17 foreign ‘English teachers’ arrested in Chiang Mai for working illegally

Jonathan Fairfield

To be honest, I'll start caring if I see someone get prosecuted, and not before. So far as I am aware working illegally results in deportation not blacklisting, so it's not a huge risk for someone who wishes to stay long term in Thailand anyway. They could just come back and restructure their arrangements.

Right now, whether earning income online without a work permit is legal or not is honestly the last of my worries. Slightly behind whether or not the tenderloin my wife picks up from the market is tender or not.

Speaks volumes that the people who actually seem to care are neither the authorities, nor 'digital nomads' themselves.

nice to hear you finally own up doing illegal stuff.

hope for you get away with it for a long time

• Replies 737
  • Created
  • Last Reply

^ See post #714:

'being paid in USD, alone, and sending that offshore sourced money to Thailand to spend here' - is legally not subject to Thai income tax, so long as it is kept out of Thailand until the next tax year.

^ See post #714:

'being paid in USD, alone, and sending that offshore sourced money to Thailand to spend here' - is legally not subject to Thai income tax, so long as it is kept out of Thailand until the next tax year.

And how many DM are remitting their incomes to Thailand directly after being paid and some are even being paid directly into Thai bank accounts ? The currency being remitted is irrelevant, further seeing as many use their on line working as a means to support their life in Thailand they are not keeping the cash outside Thailand for the tax year its earned its a case of in and out

it isn't prohibited, you only need a work permit and pay tax

No work permit for online bloggers exists.

If one registered a Thai company one could get a WP for just about anything including blogging seeing as its not on the restricted occupations list

the basic rational applied would be if its not on the restricted list,a WP can be obtained for a foreigner, therefore the only occuptions where no WP exits are those on that list ;)

And dont remember seeing on line work as a restricted occupation ergo a WP could be granted for on line work for a foreigner ;)

If one registered a Thai company one could get a WP for just about anything including blogging seeing as its not on the restricted occupations list

the basic rational applied would be if its not on the restricted list,a WP can be obtained for a foreigner, therefore the only occuptions where no WP exits are those on that list ;)

And dont remember seeing on line work as a restricted occupation ergo a WP could be granted for on line work for a foreigner ;)

And in fact i know someone who has an on line business and deals with international clients only and he has a Thai limited company and a WP to go with it so he managed to do it

I also know free lancers who have set up a limited company and have a Thai WP, and freelance exclusively to international clients and invoices his customers through said company and the work is not even carried out in Thailand

But work permits for marketing managers do. I know one such foreigner who spends their entire working hours online marketing a large and prominent Thai hotel chain. That person is employed by the hotel chain and has a work permit.

Except no has managed to get a work permit for online work were the money is paid outside of Thailand and there is no company holdings or connection to Thailand .

They have been told that there is no work permit provision for that as you aren't actually working in Thailand. As in working in a fixed office or company space!

Except no has managed to get a work permit for online work were the money is paid outside of Thailand and there is no company holdings or connection to Thailand .

They have been told that there is no work permit provision for that as you aren't actually working in Thailand. As in working in a fixed office or company space!

Could we suggest there is no provision because they dont want them doing it ?

But who has told them this any way ?

I remember reading a question by an Aussie guy to Phuket DOL/immigration in one of the rags and the question stated that he intended staying in Thailand for a period, think it was 6 months and intended servicing his clients in Aussie on line while he was staying in Thailand and was told catagorically that he would require a WP to do what he intended to do, the link to this question has been posted many times on TV and if you look you will find it, it zticks in my memory because it was the first i had seen such a catagoric answer to this question from some one in DOL

the basic rational applied would be if its not on the restricted list,a WP can be obtained for a foreigner, therefore the only occuptions where no WP exits are those on that list wink.png

And dont remember seeing on line work as a restricted occupation ergo a WP could be granted for on line work for a foreigner wink.png

I remember reading a question by an Aussie guy to Phuket DOL/immigration in one of the rags and the question stated that he intended staying in Thailand for a period, think it was 6 months and intended servicing his clients in Aussie on line while he was staying in Thailand and was told catagorically that he would require a WP to do what he intended to do, the link to this question has been posted many times on TV and if you look you will find it, it zticks in my memory because it was the first i had seen such a catagoric answer to this question from some one in DOL

And yet with no Thai entity you cannot get a work permit!

the basic rational applied would be if its not on the restricted list,a WP can be obtained for a foreigner, therefore the only occuptions where no WP exits are those on that list wink.png

And dont remember seeing on line work as a restricted occupation ergo a WP could be granted for on line work for a foreigner wink.png

And yet with no Thai entity you cannot get a work permit!

Ok but lets ask this question how many countries in world offer work permits or work visas to tourists ie some one who has no right of abode in a country without sponsorship from a legal entity in that country ?

If have worked in over 25 countries where i dont have right of abode and have had to have sponsorship from a local entity on every occasion

Look at this another way do you think a Thai national could just rock up in the UK and start working without a WP or Visa ? No they need sponsorship - thailand is no different

The DN's if they were smart as regards Thailand would at least get themselves a B Visa, although not fully legal at least they could say they are exploring business possibilites of setting up a Thai company and although subject to interpretation in this instance a work permit wouldnt be required for "business meetings" and guess what they would have sponsorship from a local entity to get the visa

To be honest, I'll start caring if I see someone get prosecuted, and not before. So far as I am aware working illegally results in deportation not blacklisting, so it's not a huge risk for someone who wishes to stay long term in Thailand anyway. They could just come back and restructure their arrangements.

Right now, whether earning income online without a work permit is legal or not is honestly the last of my worries. Slightly behind whether or not the tenderloin my wife picks up from the market is tender or not.

Speaks volumes that the people who actually seem to care are neither the authorities, nor 'digital nomads' themselves.

nice to hear you finally own up doing illegal stuff.

hope for you get away with it for a long time

I'm not 'owning up' to anything.

Depressingly predictable to see that your habit of reading what is not written is not limited to Thai legal code.

Bore off.

so you working illegaly and are a tax dodger

No you are just a relic from the past and have no idea how the modern world works. That scares you so you have to be aggressive.

The world is changing and the way that people make money is changing and countries are realizing that. Unfortunately some posters on here don't see that. You time has gone. You are a relic in a new world. The more you post the more you confirm for most readers that this is true. Some of the posts on this thread are truly pathetic. Just showing that you have no idea the way the world works now.

Archived