BANGKOK

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

cigar7

Retirement Visa for Cambodia?

i "lost" a Cambodian visa and it was near the front of my 48 page us passport, years ago,

no one would place a stamp on that page even if i asked - it still shows there was something there as there is slight remainder of the immigration red stamp and the page has a different color from the glue.

Getting back to the cost of visa. 800,000 baht stuck at hardly any interest in a Thai bank is no fun. Even if it is just for 3 months and disregarding transfer fees etc. we look at 25K USD at practically zero interest. In Cambodia this sum could produce around 500 USD for 3 months (after 6 % tax).

Many forget this loss of income. On top of that your money is not stuck.

Thus, people who depend on bank accounts for their Thai visa will pay a lot more for their visa plus have a lot of banking charges and visits ahead of them in order to limit the losses. In a way the scenario outlined above is a best case scenario.

Getting back to the cost of visa. 800,000 baht stuck at hardly any interest in a Thai bank is no fun. Even if it is just for 3 months and disregarding transfer fees etc. we look at 25K USD at practically zero interest. In Cambodia this sum could produce around 500 USD for 3 months (after 6 % tax).

Many forget this loss of income. On top of that your money is not stuck.

Thus, people who depend on bank accounts for their Thai visa will pay a lot more for their visa plus have a lot of banking charges and visits ahead of them in order to limit the losses. In a way the scenario outlined above is a best case scenario.

Everyone will argue this from their own viewpoint. Using the income method in Thailand is totally painless, no cash tied up anywhere.

Hardly "totally painless". For me, would require a trip to Bangkok (6 hour drive), payment of fee to the Embassy, and lying in an assertion made to Embassy officials as I do not in fact met income criteria.

Even if I later do quality I will likely continue to use the 800,000 baht in the bank method as it is far easier and less expensive for me.

As you say, everyone's situation is different.

i use the combo method;

very easy

US counselor visits Phuket 4 x/year to get my letter $50--- 15 minute drive, get to see old friends i haven't seen in a year :-)

visit the bank to get my letter--- 200 baht

Money does not need to be seasoned

visit immigration pay my 1,900 + 3,800

set for another year

FWIW, BKK Immigration in recent years has begun requiring seasoning of bank deposit funds used when doing the "combo" (income plus bank deposits) method of qualifying for a retirement extension. Not all offices do, but BKK has joined the list of those that do.

My point was not to reject other opinions. I simply felt that applicants who depend on the bank deposit way should consider the loss of interest and possible banking fees in their calculations.

The rules work out differently in terms of cost for different people. The bank route is likely to impact those under the retirement age in their respective country.

In the end, there will be no simple answer fitting each and everyone. Once that point comes over it is helpful to people trying to figure things out. So we all add with our posts small stones to a big puzzle.

Just another item that might be of interesting: By maintaining a baht balance and being forced to change USD to Baht I would have lost thousands of USD due to changes in the exchange rate. Years earlier I would have gained. At the same time, the USD in a Cambo bank, better in various banks, generate an income substantially higher than any Thai bank would provide. While it is true that these factors are not dependent on the Thai immigration regiment, they still directly connected.

A retirement visa is indeed in the works. Was rumored to come out Aug 1 but no sign of it yet.

There is some info in the press and an explanation why it is delayed. What I do not get is why they do not publish more detail info in advance.

I m not sure if there is a real advantage coming with it.

Here is a bit info: http://www.tourismcambodia.com/news/localnews/21511/cambodia-woos-seniors.htm

Pricing will be another matter.

Perhaps the best way to learn more is to drop by lucky motors - our top experts.

I'm sure it will have no advantages (and many disadvantages) over the prior situation where people could just get an ordinary visa - but they have begun to require that people with those have work permits, and once the retirement visa option is in place I expect that will be more thoroughly enforced.

Retirement visas (more accurately, extensions of stay) are now being issued and can be gotten through Lucky Lucky Moto and other visa agents. Same price as the business/"ordinary" visa and no special requirements other than to be "old". I was told over 60 but they didn't seem too sure on that. The extension you get comes marked "ER" and should forstall any demands for work permit (you are not, of course, allowed to work).

I assume you'd need to first come in on an ordinary (not tourist) visa. Which most nationalities can get on arrival.

46 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Retirement visas (more accurately, extensions of stay) are now being issued and can be gotten through Lucky Lucky Moto and other visa agents. Same price as the business/"ordinary" visa and no special requirements other than to be "old". I was told over 60 but they didn't seem too sure on that. The extension you get comes marked "ER" and should forstall any demands for work permit (you are not, of course, allowed to work).

I assume you'd need to first come in on an ordinary (not tourist) visa. Which most nationalities can get on arrival.

That's quite a nice piece of good news to come down the pike today...

Especially on a day when the local headlines include:

Thaivisa survey: Half of expats have considered leaving Thailand in the last year

Dunno that I'm ready to pull the pin on Thailand and head for Cambodia just yet, a place that certainly has its own warts. But at least, getting some competition from neighbor Cambodia for the expat retiree community will PERHAPS spur Thai Immigration to consider how their policies and behavior negatively impacts perfectly ordinary, law-abiding expats here.

Enter on an ordinary visa ( ariport or land border  $35 and a photo)

extend before the 30 days is up atj ust about any travel agent for $280-290 for a year extension... multiple entry.

Living in Cambodia is not like living in Thailand, i lived there fora year and love visiting, BUT by far prefer it overhere