what is there to do and see in south thailand?

wanderluster

I have lived in LOS for the last 9 yrs and have covered most of it 2 or 3 times but have never been south of suat thani. me and the gf are planning on spending a couple weeks driving around that part of the country, and just wondering if anyone has any recommendations other than beaches and temples.. live on the beach and am templed out, unless it is something really unique..

thanks for your positive ideas..

I toured the south a few times, some 20 years ago on a motorbike. Was always good fun.

Start off in Ao Luk (north of Krabi) and visit the small, but very beautiful national Park Thanbok Koronee with its azure streams and limesone cliffs.

Then Krabi and Wat Tham Sua, where you can tackle the 1200 plus and steep steps up to Buddhas footprint, and a great 360 degree view.

Trang, with a good night market and national park, on the road towards Phattalung.

Satun and its islands.

Hat Yai for shopping.

And maybe a few days on Penang/Malaysia.

That's plenty to see in 2 weeks.

Sure have a look around Hat Yai.....should be a real blast!

But seriously, the furthest south I have been is Krabi, and I found the people there to be unsmiling and simply rude. Completely opposite to my experiences in central and north Thailand. Not sure if this is a Muslim thing or not, but it was prevalent with staff in the hotel, restaurants and travel agencies.

• Like 2

Hmm my wife is from Songkhla and as such we spend quite a bit of time down there.......

hmmmmm......its a nice town, as is hat yai and pattani.....

hmmm...lots of great food, very spicy fish curries.....errr

GOT IT !!!! they just opened a new petting zoo with real sheep in Songkhla !!! enjoy my friend :-)

Southern Thailand is friendly enough, people in the south talk quicker and somewhat more harshly then somewhere like Chiang Mai but it's no more different than say Yorkshire v Wiltshire; nothing to do with Muslims.

The Khao Nam Khang tunnels (communist insurgency hide out) is well worth a visit.

• Like 1

Where do you live now ? If you can't handle anymore caves, temples, waterfalls and beaches .. Best think about another country.

We live in Hat Yai and just had 4 days just in the mainland of Trang province .. Just the same but not much different but it was the experience, the exploring, the dead ends and change of scene that made it all interesting. Even the food is different between all the southern provinces, if that's your thing.

• Like 1

Yep, Wat Tam Sua Krabi, stunning view from the top. Just south of Krabi some lovely Hot Springs, Caves just North of Trang, cut across to Phattalung, Thale Noi, huge wildlife bird santuary and beautil flowers,and Sonkla lake, biggest inland lake in Thailand, cheap golf in Hat Yai, loads of waterfalls along the mountain rage that divides east from west coast. I actually like the Southern Thai people, a litlle curt at times compared to Northern Thai but get past that an they are really friendly, as usual wherever you are here, the smile helps....

• Like 1

Thali Noi lake is worth a long tail boat tour... two or three hours is enough to see much of it, I have done that several timesthumbsup.gif

it's lovely lake with lots of interest from birds to water lilies .... (East of Pathalung (sp) ) or west of Ranot, and drive over the long bridge... it's fairly well marked.

There are a number of National parks, usually worth a look see... Beach areas on east coast are more for the local fishermen, until one gets closer to Songkhla city...

Roads from the areas I have been have always been good and without much traffic (except Had Yai of course~!)

I have Trang coastal region on my "hit list" for this year, from all accounts it an interesting area to see... thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

Khao Sok National Park not too far from Surat ( The drive from Surat to Ranong is very nice)

http://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g297917-d455332-r248592444-Khao_Sok_National_Park-Surat_Thani_Surat_Thani_Province.html#photos

Museum of Southern Thai Studies on tiny Ko Yo ( and island with a bridge in an unbelievable lake ) behind Songkla Townhttp://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g317134-d456279-r132805315-Ko_Yo-Songkhla_Songkhla_Province.html

Emerald pools in Krabi

https://www.google.com/search?q=Emerald+Lake+Krabi&rlz=1C1AFAB_enTH441TH441&espv=2&biw=1517&bih=714&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=esHDVPe0FY7t8AXzzIH4Cw&ved=0CCYQsAQ&dpr=0.9

Sea canoe exploring fabulous limestone carsts in Krabi ( research companies)

http://www.railay.com/railay/intro/kayak_intro.shtml

• Like 2

Hmm my wife is from Songkhla and as such we spend quite a bit of time down there.......

