Getting uk passport for my Thai son when in uk

Hi I have a six mth old son born and registered in Thailand I am taking him and his mother to uk and wish to get a uk passport for my son is this possible when in uk or does it have to be done in bkk because he was born here? I will register his birth also when in uk, and if the passport is ok to apply for in the uk will I need same documents as when in Thailand I.e mothers house book etc translated any info will help thanks guys and gals .

I am not sure about the process in the UK. But I was not able to take my son to my home country without him having the passport. The Thai passport was not working as he has my citizenship by birth. Therefore embassy was not able to issue a visa for him.

You might want to clarify this with your embassy before fixing the plans to go to the UK.

I am not sure about the process in the UK. But I was not able to take my son to my home country without him having the passport. The Thai passport was not working as he has my citizenship by birth. Therefore embassy was not able to issue a visa for him.

You might want to clarify this with your embassy before fixing the plans to go to the UK.

It is the same for the UK; the embassy cannot legally issue a visa to a British citizen as that visa would restrict the time the British citizen could spend in the UK.

See UK Visa for child entitled to UK Citizenship.

So, Tregurtha, you will need to obtain a British passport for him before leaving Thailand. See Overseas British passport applications.

He then leaves/enters Thailand with his Thai passport and enters/leaves the UK with his British one.

N.B. You can register his birth via the embassy if you wish, but it is expensive and is not necessary. His Thai birth certificate along with a certified translation is acceptable for all UK purposes; including a passport application.

If you need to travel urgently then, as Tony M says in his pinned topic, you may be able to obtain an Emergency Travel Document for the child

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 2

So to clarify I already have thai passport and visa for him to go to uk he is registered here in thailand thai birth certificate etc which I already have translated.seeing he has a visa to go to uk from what I'm reading I can't apply for passport in uk when I'm there,presumably I'll have to do this on our return once he has exited uk ?

Reading bits here has me worried now as my son has already been issued a child visit visa is this going to cause me problems when they go through customs,upon reading it - it makes sense how can my son be issued a visa if he is British by decent confused.com

I'm not surprised they issued him with a visa when they shouldn't have!

I'm not sure about any problems your son may have at UK immigration being a British citizen seeking entry to the UK with a Thai passport and a UK visit visa.

I suspect none; all the Immigration officer will see is a valid Thai passport with a valid visa in it!l

Athough the IO will have access to the application should they wish to call it up on their screen; unlikely unless they have reason to suspect he is seeking entry for a purpose other than stated. Even so, as he is a British citizen, assuming you can prove it, they cannot refuse him entry.

I also suspect that you won't have any problems applying for his British passport once in the UK; though they may query why he did not apply in Thailand as he was born there.

Maybe ask the passport advice line.

Telephone: 0300 222 0000
From outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000
Textphone: 18001 0300 222 0222
Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm
Weekends and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm

Reading bits here has me worried now as my son has already been issued a child visit visa is this going to cause me problems when they go through customs,upon reading it - it makes sense how can my son be issued a visa if he is British by decent confused.com

If he's already got a visa then you may as well just register his birth in the UK and get his passport there as it will be cheaper and quicker than doing it in Thailand.

I don't know what you paid for the visa but it might even work out cheaper than getting all of that done here!

I very much doubt that the passport office will give you any grief; they can't very well refuse your son a passport whatever the case.

Edited by Trembly

A birth in England and Wales has to be registered within 42 days of the birth at the registry office covering the area where the birth took place, in Scotland within 21 days of the birth at any Scottish registry office and in Northern Ireland within 42 days of the birth at any Northern Ireland registry office.

The OP's son is 6 months old and was born in Thailand; he can't now register the birth in the UK unless he does so via the Bangkok embassy.

A birth in England and Wales has to be registered within 42 days of the birth at the registry office covering the area where the birth took place, in Scotland within 21 days of the birth at any Scottish registry office and in Northern Ireland within 42 days of the birth at any Northern Ireland registry office.

The OP's son is 6 months old and was born in Thailand; he can't now register the birth in the UK unless he does so via the Bangkok embassy.

That rule does not apply to foreign births.

There is no time limit on a foreign birth.

Edited by theoldgit
Flame removed.

Just a gentle reminder, there is no need to "register an overseas birth" in the UK,

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

You must register your child’s birth according to the regulations in the country where the child was born. They’ll give you a local birth certificate.

This local birth certificate should be accepted in the UK, eg when you apply for a passport or register with a school or doctor. You might need to have it translated and certified if it isn’t in English.

