Wedding In Chiang Mai

Jaimie

Hello There,

I was wondering if anyone would know of what is popular in Chiang Mai or Northern Thai brides as far as attire is concerned.

We will be marrying in Chiang Mai soon and would like to work with my coordinator as to what colours and style of dress I would like. The problem is that of the photos provided ove the internet, they are not Lanna or Northern Thai style, and this is all that I really have to go by as far as direction. I would like to keep things authentic as we are having a Lanna ceremony. Oh, also, because we are having a reception back home, renting is not an option. Can anyone offer me some advice or even photos as to what is current? Maybe a few websites? I worry that I may choose something that makes me look more like a Thai dancer because of the vibrant colours that I like, instead of a bride. I want to look appropriate.

Any comments would be apreciated. Thank you!

A lot of the wedding dresses are Western-inspired. For my wedding we had a morning Lanna ceremony where my wife had a somewhat more Thai looking dress (a hybrid really. :o, then for the afternoon Western wedding it was a very Western styled affair.

So you could do the same: Get different dresses for the various occasions. Many Thais do.

Sorry if this isn't helpful about Lanna wedding dress styles.. But most Thais don't really worry about authenticity either, just something that seems fashionable, stylish and beautiful.

There's more than a few Thai wedding/bride websites around.. Google should turn up a bunch.

Cheers,

Chanchao

You could try the little Lanna clothes shop just across the Nakonping Bridge heading into town from Kaewnawarat Rd.

You can buy or rent. I paid to buy 10Kbaht for a handmade silk wife's design wedding dress for the missus and 5Kbaht for my white silk jacket. A couple of gay guys run the place and they lent us extras such as jewellery, trousers, a sword!! for the big day free of charge. They can also arrange for wediing pictures to be taken before the day in their shop as the have a Lanna background for the pictures.

I'm sure there are cheaper options but you get what you pay for.

I'm happy to send you pictures if you pm an email address.

Edited by Loaded

A coincidence maybe, but just last week I was asked how two expats go about getting married in Thailand.

As you didn't indicate, whether you were both expat or one a Thai, it made me think back on the conversation.

Along with Malaria, Dengue Fever, and several other serious maladies, marriage is one of the things I have tried not thinking about for about 30 years.

But the question is, can 2 falangs get married in Thailand and how do they go about recording this marriage.

Knowing this mob, god help me with the impending answers.

:o:D

Gonzo

Edited by Gonzo the Face

You could try the little Lanna clothes shop just across the Nakonping Bridge heading into town from Kaewnawarat Rd.

You can buy or rent. I paid to buy 10Kbaht for a handmade silk wife's design wedding dress for the missus and 5Kbaht for my white silk jacket. A couple of gay guys run the place and they lent us extras such as jewellery, trousers, a sword!! for the big day free of charge. They can also arrange for wediing pictures to be taken before the day in their shop as the have a Lanna background for the pictures.

>>Thank you for your advice. Oh yes please. Can you forward your photos to the following email address? [email protected]

Thank you...I really appreciate it.

Thanks for the advice. We will be sure to scout out the area when we get to Chiang Mai. It's nice to know that we have options. I did have a few more questions though. Can you find clothing or wedding/traditonal dresses from other regions in Chiang Mai? Assuming that you need to go to big centers like Bangkok or even Vientiene (Laos) to find more diversity?

Oh, by the way- we are from Canada. Our backgrounds are Laos-Vietnamese, and I French-Canadian. So, we have to squeeze in changing into 1 or 2 Laos wedding 'sinh' (skirt and sash). This is much like one of Thai dress styles- maybe similar to Northeast area. (?). We will have Lanna ceremony and lunch dinner for the wedding day. 1 week beforehand we travel to Laos to have a tea ceremony and reception, after the wedding we return to Canada for a post-wedding brunch.

In case you're wondering: yes, it involves a lot of careful' planning.

Loaded

Just out of interest why a sword :o

JohnB

Loaded

Just out of interest why a sword :o

JohnB

Well, I told my Dad that it was so I could look like a foreign Count.... He said "all that education and you can't even spell" :D

Seriously, for the pictures thay also dressed me in a turban so that I'd resemble a Lanna Hiso or prince. I just went along with what I was told. TiT.

Edited by Loaded