What's the current demand for new teachers?

wondercul

I know the administration of some of the schools is looking at ways of cutting down on the number of foreign teachers used in schools. This is especially true of Western teachers. Some schools are starting to use Native speakers only for English language instruction and to increasingly use Filipinos for other subjects (especially in Bilingual and mini-English type programs).

Filipino teachers are increasingly being used for homeroom teachers for KG level programs.

I am guessing that the need for Western native speakers is fairly high. We recently had the administration allow us to hire two native speakers for whom we had no position, something that it the past was unheard of. The Admin would never allow for such an expense unless they were in short supply.

I know the administration of some of the schools is looking at ways of cutting down on the number of foreign teachers used in schools. This is especially true of Western teachers. Some schools are starting to use Native speakers only for English language instruction and to increasingly use Filipinos for other subjects (especially in Bilingual and mini-English type programs).

Filipino teachers are increasingly being used for homeroom teachers for KG level programs.

I am guessing that the need for Western native speakers is fairly high. We recently had the administration allow us to hire two native speakers for whom we had no position, something that it the past was unheard of. The Admin would never allow for such an expense unless they were in short supply.

I was surprised at your post, I have a Filipino gf who has more than 20 years experience and teaches Maths/English. She is currently teaching in Pattaya area and finding it very difficult to receive a salary commensurate with her experience. Her English is very good.

If you were a English teacher, Then you would understand that Nothing Is Demanded,,,, It is Asked for only

Undercut, ( I am English) The Wording "DEMAND" means (I order you) ,,,, You do NOT Demand .....You ask

Edited by lucifer666

Yea, really. "Demand" is rude. Maybe command would be better. That's if you are hired. Teaching Thai's is euphoria if you don't take on too much of a load with commuting and hanging out with the boss and working 7 days, hahahha, and too many girlfriends, etc. Good luck. Chock dee, I mean, to you. Long live the King.

I was surprised at your post, I have a Filipino gf who has more than 20 years experience and teaches Maths/English. She is currently teaching in Pattaya area and finding it very difficult to receive a salary commensurate with her experience. Her English is very good.

Yep

No real surprise

This is why Thais are giving jobs to flips

Can pay them peanuts

Yea, really. "Demand" is rude. Maybe command would be better. That's if you are hired. Teaching Thai's is euphoria if you don't take on too much of a load with commuting and hanging out with the boss and working 7 days, hahahha, and too many girlfriends, etc. Good luck. Chock dee, I mean, to you. Long live the King.

One writes some rubbish and you jump in, agree with it and even add some more keenok to it.

Where did you read that the word demand is rude? The blind will never lead the blind. Google it.. facepalm.gif

• Like 1

Unfortunately for her, most Thai Admin people don't speak English well enough themselves to know if her English is very good or not. Also, for every job she applies for there will be 20 or so of her fellow countrymen also applying who will work for considerably less.

• Like 1

"Teaching abroad is an attractive option for many Filipino teachers, who stand to earn as much as 25 times their standard salaries in the Philippines. In Baltimore, which has been actively recruiting in the Philippines since 2005, Filipino teachers earn as much as $45,000 a year, as compared to an average of $3,500 earned for teaching public school in the Philippines (and slightly more for teaching private school)...

Sumber : http://philbasiceducation.blogspot.com/2014/05/teachers-salary-in-philippines-must-be.html#ixzz3PSHlRQqR

$ 3,500 per year in the Philippines for real teachers with a teacher's license from their country. Let's see, that's around 112000 baht a year, or 9,333 baht a month, considering the greenback on 32 baht.I know quite a few Filipinos, most of them couples where both have a salary of 25,000 baht, while some Thai teachers are on a starting salary of 9,000 baht.

I've just interviewed 14 Thai English teachers today, who applied for a teaching position at our school. The one woman we finally hired has an outstanding command in English, she's Thai and has quite a few years of teaching experience. She'll have a starting salary of 11,000 baht teaching in the EP.

I made a very difficult test, which most of the Thais passed. My colleague from the PI was asked to answer some questions, but he completely failed. Only one out of ten was right.

Our male Filipino teacher's English is really very questionable, compared to our new Thai colleague's English.

The Filipino can't even write a simple speech for a third grader and even tops the O-net test question makers from Bangkok.

And he makes more than twice of her salary per month. Would you consider that fair?

Show your girl girl friend this link and consider to move to the States.......wai2.gif

Unfortunately for her, most Thai Admin people don't speak English well enough themselves to know if her English is very good or not. Also, for every job she applies for there will be 20 or so of her fellow countrymen also applying who will work for considerably less.

It's really sad how many incompetent Thai head teachers with the power to hire and fire can't even differentiate between English and Tinglish.

