Bacon bones

masuk

Searches for bacon bones has not helped: I want to make a few litres of thick pea and ham soup.

For this I need some smoked pork hocks and pork knuckles, with a bit of meat on them of course.

Anyone got any ideas?

Also dried green split peas. Are these easy to find in C.M.?

I wish I had a picture of what you have. Initially after butchering the pig you have ribs with a lot of meat, or call it a thick slab of meat with ribs on one side.

When trimmed off, the ribs are cooked as spare ribs, usually on a BBQ. The meat is made into bacon. The bones can be trimmed and the raw meat seared in a skillet for flavor and then cooked into the soup. I would marinate the meat in salt and pepper and maybe garlic overnight before searing. Searing caramelizes the meat and adds a flavor you won't get in the pot of water.

Hocks and knuckles don't come from the same part of the pig that the bacon does. They are cheap if you can find a butcher shop or if they sell them in the market.

I use a side of pig which is the bones and bacon, and I love to cook the spareribs on a BBQ and just eat them. I use a sweet and sour tomato based sauce which has a little vinegar and brown sugar and salt, pepper and garlic for flavor. I keep turning and adding the sauce as it BBQ's.

Now if you just want ham for your soup any will do. The reason people use the knuckles etc. is to milk the last bit of flavor from the pig. If I did that I would bake the knuckles for a while until browned to improve the flavor.

Sorry if I confused you.

G & M german resturant has smoked pork hocks on the menu and for sale out of their freezer. i think this may be what the op is referencing. i use them for ham and beans, ham and pea soup and the hocks as a main meat dish

• Like 1

Big C on the super highway ( rd 11) sell smoked hock joints.I am sure if you cooked them down in boiling water and let them cool.Put them in a fridge so when they are cold you can skim all the fat off and use the lovely meat in your soup.They sell them loose right by the meat counter. Pea and ham soup.....yum yum!

Big C on the super highway ( rd 11) sell smoked hock joints.I am sure if you cooked them down in boiling water and let them cool.Put them in a fridge so when they are cold you can skim all the fat off and use the lovely meat in your soup.They sell them loose right by the meat counter. Pea and ham soup.....yum yum!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.

It's just the season for such a luxury. I like to boil up the bones with meat on, and that gives extra flavour.

Where would I find the German restaurant?

See this and drool!!

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/nov/13/how-to-make-perfect-pea-ham-soup-recipe

Just seen seen your link and all I can say is wow! There is a decent genuine German restaurant on the the old CM/Lampoon road. Cross over the outer highway and it is about 1k on the left.He has a German sign outside his restaurant and does the most amazing buffets on the weekend.He also has a menu for good food during the week.Please try it and If you cant find it I am sure someone here can guide you to it.

• Like 1

It's just the season for such a luxury. I like to boil up the bones with meat on, and that gives extra flavour.

See this and drool!!

http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/wordofmouth/2014/nov/13/how-to-make-perfect-pea-ham-soup-recipe

G-M Resturant

GPS 18.797332, 99.14167 (G&M German Sausage, Doi Saket, Chiang Mai)

G-M Restaurant
269, Tambon Mae Hoi Ngoen, Amphoe Doi Saket, Chiang Mai, 50220
Thailand
G-M Restaurant269, Tambon Mae Hoi Ngoen, Amphoe Doi Saket, Chiang Mai, 5022050220Thailand
+66 53 840 531

Green split peas, McGarrett brand, you can buy at Rimping (Mae Jo Road)

Also at Makro, Yok.

German Meat I have been buying at Rimping - called "Haxen" and delicious!

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I've also located rookwurst which goes so well with pea and ham soup! They also make this soup.

Handmade Dutch Specialties Co., Ltd.
Chiang Mai

See this and drool!!

G-M Resturant

G-M Restaurant
Thailand
G-M Restaurant 269, Tambon Mae Hoi Ngoen, Amphoe Doi Saket, Chiang Mai, 5022050220Thailand
+66 53 840 531

Thank you for the GPS Coordinates. Before I've given up to find it.

Do he also make Salami?. I'm tired of the TGM Salami. Dry and no taste.

See this and drool!!

G-M Resturant

G-M Restaurant
Thailand
G-M Restaurant 269, Tambon Mae Hoi Ngoen, Amphoe Doi Saket, Chiang Mai, 5022050220Thailand
+66 53 840 531

Thank you for the GPS Coordinates. Before I've given up to find it.

Do he also make Salami?. I'm tired of the TGM Salami. Dry and no taste.

Yesterday I passed a shop in Huay Keow Road not far from Canal Rd. The were called North Farm Produce or something like that.

They have a sign on the window selling pork, turkey,butter etc. Sounds interesting and I'll check it out.

See this and drool!!

No need to go there. Rimping sells their stuff at all its stores. The big stores carry a pretty complete collection. Usually they have the ham hocks.