GOT IT !!!! they just opened a new petting zoo with real sheep in Songkhla !!! enjoy my friend :-)

Ah, a sheep petting zoo. Hoping to attract the many New Zealander expats I'd guess. wub.pngtongue.png Happy Australia Day to all you Aussies

Oh by the way, just asking but who declared them to be real sheep, after all many call this the land of fakes.

Edited by Si Thea01

Where do you live now ? If you can't handle anymore caves, temples, waterfalls and beaches .. Best think about another country.

We live in Hat Yai and just had 4 days just in the mainland of Trang province .. Just the same but not much different but it was the experience, the exploring, the dead ends and change of scene that made it all interesting. Even the food is different between all the southern provinces, if that's your thing.

First paragraph seems unnecessary and presumptuous.

Well the Phanga Nga area is nice.. tourism is limited so the place as its own original charm...

you have done the beach and temple tour.. what else is there.. yes a challenge... shopping Hat yai the street shops.. are fun at times.

In the Nakon Si Thammarat area, you have the silver shops and otop in the Amphur Muang... this is good for a check and see.

The Kanom beach areas are just nice to drive by.. have coffee..

Enjoy the travels..

• Like 1

First paragraph seems unnecessary and presumptuous.

Not really, the guy said he lives on the beach .. there are beaches and there are beaches ..

I live half hour from the beach, but I wouldn't get my trunks on and go for a dip on a Sunday afternoon with all the fully clothed locals flying kites.

However, I could recommend the Tarutao national park, the Trang islands. I lived on Ko Lanta for a couple of years before there was a real road on it.

I also meant it in all seriousness - Every couple of years we go over to Vietnam for a month - mountains, bikes and cold weather.

I actually find comment about Hat Yai / Songkhla / southerners / travel warnings un-necessary .. but no need to mention it.

.. I forget, Benmart, did you make a valuable contribution to the post ?

• Like 1

Ah, a sheep petting zoo. Hoping to attract the many New Zealander expats I'd guess. wub.pngtongue.png Happy Australia Day to all you Aussies

Oh by the way, just asking but who declared them to be real sheep, after all many call this the land of fakes.

And outside the zoo they sell the rubber boots tongue.png

Two weeks is quite a long time to tour just the south. My suggestions for what they are worth, starting from Chumphon:

1. Head to Ranong, windy road but nice scenery. Not a great deal to do there when you arrive though, eat boiled eggs from the hot springs, Ranang Canyon, longtail to Burma or ferry to Andaman Club.

2. Ranong, head south towards

Sure have a look around Hat Yai.....should be a real blast!

But seriously, the furthest south I have been is Krabi, and I found the people there to be unsmiling and simply rude. Completely opposite to my experiences in central and north Thailand. Not sure if this is a Muslim thing or not, but it was prevalent with staff in the hotel, restaurants and travel agencies.

Yes, its a Muslim thing - I have experienced this several times in Krabi.

Although they are indeed miserable and unsmiling (even unfriendly and unhelpful) , they are much more honest people than regular Thais.

• Like 1

I can't agree with South's statement that two weeks is a long time, the key thing is to stop for a few days, and really get to know the area... do small side trips from "base camp" ... there is often more than meets the eye, sometimes on side roads... Keeping to the main roads often by-passes places of interest...

I can't say that I have encountered the problem with unfriendly Muslims either.... anywhere in the south.... (even the three so called "no go" provinces....)

