Retirement Visa for Cambodia?

cigar7

Does Cambodia have a retirement visa, similar to Thailand? What is the recommended visa for old people (50+ or 60+) who want to stay long-time(1 year or more) in Cambodia?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NO

u can get a business visa on arrival for $35 valid for 1 month and extend it for a year in country for apx $290, Before ( last month) nothng was needed as far as money in the bak or any paperwork.

BUT they are going thru an upheaval now an requiring people with this extension to have WP's ( cost about $100 an medical checkup/blood test)

times they are achanging

I expect in a few months u will see the announcement of a retirement visa.

• 7 months later...

Sorry, this isn't true. You can get a business visa for $35 on entry and then a 1 year version (multiple entry) costs $285. If you are not working, you do not need a work permit (despite all the expat scare stories... there's no evidence whatsoever that Khmer authorities are cracking down on those not working - take it from me, I have a business visa and no work permit - no-one has knocked on my door to ask me for one, no-one has been asked when renewing a business visa for a copy of their work permit and no-one has been asked for a work permit to exit/enter the country).

Do I think it's likely that there will be a retirement visa one day? Possibly but given the pace of change here - we're talking years not months. As for the work permit, you can use a fixer to arrange one if it turns out you do need one (unlikely) and it will cost less than $300 including fixer fees. Still cheaper than a Thai retirement visa and there are no requirements to put any cash in a Cambodian bank account.

....Still cheaper than a Thai retirement visa

a thai 1 year EXTENSION is only 1,900 baht $54 good for a1 year stay in Thailand

a multiple re entry permit ( so u can come and go as u please) is another 3,800 $108 so total $162

ONLY 1,000 baht for a single re entry

so how is the Cambodian extension at $285/year cheaper??

a thai 1 year EXTENSION is only 1,900 baht $54 good for a1 year stay in Thailand

a multiple re entry permit ( so u can come and go as u please) is another 3,800 $108 so total $162

Yeah, if you do it legally... my experience is that most don't and are paying 25K Baht (no permit) for their retirement visas in Thailand...

Yeah, if you do it legally... my experience is that most don't and are paying 25K Baht (no permit) for their retirement visas in Thailand...

interesting, i know many Farangs on retirement extensions and not one has an agent do it for them, its so simple

Ah but add to the Thai visa fees the cost of travel to immigration in person each year, which if there is no office in your province, can be considerable . And that's not even going into collecting the required documentation first, which can likewise (for those of us living out in the boondocks) run into significant time and travel. The entire affair, including preliminary trip to the bank to get the bank letter, takes 2-3 days of my life every year and at least 1,500 baht in fuel.

Compared to just handing your passport to the nearest travel agent....

The Business visa does not excist. Its an Ordinary Visa which at present covers anyone long term work or non work. as stated earlier a work permit is not needed if you are not working.

Retirement Visas do not exxcist yet. But I do expect this to happen sometime?

• 5 months later...

Does anyone have any info about how a married foreign couple could stay long term? Would we both need to get the Business Visas for $285 each, or do they have another arrangement for married couples? My wife is Filipino, I'm Australian.

Right now we live in Thailand on retirement extensions.

Does anyone have any info about how a married foreign couple could stay long term? Would we both need to get the Business Visas for $285 each, or do they have another arrangement for married couples? My wife is Filipino, I'm Australian.

Right now we live in Thailand on retirement extensions.

2 x Business Visas and 2 x Work Permits (which are now being enforced). There are no family arrangements and no retirement specific options.

That's $35 (plus possibly a very small bribe) each on landing for a month, than $290 each for the 1 year extension (multi-entry and can be extended in country forever) and $150 each for the work permit.

There is no 90 day reporting. There is no requirement to leave Cambodia.You will not have to do a health check - but you will pay for it as part of your $150 for the work permit.

You must buy the ordinary (business) visa from Cambodian immigration on arrival in Cambodia. DO NOT try and buy it in Thailand or at the border from a tout. If you do - you will end up with a tourist visa which can only be extended for a single month and then you will have to do a border run.

Ah but add to the Thai visa fees the cost of travel to immigration in person each year, which if there is no office in your province, can be considerable . And that's not even going into collecting the required documentation first, which can likewise (for those of us living out in the boondocks) run into significant time and travel. The entire affair, including preliminary trip to the bank to get the bank letter, takes 2-3 days of my life every year and at least 1,500 baht in fuel.

Compared to just handing your passport to the nearest travel agent....

TOTAL cost of Thai retirement visa is less. If you start talking about adding cost of travel to an immigration office, then you also need to add the cost of travel to a travel agent - if you live in the wilds of Cambodia. Going to collect the required documents ? You can ask for the letter of income by email and they post it to you, and you need to fill in the application form for the annual extension. Really? How hard is it -- and how cheap? 1900 baht for the renewal once a year. Does the Cambodian visa include re-entries? In Thailand you can get a mulitple re-entry stamp at the same time you renew the extension - cost 3800Baht and still loads cheaper than Cambodia, and no fixer to bother you for "extras" or "lose" your passport ;)

I only post like this to highlight the tendency to not really make proper comparisons. ;)

Archived