TAT guns us down with 'Thainess' and it feels awesome (video)

webfact

TAT guns us down with 'Thainess' and it feels awesome (VIDEO)
By Coconuts Bangkok

BANGKOK: -- Has the Tourism Authority of Thailand been taken over by savvy artisans who understand how to promote the national image?

In a campaign targeting domestic travelers, a matronly, monotone voice that sounds out of an old documentary film breaks down all the Thai things to do, eat, visit, see and buy in this land of Thais.

"Have Thai breakfast. Eat Thai sausage, Thai poached egg, Thai pancake, and stop ... pay respect to Thai national anthem ... then go eat Pad Thai and Thai fried frog." the voice instructs over a blitzkrieg of fast cuts illustrating the sublime, strange and happily familiar things to be discovered on holiday." [read more...]

Full story: http://bangkok.coconuts.co//2015/01/23/tat-guns-us-down-thainess-and-it-feels-awesome-video

cocon.jpg
-- Coconuts Bangkok 2015-01-23

So....TAT want to promote Thailand to.....Thais!

Maybe someone there has foresight, and realises that if the bad international press about the systemic ripoff of foreign visitors continues they'll be needing more domestic tourism in the near future just to keep that industry alive. I wonder how successful they'll be at ripping off their own kind when the time comes.

• Like 2

Have to admit that it's a pretty good production.....Korncob/Kobcorn (?? whatever)...must have, at the least, a little vision to come up with this video......unfortunately, it's obvious she also doesn't understand, that outside Thailand, there's a big world full of non Thai speaking people................a great promo video...but it's only for Thais.....so a big fail for the TAT from the international community!!

Next??

• Like 1

Agree, it was pretty good. Quite a few places I would like to see and some things I would like to do and eat.

There must be an English version, otherwise, it was a wasted effort.

Shuffling money around Thailand from Thais on vacation is probably not the best tourism outcome. Certainly doesn't count towards tourism arrivals...

What no taxis? or tuk tuks taking you to a gem dealer ....

Nice video and shows lots to see and do ... really too bad Thailand keeps finding ways to shoot itself in the photo

Tourists murders, protests shutting cities and the constant coups ...

Oh well you can do and see pretty much the same stuff in Myanmar ...

Get overcharged in Thai.

Get conned in Thai.

Suffer runny bowel syndrome a la Thai.

Marvel at trash everywhere courtesy of Thai.

Be thrilled by magnificent road accidents and derailing trains a la Thai.

Get woken up at dawn thanks to noise pollution a la Thai.

Provide urine samples publicly to Thai (police).

Lose your house, car and last shirt to Thai.

Be cheated in business by Thai.

And I almost forgot: Nice video, stylishly produced. Unfortunately it's all in Thai.

But perhaps there's a dubbed version for overseas markets...

clap2.gif

Nice Video, however, western countries could never promote their domestic tourism with a dub text like the TAT-clip. All the off-voice says is: travel, relax, party, dance enjoy thai things, in thay style, the thay way, with thai people. See thai things, hear thai music from thais for thais, eat thai-food prepared by thais and dedicated to thais etc. and so on. If this was all you could hear in a spot for german tourism everybody would say the whole ad is egoistic, racist, nationalistic, chauvinist and simply "nazi".

• Like 1

Nothing special about that video other than it is better than their usual garbage. It's fast editing, filtered video, and shot properly. That's how it should look. Perhaps they are just getting with the times.

I thought it was good, TAT have always (last 30 years) promoted heavily internal Thai tourism, this year will be very important for provincial resort & hotel owners to increase local guests as the independent farang travellers are not coming.

It's interesting that TAT measure success by arrival numbers, I'm arriving soon but only staying a few nights and then spending a month in Myanmar, then back for a few nights, I will still count as a success story, twice!

• Like 1

Have to admit that it's a pretty good production.....Korncob/Kobcorn (?? whatever)...must have, at the least, a little vision to come up with this video......unfortunately, it's obvious she also doesn't understand, that outside Thailand, there's a big world full of non Thai speaking people................a great promo video...but it's only for Thais.....so a big fail for the TAT from the international community!!

Next??

because the 17 English teachers who were busy with the English version got busted a few days ago in Chiang Mai...

• Like 2

Get overcharged in Thai.

Get conned in Thai.

And I almost forgot: Nice video, stylishly produced. Unfortunately it's all in Thai.

perfect subject for the wimpies crying.gifcrying.gif

I thought it was good, TAT have always (last 30 years) promoted heavily internal Thai tourism, this year will be very important for provincial resort & hotel owners to increase local guests as the independent farang travellers are not coming.

It's interesting that TAT measure success by arrival numbers, I'm arriving soon but only staying a few nights and then spending a month in Myanmar, then back for a few nights, I will still count as a success story, twice!

I agree. Tourism covers both domestic and international avenues. This video is obviously for the domestic target market, and would be quite easy to convert with a simple translation dub to English.

Liked it, but wish they would slow the changing of the frames....at my age I had trouble keeping up! wai.gif

Get overcharged in Thai.

Get conned in Thai.

Bad night or bad hangover??:o