But I've experienced that those "fellow countrymen" do not care about others. Backstabbing their own people seems pretty much common these days.

At some schools are whole family clans who really do all that only those they want get a job. Makes me really angry that those with 20 year experience don't get the position, while a youngish guy with a terrible English gets the job because he/she accepts 17 K.

They just don't get it, that an experienced teacher from the Philippines is actually teaching his/her students. I tend to believe that many school only want people who call everybody ( even the janitors) "Ajarn".They prefer those who clean the classrooms and stay from 7 am to 7 pm.

But I truly believe that it's the same scenario with foreigners. The brown tongued ones who always badmouth others seem to be more liked than those who're doing a great job and finally make students have fun learning English.

What a strange world we're living in this is.-facepalm.gif

Edited by lostinisaan

I need two teachers. All the applicants so far have not been qualified or native speakers. So, i would say the demand for experienced native speakers is high.

Note: I am of the opinion that a 1 month qualification with no experience is not qualified.

Edited by stubuzz

I need two teachers. All the applicants so far have not been qualified or native speakers. So, i would say the demand for experienced native speakers is high.

Note: I am of the opinion that a 1 month qualification with no experience is not qualified.

Would you let a guy with a "one month mechanic experience" fix your brakes? I wouldn't.- facepalm.gif

"Teaching abroad is an attractive option for many Filipino teachers, who stand to earn as much as 25 times their standard salaries in the Philippines. In Baltimore, which has been actively recruiting in the Philippines since 2005, Filipino teachers earn as much as $45,000 a year, as compared to an average of $3,500 earned for teaching public school in the Philippines (and slightly more for teaching private school)...

Sumber : http://philbasiceducation.blogspot.com/2014/05/teachers-salary-in-philippines-must-be.html#ixzz3PSHlRQqR

$ 3,500 per year in the Philippines for real teachers with a teacher's license from their country. Let's see, that's around 112000 baht a year, or 9,333 baht a month, considering the greenback on 32 baht.I know quite a few Filipinos, most of them couples where both have a salary of 25,000 baht, while some Thai teachers are on a starting salary of 9,000 baht.

I've just interviewed 14 Thai English teachers today, who applied for a teaching position at our school. The one woman we finally hired has an outstanding command in English, she's Thai and has quite a few years of teaching experience. She'll have a starting salary of 11,000 baht teaching in the EP.

I made a very difficult test, which most of the Thais passed. My colleague from the PI was asked to answer some questions, but he completely failed. Only one out of ten was right.

Our male Filipino teacher's English is really very questionable, compared to our new Thai colleague's English.

The Filipino can't even write a simple speech for a third grader and even tops the O-net test question makers from Bangkok.

And he makes more than twice of her salary per month. Would you consider that fair?

Show your girl girl friend this link and consider to move to the States.......wai2.gif

Huh? "command in English"??

post-226746-0-76014600-1421852306_thumb.

If you were a English teacher, Then you would understand that Nothing Is Demanded,,,, It is Asked for only

Undercut, ( I am English) The Wording "DEMAND" means (I order you) ,,,, You do NOT Demand .....You ask

"a"

say no more

post-226746-0-60138100-1421852517_thumb.

BS. That's why there's the TOEIC or TOEFL test requirement. Just hire the ones that score over 900. Max. is 990, mine was 975.

That said, the min. requirement score is 600. Very frustrating working with PI teachers because of this. Half the time you're busy rewriting their speeches and plays, and they can act hostile whenever you try to correct their spelling and grammar mistakes.

Edited by Impossible

Do you mean to say that all your applicants have been non-native speakers? (As well as having a qualification below what you require?)

If this is the case, then I suspect you might need to hire either a native speaker with a 1 month qualification, or a highly qualified non-native speaker.

Sounds like it wouldn't be too hard for a Brit like myself to find work then.

If I may deviate slightly from the topic, what standard of qualification are you looking for? And how much more will you pay for someone with a better qualification?

I'm asking to figure out the potential return on my potential investment.

Edited by wondercul

Please stay on topic, and be mindful that the following aren't on topic, and are potentially trolling and/or racism:

1/ Criticism regarding other poster's grammar/spelling or command of the English language.

2/ Criticism regarding the English ability of any particular nationality/race.

For a full list of the board rules, please feel free to consult the rules.

Edited by SlyAnimal
Reworded slightly

Thank you for a sensible quote far better than some of the others here. How easily some are distracted from the point of the posting. You are very correct, she goes to schools and often speak to Thais with no English and is rarely referred to the person some for making the decision. Even when that happens, little if any credence is placed on her experience, its all about getting cheap labour - screw giving the students a decent education.