Gossip

Nigel M

The food was good, and the owner seemed like a fair enough fellow, but his missus there must have thought I didn't speak thai, and for the full hour i was there she was on and on with her girlfriend talking rubbish about every other girl in town, the girlfriends of other farangs, etc. A right gossip hag! It was like listening to a Thai soap opera, but bloody worse! And the whole time she was looking up and down MY missus thinking God knows what.

Last time I spend me pension there!

Dear Nigel, 'gossip' in Chiang Rai may well be worth a topic in this forum, but as soon as persons are mentioned or clear indications are given who is meant there is a risc that the discussion in itself comes close to gossip as well.

So is this is something to talk about, then in general terms please.

Limbo

Edited by Limbo

The food was good, and the owner seemed like a fair enough fellow, but his missus there must have thought I didn't speak thai, and for the full hour i was there she was on and on with her girlfriend talking rubbish about every other girl in town, the girlfriends of other farangs, etc. A right gossip hag! It was like listening to a Thai soap opera, but bloody worse! And the whole time she was looking up and down MY missus thinking God knows what.

I`m sure I just read this post somewhere else???

Seems to me that there definitely is a gossip in town. :o

Edited by Limbo

:o Gossip? Thai Women? Oh my never, never! :D Sorry you had to experience it, I wounder sometimes when I'm sitting somewhere and I hear farang, farang, farang! I just blow it off as words are just words? Oh and the fact that I have no clue what there yagging about! :D

Edited by Limbo

Dear Nigel, 'gossip' in Chiang Rai may well be worth a topic in this forum, but as soon as persons are mentioned or clear indications are given who is meant there is a risc that the discussion in itself comes close to gossip as well.

Limbo

*****Sounds merely like someone had a bad experience at an establishment and is merely passing on a critique of the atmosphere, thus warning patrons.. JK

Limbo

Imagine what was said after you left!

:o Mymechew

As we all know, gossipping only takes place, when the persons (or representatives of a group) which are 'reviewed' are not present.

When they would join the the gossipping community the subject will be changed. When they sit down within listening distance people will start to whisper.

The lady concerned might belong to the segment of the Thai population which doesn't expect

(often even doesn't appreciate - 'farang roo maak') when a foreigner understands Thai. That's why she didn't change the subject or started to whisper.

Very unprofessional for a person who works in a public place that is frequented by foreigners.

Thank goodness the overwhelming majority of Thai people appreciates that foreigners show respect for Thai culture and express that among others by learning Thai.

Referring to Mymechew's posting I am indeed afraid that unknown_user could endure a similar horrible experience as Nigel in overhearing a conversation of foreigners which belong to a comparable segment of the expat population.

Gossipping is done by men as well as women, by foreigners as well as Thai people, by young and old, but in both Thai and western culture it is considered impolite and 'not done'.

Limbo :o

I have heard a couple of men foreigners gossiped or i could say looked down on Thai women, coz they didnt know that i know English ,even my grammar skill is bad but my listening skill is the best! sorry to them that i had to make them stop gossiping at that time and emberrasing themself without saying a word .

~Unknown~

I have heard a couple of men foreigners gossiped or i could say looked down on Thai women, coz they didnt know that i know English ,even my grammar skill is bad but my listening skill is the best! sorry to them that i had to make them stop gossiping at that time and emberrasing themself without saying a word .

~Unknown~

Speaking of gossip . . .

Unknown User I heard a rumor that you have accepted a well paying position in Bangkok. I do hope you won’t forget our many intimate moments together. I appreciate your invitation to come for a visit but I heard that you also invited Limbo and Erg. Is this true?

:D Mymechew :o

hahaha and Rai too ,for tennis You can join us too . i donno who u are but i think my old dude friend told u about my job in bkk but thats ok. i would be happy to know all of u too but problem is im too far from town.. only around at uni.. and im shy... hehehe that why im staying unknown.. make an appointment with me in advance then..i will manage my time .

PS. really i am shy...,... hehe

~ unknown~

I do know of that woman gossiper owner of /name removed/ as well.