Once you’ve registered locally you may also be able to register the birth with the UK authorities. You can only do this if the child was born on or after 1 January 1983.

You don’t need to register with the UK authorities but it means:

• the birth will be recorded with the General Register Offices or at the National Records Office of Scotland
  • you can order a consular birth registration certificate

You can still apply for a UK passport for your child even if you don’t register the birth in the UK.

• Like 1

Thanks for u thoughts I'll give it a go when I'm there any way as I leave soon that's why I thought id get it done in uk, pretty sure I can do it but I know it's not something I have to do would just like him to be properly registered in uk also have uk birth certificate I'll try if it's a no I'll do in bkk when back thanks again

Although it seems the Visit Visa was issued when it should not have been, so I see no problems with the child being refused boarding flights to the UK, and can see the only problem being at "port of entry" should the IO ask too many questions, but then establishing that the visa is invalid because the child has right too (or is) British citizenship, they can hardly refuse him entry... as they would have established his right to enter as a British citizen.

That rule does not apply to foreign births.

There is no time limit on a foreign birth.

Correct, there is no time limit on registering a foreign birth with the Overseas Registration Unit of the FCO; but I was responding to Trembly's post immediately above mine; which suggested the OP register the birth once in the UK.

Apols if that wasn't obvious and confused anybody.

My mistake was in saying that he has to do so via the Bangkok embassy; as theoldgit says that is no longer possible and I should have said that if he wishes to do so he does it direct with ORU (see link provided by theoldgit above).

I stand corrected on one point, though; this can be done from within the UK.

Whether anyone would wish to pay the £105 fee plus £65 for a copy of the certificate plus postage for the return of the supporting documents when the foreign birth certificate with a certified translation, which you will need if you do wish to register the birth with the ORU, is sufficient for all UK purposes, including passport applications, is their decision.

I am certain one cannot register a foreign birth at a registry office in the UK; but will obviously accept that I am wrong if you, or anyone else, can provide a link to a UK government site which says one can.

Edited by 7by7

Whether anyone would wish to pay the £105 fee plus £65 for a copy of the certificate plus postage for the return of the supporting documents when the foreign birth certificate with a certified translation, which you will need if you do wish to register the birth with the ORU, is sufficient for all UK purposes, including passport applications, is their decision.

A valid reason is that a foreign birth certificate plus translation is not sufficient for all UK purposes. A British birth certificate helps provide a statutory excuse for employers and landlords. A foreign birth certificate does not.

A valid reason is that a foreign birth certificate plus translation is not sufficient for all UK purposes. A British birth certificate helps provide a statutory excuse for employers and landlords. A foreign birth certificate does not.

But surely a UK passport would be sufficient proof of status, I really wouldn't think that an employer or landlord would be asking to see a birth certificate after being presented with a passport as proof of identity and immigration status.

• Like 1

The government website suggests the foreign certificate is fine although recommends a translation if not in English.

You must register your childs birth according to the regulations in the country where the child was born. Theyll give you a local birth certificate.

This local birth certificate should be accepted in the UK, eg when you apply for a passport or register with a school or doctor. You might need to have it translated and certified if it isnt in English.

Once youve registered locally you may also be able to register the birth with the UK authorities. You can only do this if the child was born on or after 1 January 1983.

You dont need to register with the UK authorities but it means:

the birth will be recorded with the General Register Offices or at the National Records Office of Scotland

you can order a consular birth registration certificate

You can still apply for a UK passport for your child even if you dont register the birth in the UK.

https://www.gov.uk/register-a-birth

The OP asks about obtaining a passport for his child while in the UK.

The foreign birth certificate is fine for this purpose.

All the info is below.

https://www.gov.uk/get-a-child-passport/apply-for-your-childs-first-passport

What youll need

Signatures

The form must be signed by:

an adult with parental responsibility for the child

someone who can confirm the adult has parental responsibility for the child (called a countersignature)

your child (if theyre aged between 12 and 15)

If your child cant sign the form, you must include a covering letter with the application that explains why.

Check who can sign to prove you have parental responsibility for the child and what they have to do.

Photos

Follow the rules about passport photos - your application may be delayed if the photos are rejected.

The person who signs the application (countersigns) must also sign the back of one photo, confirming its a good likeness of the child.

Check who can countersign photos and what they have to do.

Documents you must send

You must send supporting documents with your application form that prove:

your childs identity

theyre eligible for a British passport

You must send original documents - photocopies wont be accepted.

Documents from the Thai mother such as yellow house book etc are irrelevant.