Just stop in an area and relax for a day or three ... rather than just keep driving watch for signs for places of interest! A few people here have mentioned some of them... thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy

Sorry Jimmy, we will have to agree to disagree. If it is the OPs first time in the south, then surely he will want to see different parts and

not just be confined to one or two areas. So, in this suggested route, there is not too much daily driving and there is a variety of stopping off places. (If you especially like somewhere, stay longer!)

Most of my previous post vanished somewhere! Anyway, a continuation of my suggested route ...

I presume the OP will be driving down from the north

1. When you get to Chumphon, take the road west (Road 4) and head towards Ranong. It is quite a windy road but passes through some nice scenery. Not really much of interest that I remember until you get to Ranong. Ranong is also a border run town and you may well see people long-tailing it or going to the Andaman Club for their visa run. I’d suggest staying over night here as there is not a lot of accommodation options for quite some distance. I usually stay at the Ranong Princess.

Things to do here: Hot springs, Ranong canyon.

2. Back in the driving seat and continue south on Route 4. The road is quite ‘fast’ in places but be aware that every now and then there are deceptively tight corners which can be quite dangerous, more-so if it has been raining. Ranong province has the highest rainfall in Thailand. There are waterfalls all the way down but most charge a NP fee and a waterfalls is a waterfalls to me so I would just pass them by. Enjoy the scenery. Anyway, keep going on the 4 all the way until you come to a T-junction just north of Takuapa. Here take the left road, the 401 and follow if for 25mins or so until you get to Khao Sok. There are a few resorts around, I like the Khoa Sok Treehouse and stay here the night. You should have a few hours left to explore the area.

Things to do here: It is one of the biggest national parks in the south, just explore.

3. Once on the main road, go back the way you came, west towards Takuapa. Drive through Takuapa and a few km’s south of Takuapa is Nam Khem orphanage, an orphanage set up to help children who suffered in the 2004 tsunami. Visit it, meet the kids and see the stuff they are doing, a nice if little humbling experience. A few more km’s down the road is Ban Nam Khem, the village worst affected by the tsunami. I was there the day after the tsunami and the devastation was unreal. It has since been rebuilt and there is a tsunami memorial park there but last time it was looking a little neglected. Back to the main road, head south again and basically keep going stopping off at anywhere you think is interesting (Khoa Lak, the turtle centre in Thai Mueng, the small aquarium just north of Khokloi are suggestions). Anyway, keep following the signs for Phuket and once you cross the Sarisin Bridge you are in Phuket. You are on your own here, Phuket Town for a little heritage, Patong for party, Kata Noi et al for relaxing. It is up to you. Again stay here as long as you like.

Things to do here: Phuket is a big touristy island, lots to do and see. If you have children ‘Fantasea’ on Kamala Beach is a cultural experience that is very popular.

4. Back on the road again. Head back towards the Sarasin Bridge and follow the 402 and signs for Phangnga (you rejoin Route 4). As you enter Phangnga Town, you will see some elephant statues on the side of the road. This is the entrance to Tham Pung Chang, a km long venture through the middle of the mountain. Huge caverns, tight holes to squeeze though and bamboo rafting, all in the bowels of the mountain. Phangnga is a typical Thai town with very few tourists. Find a restaurant on the river and enjoy a meal.

(If you want to do a Phangnga Bay trip to see Koh Panyee (floating village) or Koh Tapu (James Bond island) and the mangroves, it would be best if you overnighted here. Phangang Inn is a good place to stay and to book a longtail, ask for a guy called Hassim in the MT Hotel in the town centre by the traffic lights.)

Back to the main road and head north following the signs for Krabi.(There is a short cut but hard to explain - your GPS if you have one might take you that way) A few clicks before you get to Krabi, there is a turning on the right for Aunang. Head for Aunang and enjoy the scenery. There are two main beaches here, Noparat and Aunang both quite nice in their own way. If you don’t like beaches, head for Krabi Town which is 2o mins away. Overnight here.