She is in fact a monster of negativity in that her jealousy rears it's head in the form of lies, mean statements, and trouble causing for other's relationships.

Steer clear, she's damaged goods. There's anger begind the smile.

Dear Jonkeyes, this is certainly not the funniest moment of moderating, but I had to remove the name again.

I heard a similar story from other sources, so I sooner would call it a warning than gossipping.

Gossipping is mostly larded with lies (see the funny example of Mymechew).

It can damage relationships and cause a lot of annoyance and distress.

Gossip comes close to libel and slander.

Limbo

Edited by Limbo

hahaha and Rai too ,for tennis You can join us too . i donno who u are but i think my old dude friend told u about my job in bkk but thats ok. i would be happy to know all of u too but problem is im too far from town.. only around at uni.. and im shy... hehehe that why im staying unknown.. make an appointment with me in advance then..i will manage my time .

PS. really i am shy...,... hehe

~ unknown~

Okay, we’ll keep our relationship a secret but no gossiping with the old guys – they’ll be jealous.

:D Mymechew :o

She is in fact a monster of negativity in that her jealousy rears it's head in the form of lies, mean statements, and trouble causing for other's relationships.

Dear Jonkeyes, this is certainly not the funniest moment of moderating, but I had to remove the name again.

I heard a similar story from other sources, so I sooner would call it a warning than gossipping.

Limbo

The best way to deal with this situation – in a small town like Chiang Rai - is to stop going to this particular place. Malicious gossips eventually get what they deserve.

:o Mymechew

Limbo

The best way to deal with this situation – in a small town like Chiang Rai - is to stop going to this particular place. Malicious gossips eventually get what they deserve.

:D Mymechew

You mean that they end up getting on the internet and join a forum :o:D

Gossip, slander, defamation and libel aim to damage the reputation of a person or a group by saying or writing things about them which are not true.

This morning I came across an interesting example concerning myself (I got a personal copy of the letter, so I feel free to quote):

I have never been rude to Limbo in public or online and I have come to his defence when many and I mean many people slander his lifestyle here in C.R. I have stated to them that people have there problems and casting stones isn't productive.

It was sent to a person who doesn't live in Chiang Rai and doesn't know me personnally.

Gossip, slander, defamation and libel aim to damage the reputation of a person or a group by saying or writing things about them which are not true.

This morning I came across an interesting example concerning myself (I got a personal copy of the letter, so I feel free to quote):

I have never been rude to Limbo in public or online and I have come to his defence when many and I mean many people slander his lifestyle here in C.R. I have stated to them that people have there problems and casting stones isn't productive.

It was sent to a person who doesn't live in Chiang Rai and doesn't know me personnally.

Do,tell us more :D

Who sent it to you because he felt you needed to know what was being said about you.

Gossip can be very damaging if misconstrued and/or taken out of context.

And it is my experience that those who gossip always get it back ten-fold, when the inhabitants of their little world realise what's really going on... :o

Som num naaaa.......

I think that there is a huge difference between gossip and slander.

To gossip about something isnt all that bad! It is only when stories are misconstruied that rumours are started. To gossip is purely sharing of imformation. After all it is a small town gossip is bound to happen. To make assumptions or to slander however are certainly uncalled for.

There certainly are far to many people that make judgement of others over something they have heard (not know) about.

My point is, these people slandering Limbo about his lifestyle, do they really know about his lifestyle or have they heard rumours of misconstruid truth and believe it to be fact?

There is a great little Thai saying that sums this up!

ไหว้หน้าหลอกหลัง wai nar lok lung ( people wai to your face and lie and back stab when your back is turned)

In The Rai!

Edited by In the Rai!

• 1 month later...

Limbo

Interesting post Erg.

They say there are no secrets in Chiang Rai, and that may well be true

But misinformation - well, that's another thing entirely!!! :o

always consider the source, and try to have more than one :D

So true Joel,

I always believe that you should get your information first hand. No matter who the source is, if you are going to form an opinion than do so by your own encounters or experiences not someone elses because as we all know there are 2 sides to every story.

In The Rai!