Embarrassed To Admit.........

Maverick

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i live in Bangkok, what's wrong with that, embarassed about what, if you're embarassed why are you here.

I am not 'here' yet but plan to move to Pattaya soon - when I told a few people they smirked and expressed surprise that it wasnt Phuket or Samui - as though they looked down on Pattaya. I am not particularily bothered by other peoples opinions but wondered what Pattaya Residents thought thats all. Pleased to see so many PROUD Pattaya residents about.

I have no problems saying I live in Pattaya, oh except that I don't. I live half an hour drive north. A lot of western folk do not get the pronunciation right of where I live, even people who have stayed here a long while, so it is easier to say Pattaya.

I had a fight with a guy I was working with in S'pore a while back who was trying his hardest to tell me how to pronounce the town, I asked him where he lived and he says the U.K. enough said. :o

I think this is a real issue for expats and also in the choice of where to live in Thailand. Pattaya does indeed have a very sleazy reputation all over the world, more than Bangkok, and definitely more than Phuket and CM. I would imagine it would be a source of gossip to announce to "respectable" friends and relatives abroad that you live in Sin City.

I am still shopping for an area to move to, but I actually consider the embarassment factor a feature, because it seems that it tends to keep the prices down compared to places like Phuket and Samui (though granted they have real beaches, Pattaya area does have its advantages). The type of upscale folks who can afford a sea view villa in Phuket (not knocking it if you can afford it) would likely never move to Pattaya or even Jomtien.

The type of upscale folks who can afford a sea view villa in Phuket (not knocking it if you can afford it) would likely never move to Pattaya or even Jomtien.

I disagree Thaiquila, I certainly could afford to live anywhere I like but I have chosen to live here. Granted we may look at something on the beachin Bang Saen later, or an orchard in CM. But this par of Thailand is great. I am just far enough out of Pattaya to avoid the tourists, yet close enough to motocy taxi it in to have a great night. I know there are more beautiful parts of Thailand, but we have a hard working local breed of people here that treat us farang well.

My little town has many pubs, infact a mate of mine who has the beach house in Samui was here recently to say hello, his wife was trying to talk him into buying in one of the moo barns. We have a great night life in Sri Racha that is not sleazy at all, yet as I said I can jump on a motocy and be in walking street in 30 mins if I so desire (and the wife is asleep :o ).

I'm embarassed enough admitting to friends, family, and co-workers that I take a weekend in Pattaya every now and then...I can hardly imagine the shame and embarassment if I had to admit I actually LIVED there!

pvtdick

no disrespect but what a load of rubbish.

i can afford to live in phuket, samui etc, but i would'nt leave pattaya to live there,

all the people that turn up their noses and smirk when pattaya is mentioned,

DON'T COME HERE THEN

i've had comments in the uk about pattaya being filthy dangerous etc and they've never even been here.

pattaya is a big place with alot to offer and it should'nt be judged on certain areas like soi 6 etc

Guys, I was being mostly tongue-in-cheek.

But seriously, though, when I go to Pattaya for a weekend it's for a dirty weekend. When people I know -- both tourists and expats -- go to Pattaya for a weekend, it's for a dirty weekend. The people I know who have chosen to settle there have done so because 1) it's cheap and warm and 2) there's hot and cold running sex there.

I can't for the life of me think of any other reason one would want to go to Pattaya. Oh yeah...MINI SIAM!!! :o

Guys, I was being mostly tongue-in-cheek.

But seriously, though, when I go to Pattaya for a weekend it's for a dirty weekend.  When people I know -- both tourists and expats -- go to Pattaya for a weekend, it's for a dirty weekend.  The people I know who have chosen to settle there have done so because 1) it's cheap and warm and 2) there's hot and cold running sex there.

I can't for the life of me think of any other reason one would want to go to Pattaya.  Oh yeah...MINI SIAM!!!  :D

:D My wife goes every now and then...now where is she, jeez she has some explaing to do :o

oh hang, she just appeared with a Chang, oh thank you darling :D

I guess a few lads are missing the point - Pattaya is a city like any other. Do I think whenever anyone visits Amsterdam that they are smoking and whoring? No I don't I think that at all!

1) TF lives there.

2) Cheaper than Bangkok

3) Nice Beach - just a motorboat away

4) Diving

5) Golfing

6) Great Nightlife

List can go on- yes certainly you'll have people who go there for TBG, but there is much to see/do.

I'm not ashamed to say I live in Pattaya. Never entered my head. Its a great place to live and run a business. Pretty, it ain't. But we don't live here for that reason. Give me Pattaya any day rather than BKK.

• 2 weeks later...

Mavis

Just bite your lip and get on with it. Pattaya is a seedy place for perverts and people who are so sad that they cannot get a woman that they settle for a prostitute.

They like you are then in denile telling all there friends that the female they are with was on holiday or at best a cashier.

When a Farang takes on a prostitute as so many do, 2 instant liars are born as they both deny that the female he is with was everything but a prostitute and the female at best will admitt to being a cashier, the lie will last untill the big bust up.

Or in your case Mavis you seem to have gone the whole hog and married one, children as well, loser.

Stay in Pattaya with the perverts, why would anyone go to Pattaya except to get a prostitute or ladyboy, Samui and Phuket are not far off this now. Pattaya after all is the biggest brothel in the world.

chaaman

you are talking out of your arse. are you friends with that other ponce sweetest mango.

like britmaverick i married a thai and she worked in a bar before, so what, she's never denied it, does it make her a bad person, NO

what qualifications have you got to say this?

did you come here before but were so sad and bitter that you could'nt find a partner.

keep your opinions to yourself especially when you slag off other peoples families.

crawl back into your hole. <deleted> :o

Dave- No bother mate. I feel sad for those who judge and they do not have a clue. My only assumption is the sad muppet is a bit bitter by being stung from a BG relationship that didn't go to his liking and he wants everyone who has found a good thai woman to be miserable git like himself.

Da*n I hate that, connection goes away just when I was writing chaaman doesn't deserve respect because he doesn't give any. :o I'ld pay to see him GAG until he dropped and I don't think 16 floors would be far enough. :D:D Gotta be the most deserved person to GAG. :D

I would just like to add that I have been living with an ex-bar girl for a year now.The night we met she was dancing on stage. She explained to me that this was the first time she had danced and was only doing it to help out one of her friends. She was normally the cashier and along with the fact that she told me she was still a ' wirgin ' I feel very lucky to have found her when I did.

I am so lucky to be blessed with blissful ignorance. :o

Guest chingy

i just came back from a 3day stay in Pattaya, stay at the Marina Ambassader hotel, most relaxing 3 day stay, the weather is hot but the pool are great, eat some seafood (crab leg), for those of you that live down there, you have the most relaxing life so enjoy to the fullest