Trip Report: Phuket to Bangkok

themechanic

Went by Surat Thani and the Chumpon route. Left Phuket at 8PM and arrived at Ekamai at 9AM (driving fast with only 3 stops). The tarmac on the roads is generally good, but the roads are poorly lit and there is almost no traffic at all. There were 2 check points en route. One at Surat Thani and one coming in to Bangkok.

The trip back took much longer, driving at a relaxed pace. Unfortunately I took the same route (I had wanted to explore the Khao Lak coastal route...), and thistime it was closer to an 18 hour trip.

2 things to watch out for in Bangkok:

The toll roads. I spent 300-500 baht daily just on the Tolls. Do not trust your GPS. Switch it off and explore the roads and get a feel for it in your own head. It's not about the money but the principle. Why would you want to pay so much when there are free roads just beneath them. And the residents of Bangkok sure as hell don't pay as much, they get monthly passes.

And the parking. There is no parking ticket system. They put a clamp on the front wheel of the car. My car got clamped twice. You need a Thai speaker to call the local traffic police because of the language barrier. And then they come and collect the fine before taking off the clamp. It's 500 or 1000 Baht.

I did this trip once from Pattaya. It took me 13 hours with two short breaks. I left around 6 in the morning and crossed the bridge into phuket around 7pm. I wasn't stopped by the fuzz once in either direction. This was awhile back but recall only one stretch of bad road...it was either just south of cha-am or Hua Hin, where the road was really rutted for aN hour or so. You're really brave to do that run, or any long highway drive, in Thailand at night.

I did this trip once from Pattaya. It took me 13 hours with two short breaks. I left around 6 in the morning and crossed the bridge into phuket around 7pm. I wasn't stopped by the fuzz once in either direction. This was awhile back but recall only one stretch of bad road...it was either just south of cha-am or Hua Hin, where the road was really rutted for aN hour or so. You're really brave to do that run, or any long highway drive, in Thailand at night.

I did a night drive from Had Yai to Phuket once. Left at 17:00 and arrived at my home in Phuket at 00:30. Only 'temporarily confused' once. Roads good. My Thai neighbor was not only impressed that i did it but totally impressed that I would even attempt it.

Parts of the road did have potholes and bumps but these were well marked with the flashing cones/beacons with a triangle.

And I'm from India so this was actually a pleasant and civilized drive for me lol. I've driven from Kashmir all the way to the southern tip of India. And that was Russian roulette in comparison lol.

Thailand is indeed a large country though. Bangkok is only half way to Chiang Mai from Phuket.

Edited by themechanic

2 things to watch out for in Bangkok:

The toll roads. I spent 300-500 baht daily just on the Tolls. Do not trust your GPS. Switch it off and explore the roads and get a feel for it in your own head. It's not about the money but the principle. Why would you want to pay so much when there are free roads just beneath them. And the residents of Bangkok sure as hell don't pay as much, they get monthly passes.

And the parking. There is no parking ticket system. They put a clamp on the front wheel of the car. My car got clamped twice. You need a Thai speaker to call the local traffic police because of the language barrier. And then they come and collect the fine before taking off the clamp. It's 500 or 1000 Baht.

inconsiderate parking... arrogant visitors

Do you not know the difference between a parking ticket, a parking meter and putting a physical lock/clamp on the wheel of a car?

The rules are hard to decipher with some areas being marked as allowed to park in only on even or odd dates.