Everything you need to know is here;

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/309596/Guidance_notes_4_14.pdf

Edited by Jay Sata

A British birth certificate helps provide a statutory excuse for employers and landlords. A foreign birth certificate does not.

But surely a UK passport would be sufficient proof of status, I really wouldn't think that an employer or landlord would be asking to see a birth certificate after being presented with a passport as proof of identity and immigration status.
At present an expired UK passport provides a statutory excuse. (It has been established in law that a British passport is not proof of immigration status.) I'm not sure whether British citizens can be administratively removed from the UK. If not, it is still possible and not ludicrously difficult for UK citizens to enter the UK without ever having held a British passport. Remember, "A passport is a privilege, not a right". It is not inconceivable that a UK government may assume an arbitrary power to confiscate people's expired passports.

There are people of Pakistani origin registering the foreign births of their British by descent children just to be on the safe side.

Edited by Richard W

I thought the application form had to be countersigned by someone who has known the child/baby for a period of time, if the child is visiting the UK then no-one will know the child

When you need someone else to sign your form and photo

You must get your form and one photo signed if you’re applying for:

• your first adult or child passport
  • a replacement for a lost, stolen or damaged passport
  • a renewal of a passport for a child aged 11 or under
  • a renewal of a passport if your appearance has changed and you can’t be recognised from your existing passport

Who can sign forms and photos Personal relationship

The countersignatory must:

• have known the person applying for at least 2 years
  • be able to identify the person applying, eg they’re a friend, neighbour or colleague (not just someone who knows them professionally)

They can’t be closely related or involved with the person applying, eg:

• related by birth or marriage
  • be in a relationship or live at the same address as the person applying
Occupations

Countersignatories must work in (or be retired from) a recognised profession or be ‘a person of good standing in their community’, eg:

• accountant
  • airline pilot
  • articled clerk of a limited company
  • assurance agent of recognised company
  • bank/building society official
  • barrister
  • chairman/director of limited company
  • chiropodist
  • commissioner of oaths
  • councillor, eg local or county
  • civil servant (permanent), but not someone who works for Her Majesty’s Passport Office (HMPO)
  • dentist
  • director/manager/personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
  • engineer - with professional qualifications
  • financial services intermediary, eg a stockbroker or insurance broker
  • fire service official
  • funeral director
  • insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
  • journalist
  • Justice of the Peace
  • legal secretary - fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs
  • licensee of public house
  • local government officer
  • manager/personnel officer of a limited company
  • member, associate or fellow of a professional body
  • Member of Parliament
  • Merchant Navy officer
  • minister of a recognised religion - including Christian Science
  • nurse - RGN or RMN
  • officer of the armed services
  • optician
  • paralegal - certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals
  • person with honours, eg an OBE or MBE
  • pharmacist
  • photographer - professional
  • police officer
  • Post Office official
  • president/secretary of a recognised organisation
  • Salvation Army officer
  • social worker
  • solicitor
  • surveyor
  • teacher, lecturer
  • trade union officer
  • travel agent - qualified
  • valuer or auctioneer - fellows and associate members of the incorporated society
  • Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

https://www.gov.uk/countersigning-passport-applications

Edited by beano2274

<snip>

I also suspect that you won't have any problems applying for his British passport once in the UK; though they may query why he did not apply in Thailand as he was born there.

Maybe ask the passport advice line.

Telephone: 0300 222 0000

From outside the UK: +44 (0)300 222 0000

Textphone: 18001 0300 222 0222

Monday to Friday, 8am to 8pm

Weekends and public holidays, 9am to 5:30pm

I have just called the advice line and a very helpful woman told me that you can apply for your son's passport whilst he is in the UK.

You will need a suitably certified translation of his birth certificate; which you presumably have.

However, as beano2274 says above, there could be problems with the countersignatory.

She said that if applying in the UK then the countersignatory must be a UK resident.

But there is, she says, a way round this.

You take the child to visit a suitable person living in the UK who has known you for the required period.

This person signs to say that they have known you for x years and confirm that you have presented the child as yours.

They can then counter sign.

She was quite insistent on verifying the child's age, 6 months, so whether this is only allowed for infants or for any child, I don't know.

As this is a first passport the premium, same day service is not available. Whether you use the fast track service where you will get the passport within a week or apply via the Post Office check and send service or apply direct yourself is up to you.

Unless you need the passport urgently, I'd recommend the Post Office check and send; not only is it usually quicker than applying online or by post, but they will check the application and supporting documents for you and advise if anything needs correcting before they send it off.

Edited by 7by7
  • Like 1