Things to do here: Krabi is more of a Thai Town but there some nice eateries by the river and in the day time Wat Tham Sua on the outskirts might be worth a visit. If you are feeling energetic you can climb to the top for a great view of the surrounding countryside.

5. Head east on the 4, past the airport and keep going following the signs for Trang. Trang has a couple of nice beaches and some lovely islands but as you are all beached out we will bypass them. Continue on through Trang following the road to Phattalung where you join the main Asia Highway. Turn right here and continue all the way to Hatyai. Plenty of hotels in the centre to choose from and a few good little music bars in the area. Good place to overnight.

Things to do here: Shopping and ok nightlife.

6. Good morning. Head for Songkhla Town, about 30 mins away depending on traffic. Have a drive along the beach road, a walk around if you want. When you are ready to continue your journey follow the water to near the dock area and there is a little car ferry. Take the ferry and once back on the road head north. It is a nice drive, not too much traffic and you follow the coast. When you get to Ranot you can turn left there if you like to see Talay Noi. a marine park popular for its abundance of bird life and fauna.If not, continue up to and follow the signs to Nakhonsithammarat. You will pass Pak Phanang, a Thai town famous for the bird houses, condiminim style buildings especially built for swiftlets/swallows to nest in. The town is full of them. There is also a selection of restaurants to the west of the town on the river as well as a royal residence further on. Carry on to Nakhonsithammarat, you can overnight here if you like, The Grand Park or the slightly cheaper Thai Hotel are centrally located.

Things to do here: Shopping and ok nightlife but it is spread out. Some old temples here, Wat Phramahatat being the most famous and the symbol of the province. Nakonsithammarat is famous for its silverware, shadow puppets (there is a shadow puppet museum) and enamelware. Tung Talad park is also worth a visit. A few farang hangouts, Rock99 near your hotel being one of them.Western food and beers.

7. Head north once again on Route4012 then 401. You will pass ThaSala and Sichon and when you see the pink dolphin statues, turn right onto Route4014. If you follow that until you can’t go any further you will be on Khanom Beach. A long mainly deserted beach with a few little resorts and restaurants scattered around. CharliesCC is worth a call in for food. If you are in the south, you may want to go to one of the islands. If you do head the way you came and when you see the police box on the left, turn right and follow the road to Donsak. Here there are 2 ferry terminals, Seatrans and Raja. Seatrans is the most popualar but I prefer Raja because to me they were the originals from that area. Koh Samui is 1 and half hours and Koh Phangngan 2 and half hours. Take your pick and enjoy. Overnight on an island. Koh Phangngan can be very busy around full moon party time.

Things to do: Explore the island, chill out or shop.

8. Back to the ferry port and take the ferry back to the mainland. Follow the signs for Surat Thani and then it is up to you as they say.

This is what my suggestions are and what I tell friends who want t drive around the south is a fairly good route. I have omitted some place such as South of Hatyai, Koh Lanta, Ratchaprapa Dam and a few others due to time.

Just get out there and enjoy.

Your above post there is off the board, so not going to "quote"! (how did that happen!?) I sent report to see if Mods can fix that!

I don't disagree with many of the places you mention, South.... I've seen some but not all.... (yet!) ....I never said confine the trip to one or two areas... it's not an epic journey around the southern areas!

There is tons to see and do.... Depending on time of year, stopping in Khoa Sok, can be very interesting... and that surrounding area including the dam area.

A hike up and see Surrat Thanni's provincial flower, the Raffleasia... usually can be found between January and April.... It would depend on whether the OP is "nature lover"... different things interest different people!

More the point was, just don't just keep on driving down the main roads... take side trips.... and ask locals if they can suggest interesting places.... there is lots more than meets the eye!

As you say "chill out" and take things in, without being in a huge rush! thumbsup.gif

Edited by samuijimmy