Thai Police To Lay Out Brand New Measures

Jai Dee

Thai Police to lay out brand new measures to prevent influential people meddling in law

Royal Thai Police Spokesperson Achirawit Suphanphesat (อชิรวิทย์ สุพรรณเภสัช) said that the police will revamp its old laws and throw in new laws to be enforced in the social system in Ayudhaya (อยุธยา) Province. He said the province still has 'influential' people meddling with the force of law.

He said that officials are investigating in the murder case of Police Major General Kittisak Sathitpanich (กิตติศักดิ์ สถิตย์พานิช) who was shot recently. He said that the case will be closed soon.

As for Prime Minister Thaksin Shinawatra’s opponents, he said that they can show their views regarding democracy.

However, he insisted that he will stay neutral and fully provide security during soliciting vote period.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 18 August 2006

I am intrigued by the polite translation of "influential" people form Thai articles. Can any translators let us know if there is a better word?

I dunno- gangster, criminal a***hole, something like that. It's such a polite word.

I mean Mother Theresa, Albert Schweitzer and Gandhi were all "influential".

I dont like "dark forces" either though I guess it has spiritual connotations in Thailand. In the west it's a bit DC Comics.

Then again dark forces is sinister, they are always there generation after generation, untouchable and pulling the strings.

They, like the poor, are always with us...

This looks like it’s going to be a fun thread. :o

I was wondering if this is Thaksin’s way to take some bite out of the courts as it looks like he may have some teeth marks soon on his a**.

One question is can the police make their own laws or is that parliaments job?

Edited by John K

One thing is for sure, a single policeman can not act on his own, he must stand there like a robot until a superior officer shouts anything, even though the order makes no sense whatever the situation is. Look at the protesters getting attacked by pro-Thaksin mobs while policemen stand by and watch...