dong road, that`s all I know.

The cheap wooden fencing you talk about is bamboo, never heard of this being protected but I suppose you can protect anything rolleyes.gif anyway bamboo will last a lot longer than 6 months !

OP, you won't find fencing in shops as it is mostly made up on site, anything from bamboo strips nailed together to elaborate metal designs, just find the design and materials you prefer and try and find someone to make it for you !

Edited by alfieconn

Traditionally we think of fencing as timber based because Western climes are more considerate and timber is plentiful and cheap-ish.

Here the mindset is different, the wood/bamboo fencing panels are considered temporary and they would often go for concrete/masonry/steel/shera/conwood etc.

Really you need to be thinking in terms of any combination of the above.

Concrete posts are ridiculously cheap as is square section steel. If it was me I would set about concreting in some 4x4 concrete posts at 8 foot centres and fixing 2 or 3 1" square section rails (subject to your height) and then clad the rails with 8mm shera planks.

That makes a pretty robust fence, attractive when painted; offers privacy and keeps in or out whatever.

Other than that your options are fairly limited unfortunately.

My thoughts, exactly. Too lazy to type it all....

Make your own out of "smartwood", available from Home Mart. Far far cheaper and will not rot or get attacked by rodents/bugs etc. 3 metres of 10 cm wide costs 56 baht.

Went to Home-Mart near Central Festival-

Apart from doors, and a few kitchen cabinets, don't seem to sell wood. What is 'Smart wood' anyway?

Make your own out of "smartwood", available from Home Mart. Far far cheaper and will not rot or get attacked by rodents/bugs etc. 3 metres of 10 cm wide costs 56 baht.

Apart from doors, and a few kitchen cabinets, don't seem to sell wood. What is 'Smart wood' anyway?

It's a cement/fibre based product, as tough as cement but comes in different shapes/widths/colours etc. when it is painted you can't tell it apart from wood and some even has a wood grain on one surface hence it's ideal for patio flooring. I've used it to make trellis to fill the one metre gap under my house, glued or screwed it's very robust and easy to work with.

The SG Home Mart near me has a big display of the stuff, as I recall the Home Mart near Central Festival has also, back near the roof tiles/gutters. Also, Home Pro (Sansai) has a bunch of it also.

It's a cement/fibre based product, as tough as cement but comes in different shapes/widths/colours etc. when it is painted you can't tell it apart from wood and some even has a wood grain on one surface hence it's ideal for patio flooring. I've used it to make trellis to fill the one metre gap under my house, glued or screwed it's very robust and easy to work with.

The SG Home Mart near me has a big display of the stuff, as I recall the Home Mart near Central Festival has also, back near the roof tiles/gutters. Also, Home Pro (Sansai) has a bunch of it also.

This link may help:

http://www.pspcement.com/en/smartwood.html

@chiang mai

I'm looking at doing a fence re-bulid, and today i came across what i think you are descibing above, in the hardware place on Sridonchai Road that sells large uncut timber out the back.

Pretty much as described above, in 3 metre lenghts for 50 baht, though it was definitely in its orginal state and not painted, had had a shape applied etc.

What i'm wondering is just how weather proof this stuff is?

I asked the guy in my limited Thai if it could get wet, and be outside, and he said yes.

Any thoughts on the outside durability of this product?

Much thanks.

@chiang mai

I'm looking at doing a fence re-bulid, and today i came across what i think you are descibing above, in the hardware place on Sridonchai Road that sells large uncut timber out the back.

Pretty much as described above, in 3 metre lenghts for 50 baht, though it was definitely in its orginal state and not painted, had had a shape applied etc.

What i'm wondering is just how weather proof this stuff is?

I asked the guy in my limited Thai if it could get wet, and be outside, and he said yes.

Any thoughts on the outside durability of this product?

Much thanks.

I made trellis out of it and I installed it around the underside of my house to fill a one metre gap (the house is raised up by one metre) - in total, over one hundred metres. It weathers just fine, it gets wet on a daily basis when I turn the sprinklers on and there's no deterioration or degradation after two months of use - the stuff is basically cement although mine is painted and looks quite nice.

EDIT: it's difficult to fasten using screws, you need to use hardend screws although I found that liquid nail (glue) worked best. Also, you need an angle grinder to cut it, important to wear a dust mask whilst doing so since the dust cloud is intense.

Edited by chiang mai
  • Like 1

• 4 years later...